iOS iPad Air and iOS n00b - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@red-devil
@avi I think the passwords are asked pretty much every time I try to install an app..
Looks like somehow chrome can play things like live tv on ndtv.com in the background.. I'm actually doing that right now ;-)
This may even make me not return it :p

Btw are you done with your review? I'm eager to read your take on iPad air..[DOUBLEPOST=1386729796][/DOUBLEPOST]Another question: is there a way to prevent the auto reload of web pages? I thought only safari did that but now I see that even chrome does it..any add on or something to block this?
Actually I have many pending downloads in my iTunes account. So I came to know that its because of that. I have some 40GB of pending downloads, will complete them sometime and then see if I have same problem.

Make sure you are using the same iTunes account, see that here Settings > iTunes & Appstore, your Apple ID should be there at top. And also see, Settings > General > Restrictions > Require password, hope it is not set to immediate or something.

Auto reload is not exactly an issue (if I am not wrong), to have a fix. I mean it's expected to happen. It's also one of overblown issues of apple products. It is due to low RAM of iPad. So unless Apple increases their iPad's RAM, it will be there. And buttholes at Cupertino think they are great at optimizing & stuff, so they will never acknowledge this problem of iPad. When you open a new tab in Safari, if there is less memory available (God knows how it will be less memory even with 1GB of RAM :rage:), Safari just dumps all of the content of previous tabs. Only solution is, close all the memory hogging, RAM requiring apps. Do not open big apps which take huge chunk of RAM. Keep minimal apps open and it will work fine. Just yesterday I opened 5 tabs and youtube was playing in background and I made a post here in TE, it worked fine.

It sucks but there seems to be no solution other than this or increasing the RAM. Or there could be some memory leak bug.

I am not getting enough time for review, will take few more days :shifty:

btw here is one Infinity blade II Redeem code for you, have fun : MJNMWMWTH3JP

:p

If above code didn't work or if someone already grabbed, then let me know.. I will give you one more

Sorry didn't try the code..can you pm me one if you've got tons of these to spare? If someone wants to use this one, then let them :)

Guys I just tried to stream video from my laptop to the iPad - some MKV file that I have on my laptop - I used VLC but that thing tried to convert the video (i think) and that's when it completely used up the CPU on my laptop (95% used by VLC). Is there any way to avoid such conversion on the PC and may be let the conversion happen on the tablet itself?

I don't know if it sounds stupid but the reason I don't want something using up my computer's CPU is because I want to use my PC to do some stuff that can't be done on the ipad..but the I don't know if iPad by itself can support/afford to support video conversion given that it may not have enough resources..

Am I going about this the wrong way??

Guys I just tried to stream video from my laptop to the iPad - some MKV file that I have on my laptop - I used VLC but that thing tried to convert the video (i think) and that's when it completely used up the CPU on my laptop (95% used by VLC). Is there any way to avoid such conversion on the PC and may be let the conversion happen on the tablet itself?

I don't know if it sounds stupid but the reason I don't want something using up my computer's CPU is because I want to use my PC to do some stuff that can't be done on the ipad..but the I don't know if iPad by itself can support/afford to support video conversion given that it may not have enough resources..

Am I going about this the wrong way??

One of the reasons among others which led me to sell off my iPad.
Try OPlayer HD. It will see your shared folders and let you stream content without any need for conversion. Used to work well with 720p stuff but 1080p used to be jittery.

It's not stupid, it's how it should be. When iPad is perfectly capable of playing everything, then use PC's CPU. Anyways, following are the options :

1. Free solution : UMS on PC + VLC on iPad (I have not tested it yet)
2. Free solution : Plex on PC + VLC on iPad (may tax PC CPU usage, however everything I tested, ran perfectly)
3. Paid : Air Video HD

It's better to make this dedicated iPad thread.

Last edited:
@rdst_1 thanks! OPlayer worked like a charm! Didn't have to set up any server/run any application on my PC!

@avi give OPlayer a shot - I didn't get to test all kinds of rips (1080p, 720 etc) but whatever I tried worked - so try it and maybe it will be helpful in your review post (which is long overdue, if I may add :p)

:p getting busy in work and stuff, thats why it is taking time....

sure, will check OPlayer[DOUBLEPOST=1387295721][/DOUBLEPOST]@red-devil how are you streaming with O Player HD? HTTP or Samba?

Last edited:
I use linux primarily. SO have no way to install iTunes.

Is there any other way to sync?

Best would be if i can transfer files over wifi to my iPad and use some player which can play from the filesystem . Possible?

I use linux primarily. SO have no way to install iTunes.

Is there any other way to sync?

Best would be if i can transfer files over wifi to my iPad and use some player which can play from the filesystem . Possible?
Yes, it is possible. You can transfer files over WiFi to iPad. But instead I would suggest streaming.

And also, you can install iTunes in a virtual machine and use it.

@rdst_1 thanks! OPlayer worked like a charm! Didn't have to set up any server/run any application on my PC!

@avi give OPlayer a shot - I didn't get to test all kinds of rips (1080p, 720 etc) but whatever I tried worked - so try it and maybe it will be helpful in your review post (which is long overdue, if I may add :p)

My pleasure. I personally had to spend nearly 1k on different apps before I found OPlayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back