Is it worth buying a tablet ?

Anshul

Disciple
When smartphones arrived, I asked myself, what's the point of owning a smartphone, but once I actually bought it and used if for a while, I couldn't do without one.

I'm in the same situation today when it comes to tablets.

Having used a few... i just can't justify spending 30k+ on a decent tablet. Between smartphones and laptop+desktop , i have no time / use case scenario for a tablet. Take a look at it from that perspective and you should be able to judge.

How do you manage your day-to-day mundane work such as browsing the webs and forums, reading ebooks and comics, social networking, watching manga or a movie, listening to music, checking your mail, managing your systems through a remote desktop client, playing some time-killer games while commuting to work, using the AGPS utility to navigate across a street from your vehicle etc among others? Do you do all that on your smartphone? Or do you feel that your smartphone is a bottleneck for any of those activities? Like the screen for instance. Some of them are comfortable watching serial episodes on their 160GB iPod while commuting while some others may feel that the real estate is a tad too less and strains the eyes.

A tablet sits somewhere between a smartphone and a netbook but isn't as portable as a smartphone nor is it as bulky as a netbook and offers decent performance for day-to-day usage.

Even I had the same dilemma for quite some time. I finally decided it's not worth the money. It's more of a novelty item and I'm sure one would grow out of it pretty soon.

At best a tablet is an entertainment device - good for playing games, ebooks, some browsing etc. To that extent, it was not justified for me to spend 30k on an iPad. yes, I thought of a cheaper and decent Android based tab (e.g. Viewsonic gTablet at 16k) but never got around to convince myself to buy it. Moreover it looks delicate to carry around for daily usage.

I already have a netbook and to me that serves many more needs apart from the above (e.g. sync'ing my BlackBerry, torrent download machine, a full fledged physical QWERTY keyboard etc.). I dont think I can replace my Netbook with a Tablet.

Tablets are currently new and luxury items.

Within five years every high school student would have a tablet and nobody will be able to live without one. Laptops and phones may no longer be needed once tablets become powerful and allow phone integration.

So if you want to catch the tide early the time is now.

I myself hated tablets for I saw them as a waste of money. But once I bought one, I can never make do without one any longer, I no longer use my laptop and use my desktop only half of what I used to. This is already my third tablet

An ideal tablet should be a netbook/laptop replacement gadget. It should not be another device that you have to lug around along with your laptop/netbook. Most current day tablets are little more than smartphones with larger screens and tend to fail at being a netbook/laptop replacement for most people.

Evaluate your needs. If you feel that you can make do with a tablet and a smartphone when you are on the move, then get a tablet. If you find that you need to carry a laptop/netbook even when you have a tablet, then the tablet is not the gadget for you.

A lot of people have been buying tablets impulsively, only to end up finding that they have no way of using them productively and ultimately the tablets end up gathering dust in some corner. A few months back, a colleague of mine was contemplating between getting a Mac Book and an iPad2. He ended up getting the top end iPad2 64GB WiFi + 3G model after spending nearly 50k to get it imported through his friend in Australia. After his initial week of excitement, he found it didn't suit his needs at all. He found he still needed that MacBook anyway. He is not using the iPad at all and it ended up being an expensive plaything for his 3 year old. His kid is the only one who is still using it in his house. So make make sure that you can put the tablet to use before you get one.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rite said:
I myself hated tablets for I saw them as a waste of money. But once I bought one, I can never make do without one any longer, I no longer use my laptop and use my desktop only half of what I used to. This is already my third tablet

It simply means that you never had any major use for a laptop or a desktop. All you ever needed in terms of functionality was satisfied by a smartphone with the exception that you wanted a conveniently larger screen. However it doesn't mean that it has to be that way for everyone else too. People ought to buy based on what their needs are.

Lord Nemesis said:
A lot of people have been buying tablets impulsively, only to end up finding that they have no way of using them productively and ultimately the tablets end up gathering dust in some corner.
Or in my case, my iPad2 gathering dust in my suitcase.. :(

^^ Exactly this. @OP : As of today , a tablet won't offer you much more than a larger screen area for a smartphone OS. Things might change with Windows 8 but that is still a while away.

