Budget Above 40k iPhone 13 vs Samsung galaxy s22

Apple's lightning to usba cable is rated at 5Gbps
You should see 70-100MB/s consistent transfer speeds with that. For large multi GB files.
But I see only 4 pins/pads on the USB-A side of my Apple USB-A to Lightning cable (original, included in the box) and then it should only support upto 480Mb/s.

I just connected my iPhone 13 to Windows 11 PC, something that I never did. Guess what, I see all my photos and videos in Explorer. Why are you trying to use iTunes? Am I missing anything here?
Try copying 2-3GB of photos and you'll realise what you are missing. :p It sometimes works, most of the times it won't. I have approx 180GB of photos/videos on my friend's old iPhone and I gave up after successfully and frustratingly copying 10-15GB to my Windows system. The old iPhone lies there with all the photos.

BTW can I just plug iPhone in a Mac and copy all the photos as is?

Last edited:
But I see only 4 pins/pads on the USB-A side of my Apple USB-A to Lightning cable (original, included in the box) and then it should only support upto 480Mb/s.
Yeah, I'm noticing this typo(?) even on their website. This link says 5Gbps but the actual cable mentions USB2 or 480Mb/s

So which USB-A to lightning cable is rated for 5Gbps then? Only with an iPhone14 Pro for phones and it's a rumour.

Only iPad Pro has had USB3 ports since 2015. Suppose regular iPads are still USB2 then?

Keep in mind you will not see a 10x speed bump with USB3.1 as the read and write speed of the phone's memory becomes a limiting factor.

The thing is I only got 2x faster transfer speeds with a 5Gbps cable with my S20FE. compared to the stock cable and I suspect this will be similar even with the top-end Sammy's

This is disappointing since the UFS3 memory on my phone is capable of reading much faster according to UL's benchmarks as is the SSD write speeds on my laptop.
Tried with both wife's and my phone. Tried with multiple cables and two different laptops. Windows recognises the device. But shows nothing inside. No folder no files.

Sometimes it does show files though. Fussy experience
Why don't you ask some Apple reseller nearby your place? They can be helpful

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm noticing this typo(?) even on their website. This link says 5Gbps but the actual cable mentions USB2 or 480Mb/s

So which USB-A to lightning cable is rated for 5Gbps then? Only with an iPhone14 Pro for phones and it's a rumour.

Only iPad Pro has had USB3 ports since 2015. Suppose regular iPads are still USB2 then?

Keep in mind you will not see a 10x speed bump with USB3.1 as the read and write speed of the phone's memory becomes a limiting factor.

The thing is I only got 2x faster transfer speeds with a 5Gbps cable with my S20FE. compared to the stock cable and I suspect this will be similar even with the top-end Sammy's

This is disappointing since the UFS3 memory on my phone is capable of reading much faster according to UL's benchmarks as is the SSD write speeds on my laptop.

Why don't you ask some Apple reseller nearby your place? They can be helpful
Switched to Android as my primary. Tech should make life easy is the point. Jumping through hoops to do normal stuff is annoying. Transferred photos 1000 at a time using iCloud. Only lets you transfer 1000 at a time, how easy. You have 20 thousand photos, just repeat it 20 times while keeping notes of the last photo you copied. Easy peasy.

Anyway, enough ranting against the "ecosystem". My wife still loves her iPhone. She doesn't mind transferring 1k at a time. To each her own. Just clear to me that nothing is for everyone, no matter how many people vouch for it.

Switched to Android as my primary. Tech should make life easy is the point. Jumping through hoops to do normal stuff is annoying. Transferred photos 1000 at a time using iCloud. Only lets you transfer 1000 at a time, how easy. You have 20 thousand photos, just repeat it 20 times while keeping notes of the last photo you copied. Easy peasy.

Anyway, enough ranting against the "ecosystem". My wife still loves her iPhone. She doesn't mind transferring 1k at a time. To each her own. Just clear to me that nothing is for everyone, no matter how many people vouch for it.
Why though?
Just set icloud to sync locally . No?
Everything is permanently in sync both local and cloud.
One of the reasons i dislike android is precisely this - google does not let you do this any more

(FWIW, I have way more than 20K photos in sync this way.. literally all photos since the advent of digital photography in 2000)

I am not sure where this “ecosystem“ term came to be .. sure, it’s more convenient to have all your devices work seamlessly (well, nearly ) but even outside of a Mac/ ipad , there is nothing really that prevents another OS user from using iOS effectively

