Budget Above 40k iPhone 13 vs Samsung galaxy s22

Working with the cloud is fine but if you read @icysmoke experiences connecting an iPhone to a windows PC?

The simple act of copying to the PC is not reliable. And the reason to do this is you don't want to use the cloud.

Do you really need to install iTunes to make this work?
I always sync everything using OneDrive on all devices, however, I did connect my iPhone to my Windows 11 PC for the first time and all images and videos are visible in the DCIM folder, organised month-wise. So, issue seems to be something specific to the person or the device.

Attachments

• 2022-08-04.png
    2022-08-04.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 66
I came late to this party. I cannot believe that 'even in 2022' we are talking about manually copying data from phone to computer. I have been using iPhone 13 for two months and even to this day, I have not installed iTunes on my PC. Reason? Cloud storage. I have OneDrive 1TB storage that I use across all my devices. Every thing from my primary iPhone, secondary Oneplus 8, iPad and whatever work I do on my PC gets synced to same storage. I do not understand why people still cling on to dinosaur age process and points just to say that there is something bad about a phone?

I rely on office apps and I use MS 365 personal plan that I renew every year. Everything gets synced to OneDrive and I do not have to manually copy stuff from device to device. If you one is fully into Apple Ecosystem, he/she can use airdrop or iCloud storage (200GB costs 250 per month I believe).
Microsoft scans Onedrive data(since at least 2012 Skydrive) and regularly shuts down accounts so not a good place for any critical data, unless encrypted user-side to prevent scanning. Also, copying data from phone to pc few metres apart via a cable is the obvious process, which is broken in iPhones. Even with iTunes all files are can't be copied, needed a third-party tool from Easeus to do so.

Tried with both wife's and my phone. Tried with multiple cables and two different laptops. Windows recognises the device. But shows nothing inside. No folder no files.

Sometimes it does show files though. Fussy experience
Same here, Windows doesn't show any files and ITunes also had some file types missing. Had to use Easeus MobiMover to finally get the data out.

Same here, Windows doesn't show any files and ITunes also had some file types missing. Had to use Easeus MobiMover to finally get the data out.
This only happens when you don't trust the computer and allow it to access files on the phone on connecting the cable. If you don't get the prompt, then you have to uninstall the iPhone under USB devices in the Device Manager and then let it be detected again, at which point you will get the prompt to trust the device again on the iPhone.

This is a security implementation on iOS to prevent unauthorized access on new devices and unfortunately, Windows really has an issue delaing with this.

I always sync everything using OneDrive on all devices, however, I did connect my iPhone to my Windows 11 PC for the first time and all images and videos are visible in the DCIM folder, organised month-wise. So, issue seems to be something specific to the person or the device.
Yeah, it should be a straightforward operation. And you're the second to demonstrate it works in this thread too.

Can you try copying to and back a few GB worth to test?
This only happens when you don't trust the computer and allow it to access files on the phone on connecting the cable. If you don't get the prompt, then you have to uninstall the iPhone under USB devices in the Device Manager and then let it be detected again, at which point you will get the prompt to trust the device again on the iPhone.

This is a security implementation on iOS to prevent unauthorized access on new devices and unfortunately, Windows really has an issue delaing with this.
Bingo! before this security fix was put in the easiest way to grab data from unsuspecting people was at public charging booths where you had to connect your phone with whatever charging cable. The intention was good, an emergency top-up when you were out but got exploited.

That got the wireless charging tech going.

Last edited:
Back