I work extensively online and I can offer you some perspective

Desktop(60k)/Desktop replacement Laptop + Tablet on move(30k) + Mid range Smartphone(15k) [Lifestyle users/Entertainment purposes]

Desktop(60k)/Desktop replacement Laptop + Netbook(20k) + High end smartphone(25k) [Productivity users/Business purposes]

Personally I think the second one makes more sense. Bcs Phone is more portable and you can use it for all those small tasks like replying emails and looking up the internet using GPRS/3G and use the netbook for things which require access to certain files and softwares.

PS: Purely a personal opinion. Take it with a pinch of salt.

I wish I had Android tablet just to browse, read news/ebooks and trying out apps. I find my 11.6-inch Acer netbook a bit bulky and not user-friendly. IMHO, just to lie down on the bed and browse, I think Tablets are the best option.

GreenJay said:
IMHO, just to lie down on the bed and browse, I think Tablets are the best option.

Exactly one of the reasons I find my netbook a bit uncomfortable. Not to mention the heat expelled out of the vents is another annoyance.

I (like many of you) work for >8 hours a day (on job).
After coming back from work (after a long trudge through the evening traffic) all I can think of doing is some surfing, reading news/blogs, FB-ing, G+, watch some trailers, youtube, music videos etc etc [not at the same time of course].
So mostly (on weekdays) its about "surfing" the web. I currently have a laptop for the above purposes.

Right now if you ask me I would say it would be great to get a 10 inch or 8 inch tablet for doing the above.
I would love to take it and sit on a couch comfortably and do the above instead of seating in a "chair" again. (you can do that with a laptop but honestly I think everyone would accept that's not the best of thing with a [hot] laptop of any-size).

Also, now a days almost all the tablets has a tv-out option, so you can hook up the tablet to your monitor/tv too, if that's an option for you.

So think of your usage-criteria, and requirements before making up your mind about buying a laptop/tablet.

Honestly, I still need a 14-15 inch laptop on the weekends (n sometimes on weekdays too) to do stuff (programmer!).

Since i have bought ipad 2 my usage of computer has decreased a lot, but i cannot do without computer. But its a good device for websurfing, i do my 90% of websurfing on my ipad. Only time i switch my comp is to play game or watch movies or something. Best thing about ipad is instant on and good battery life, i can use it anytime anywhere, even in the kitchen lol, need to book tickets or money transfer or facebook no need to wait for the comp/laptop to boot :) .... ya i use it a lot and websurfing is really awesome on this thing. but it may be not so useful device for many people, it all depends upon you.

I too have been in the same dilemma for a while. One thing is for sure Tablets cant replace a Laptop. But ya for plane browsing and social networking its a great tool. But spending 30k for one is just not on, atleast for me. Under 15k should be fine but nothing more as we would still land up using our notebooks.

hello guys.. need advise on the choosing the best tab (3g + wifi) for surfing, reading ebooks and gps navigation, i narrowed the selection to Galaxy tab 10.1 or ipad 2 or galaxy note. Any other brand suggestion is most welcome.

Tablets, netbooks and notebooks all satisfy different needs. Smartphone or tablet gives more mobility and ease of carrying with you. Netbooks give less mobility but better utility and fuctionality. Notebooks or desktops give lesser mobility but high performance. The choice depends on what the user/buyer wants. Its a matter of choosing the gadget according to your requirements. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages.

Till a few months ago i never had any productive use for a tablet. But ever since i've bought my SGS2 i think i'll end up buying a tablet sooner or later.

These days i rarely switch on the screens of my computer. I use PocketCloud from my phone to queue torrents and even transfer data to my phone. I am even thinking of selling my monitor and use the funds to purchase a tablet. Reason being that whenever i game i connect my PC to my 32" LCD and for browsing or other stuff, the phone seems much easier to use. So instead of a 19" screen taking up space on my table i rather have a tablet which will give me the same usability with more convenience.

Sent from a Galaxy in the S2 system

Back