Everything is permanently in sync both local and cloud.
One of the reasons i dislike android is precisely this - google does not let you do this any more

I am not sure where this “ecosystem“ term came to be .. sure, it’s more convenient to have all your devices work seamlessly (well, nearly ) but even outside of a Mac/ ipad , there is nothing really that prevents another OS user from using iOS effectively
What is sync ? Is it the thing which forces exactly same files in every device ? For example, if I delete something in one device then the sync will delete it everywhere. If I accidently delete a big folder and I don't have enough to keep 100 GB in recently deleted then what will happen? Gone forever ? Does android stop you from syncing ? Does ios give you an option to either sync or use iCloud as an extra storage?
I think there are things which are weird in Apple for no reason. For example, when I connect an external drive to my iPad the photos app detects all the photos and makes copying very easy. But why can't it detect videos? I have to manually copy videos in files app and then save to photos app.

What is sync ? Is it the thing which forces exactly same files in every device ? For example, if I delete something in one device then the sync will delete it everywhere. If I accidently delete a big folder and I don't have enough to keep 100 GB in recently deleted then what will happen? Gone forever ? Does android stop you from syncing ? Does ios give you an option to either sync or use iCloud as an extra storage?
I think there are things which are weird in Apple for no reason. For example, when I connect an external drive to my iPad the photos app detects all the photos and makes copying very easy. But why can't it detect videos? I have to manually copy videos in files app and then save to photos app.
yes, android does not let you sync. Actually it isn’;t android per se.. its google that removed backup /sync ability to local for google photos. Give it a try.

The thing which is “weird” with apple is it does not conform to the traditional hierarchical file structure for photos/videos that we have been used to using for very many years and relies way more heavily on metadata based management.. And while I won’t disagree that the former has its advantages at times , the latter mechanism has its own benefits as well.

In either case, neither platform is perfect when it comes to media management . I have my own laundry list of complaints about how android handles media , especially HDR videos and heic images, not to mention the lack of live two way sync - but i’d argue that these are all inconveniences that can be worked around and not big enough to stop me from using android altogether.

yes, android does not let you sync. Actually it isn’;t android per se.. its google that removed backup /sync ability to local for google photos. Give it a try.

The thing which is “weird” with apple is it does not conform to the traditional hierarchical file structure for photos/videos that we have been used to using for very many years and relies way more heavily on metadata based management.. And while I won’t disagree that the former has its advantages at times , the latter mechanism has its own benefits as well.

In either case, neither platform is perfect when it comes to media management . I have my own laundry list of complaints about how android handles media , especially HDR videos and heic images, not to mention the lack of live two way sync - but i’d argue that these are all inconveniences that can be worked around and not big enough to stop me from using android altogether.
What is the advantage of iOS file system other than the entire memory available to use? Is there any files system reason why pictures can be imported but not videos even when photos app can display/play videos. It seems to not make any sense. Regarding syncing, what will happen if you accidently delete some folder on some device and there is not enough space to keep it in recently deleted ? Is it gone forever ?

Last edited:
What is the advantage of iOS file system other than the entire memory available to use? Is there any files system reason why pictures can be imported but not videos even when photos app can display/play videos. It seems to not make any sense. Regarding syncing, what will happen if you accidently delete some folder on some device and there is not enough space to keep it in recently deleted ? Is it gone forever ?
Memory management as you rightly pointed out.

The second part , which is more of a preference based thing is whether you prefer traditional hierachical file storage mechanisms over metadata tagging.
To me and many others, the latter provides a more seamless and ricer user experience.

FOr most software, MS has traditionally used hierarchical storage and continues to do so with some occasional attempts to move to the other side (Outlook is one exception)
Apple has tried to make a shift with iOS and also in Mac OS (although in the latter, user has the option to use 100% hierarchical if so preferred)

I won't argue which of the two approaches is better - but at the same time, I can't agree that the former is unequivocally better.

As for videos, I don't know why they can't be imported , i have not faced said issue..

Edit: This is what the MS support page says -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ne-to-pc-2e4e4db4-4c3d-041c-b88f-3ee4358dd95e
I am guessing here but do you have hevc/heic support on your PC? Try changing video format to mp4 and photos to jpeg on the phone if your PC does not support the newer format

Regarding your 2nd part on storage - I don't think its immediate deletion in any case. If you had something on the cloud, it will be retained for 30 days post deletion even if it causes a temporary increase in storage usage.. may be worth validating though. I like having headroom and would rather over provision for something as valuable as photos though

Last edited:

The second part , which is more of a preference based thing is whether you prefer traditional hierachical file storage mechanisms over metadata tagging.
To me and many others, the latter provides a more seamless and ricer user experience.

FOr most software, MS has traditionally used hierarchical storage and continues to do so with some occasional attempts to move to the other side (Outlook is one exception)
Apple has tried to make a shift with iOS and also in Mac OS (although in the latter, user has the option to use 100% hierarchical if so preferred)

I won't argue which of the two approaches is better - but at the same time, I can't agree that the former is unequivocally better.

As for videos, I don't know why they can't be imported , i have not faced said issue..

Edit: This is what the MS support page says -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ne-to-pc-2e4e4db4-4c3d-041c-b88f-3ee4358dd95e
I am guessing here but do you have hevc/heic support on your PC? Try changing video format to mp4 and photos to jpeg on the phone if your PC does not support the newer format
Didn't read the entire history but I use OneDrive on iOS and it syncs photos and videos, datewise. So, really not sure what the discussion is regarding media management on iOS.

I am still not sure what is the advantage of iOS file system. Regarding videos, whenever I connect an external drive to my iPad, the photos are available to import in photos app but not videos. Videos has to be imported via files app and then manually saved to photos app. This doesn't make any sense. Another thing which doesn't make any sense is no auto sorting of images in different folders like Android.

Regarding your 2nd part on storage - I don't think its immediate deletion in any case. If you had something on the cloud, it will be retained for 30 days post deletion even if it causes a temporary increase in storage usage.. may be worth validating though. I like having headroom and would rather over provision for something as valuable as photos though
Thanks for explaining in detail. Now at least it makes sense that there is some logic to iOS file management. As for the inconveniences, in your case they might not stop you from using android, in my case it is enough for me to stop using the iPhone. Plenty to like about it, but then it's about what a person values most and what are the dealbreakers. If tomorrow I can easily migrate photos to my windows/Linux pc, then I would happily move over to the iPhone. But then, apple doesn't want that :(

Didn't read the entire history but I use OneDrive on iOS and it syncs photos and videos, datewise. So, really not sure what the discussion is regarding media management on iOS.
Working with the cloud is fine but if you read @icysmoke experiences connecting an iPhone to a windows PC?

The simple act of copying to the PC is not reliable. And the reason to do this is you don't want to use the cloud.

Do you really need to install iTunes to make this work?

Working with the cloud is fine but if you read @icysmoke experiences connecting an iPhone to a windows PC?

The simple act of copying to the PC is not reliable. And the reason to do this is you don't want to use the cloud.

Do you really need to install iTunes to make this work?
Not too sure about that - The MS support page i linked a couple posts ago says simply connect via cable to copy over photos and videos to windows photos app so I am presuming it definitely works on some PCs..
Surely MS won't put it up on the official support page without testing ?

I don't have a windows PC any more to test this but could it be due to lack of heic/hevc support on older CPUs? Also, IIRC, enabling support for heic and hevc on windows required plugins from the MS store at least till windows 10.

iPhone defaults to heic / hevc unless you explictly set it to save in older formats. May be worth trying that with a clean library?

Not too sure about that - The MS support page i linked a couple posts ago says simply connect via cable to copy over photos and videos to windows photos app so I am presuming it definitely works on some PCs..

I don't have a windows PC any more to test this but could it be due to lack of heic/hevc support on older CPUs? Also, IIRC, enabling support for heic and hevc on windows required plugins from the MS store at least till windows 10.

iPhone defaults to heic / hevc unless you explictly set it to save in older formats. May be worth trying that with a clean library?
That is for a particular format of image and video file. If the iPhone saved files in that format they would not be readable.

But I don't think they would become invisible. The way he described made me suspect that the filesystem on the iPhone was not readable by windows or whatever installed driver was not stable.
Windows recognises the device. But shows nothing inside. No folder no files.

Sometimes it does show files though. Fussy experience
This kind of behaviour suggests windows does not have an appropriate driver to read the filesystem of the iPhone.

It works on my laptop too..maybe once out of 20 tries. And like I said before I have two iphones and two windows laptops at my place.
One is Ryzen 5500u another is Intel 10210u. Fairly recent CPUs both.

And please don't get me started on what Microsoft tests before putting out. Can rant for another full day about the wifi connection that has ping spikes of 1000ms every 10 seconds on windows but works fine on the same laptop on Linux (zorin). Have tried multiple guides in their support forums, changed wifi card, installed latest drivers, clean format, everything. The point is that Microsoft windows isn't as flawless a software experience as macos is. They hardly test things well before putting out

Last edited:

So long as one of you has an iPhone you still have to work with it. And I think it could be easier. There were cmd line Linux tools that could read iPods ages ago. Yes, I am saying you could work with an iPod without needing to have a mac.

What is the big deal about reading an iPhone on Windows then?

So long as one of you has an iPhone you still have to work with it. And I think it could be easier. There were cmd line Linux tools that could read iPods ages ago. Yes, I am saying you could work with an iPod without needing to have a mac.

What is the big deal about reading an iPhone on Windows then?
Wow didn't know that. Will read up on this if Linux can still integrate well with the iphones.

And please don't get me started on what Microsoft tests before putting out. Can rant for another full day about the wifi connection that has ping spikes of 1000ms every 10 seconds on windows but works fine on the same laptop on Linux (zorin). Have tried multiple guides in their support forums, changed wifi card, installed latest drivers, clean format, everything. The point is that Microsoft windows isn't as flawless a software experience as macos is. They hardly test things well before putting out
why do you think i gave up on windows altogether after almost 3 decades of usage.lol..

What’s sad is that Mac OS and iOS are also going down the a similar path .. everyone wants new ”features” with every release and a major release every year.
As a result, Current iterations of both Mac OS and iOS are a whole lot more prone to bugs than what it used to be earlier.

It’s nowhere as bad as windows though.
I kinda, sorta like Android as well, warts & all but simply cannot waste my time on windows PCs any more..
Anyway, enough OT :)

It works on my laptop too..maybe once out of 20 tries. And like I said before I have two iphones and two windows laptops at my place.
One is Ryzen 5500u another is Intel 10210u. Fairly recent CPUs both.

And macos is a flawless experience? Wanted better wifi range on my mbp, have an archer t3u plus usb3 wifi adapter. Plug it in, and nothing. Turns out the driver you need to install for it to work or won't even install under 11.x and later, without disabling SIP. Have to reboot into recovery to do that. Even better, it does not work on m1 at all, only intel macs.
Same wifi adapter works flawlessly on windows, just plug it in and "It Just Works"TM .
I do like macs for a lot of reasons, like the large trackpad that tracks perfectly, or the excellant hidpi support, and I like windows for its better task switcher (installed AltTab on mac), more customisation options and better support for older software/hardware, and I absolutely love debian minimal install for how lightweight it is, can run the os, a docker host and a fair number of lightweight containers on 1GiB ram.
Each os has its share of great features and missteps, that being said I despise apple for how closed they are, and how they are the special kid on the block who wants to do everything their own way. (Return/Enter to rename a file/folder? Are you insane?)

Last edited:
And macos is a flawless experience? Wanted better wifi range on my mbp, have an archer t3u plus usb3 wifi adapter. Plug it in, and nothing. Turns out the driver you need to install for it to work or won't even install under 11.x and later, without disabling SIP. Have to reboot into recovery to do that. Even better, it does not work on m1 at all, only intel macs.
Same wifi adapter works flawlessly on windows, just plug it in and "It Just Works"TM .
I do like macs for a lot of reasons, like the large trackpad that tracks perfectly, or the excellant hidpi support, and I like windows for its better task switcher (installed AltTab on mac), more customisation options and better support for older software/hardware, and I absolutely love debian minimal install for how lightweight it is, can run the os, a docker host and a fair number of lightweight containers on 1GiB ram.
Each os has its share of great features and missteps, that being said I despise apple for how closed they are, and how they are the special kid on the block who wants to do everything their own way. (Return/Enter to rename a file/folder? Are you insane?)
No one said it’s flawless.. it’s certainly less flawed though..

There is a huge difference between expecting something that isn’t supposed to work vs something that is supposed to work but works half the time (sleep/resume anyone?)
(In your example, you are forgetting that TPL never sold you that dongle claiming it is supported on Mac OS.. they sold it guaranteeing compatibility with windows.. So big whoop that it indeed works on windows ?)

Yes, windows certainly comes with greater flexibility in terms of choice of peripherals available or hardware for that matter -Esp The peripheral flexibility it offers is even greater than any linux distro, let alone Mac OS and only an idiot would deny that.

But said flexibility comes at a big cost - which is the amount of time required to keep things running as expected and/or occurrence of unexpected behavior in your daily workflow. This cost is something I could easily afford, hell, even enjoy when I was younger - but not anymore ..lol

Last edited:
Back