Is LastPass safe?

Used LastPass for many years. Switching to 1Password after all the shenanigans LastPass has been up to. Not a trustworthy company, especially for someone involved in something as crucial as securely storing passwords.
Every since the private equity firms purchased it at the end of 2019, they have been trying to slice and sell the product for as much as possible. They will keep shifting the goalposts even further.

If you can't switch now to something like Bitwarden that offers all the functionalities with a better UI, then you deserve to be ripped off as a paying user by LastPass. They are trying to do a Zuckerberg, but without having as much of a reason to lock-in the user.

As 16th comes closer have to switch from Lastpass. Is it easy to import everything to Bitwarden without missing anything?
I will wait till 16th first, unless you lost your trust on that app completely. I can export entire data from lastpass and re-import on another account/email.. to have both working..
Will just have to ensure, I keep adding data on 1(master account) till we get 2 slots filled in here:

That's a shame that lastpass became paid.I don't know why such service require $39 a year for just a password manager.
The problem is that it was purchased by private equity firms who really have no interest on the technical aspects of the product. It is mostly a case of them trying to monetize as much as possible. It is now a financial product rather than an engineering one.

With the recent report of tracking on the LastPass Android app, I am pretty sure they are also now selling metadata to advertisers.
As 16th comes closer have to switch from Lastpass. Is it easy to import everything to Bitwarden without missing anything?
I switched from KeePass and it was seamless. Others have already done so from LastPass over here, so don't think migration is a problem in any way.

That's a shame that lastpass became paid.I don't know why such service require $39 a year for just a password manager.
I am not sure whether 39 dollars is such a huge amount of money but the point is people justify everything nowadays. That's why the greed of corporates are going up and have reached a level from where we cannot turn back now. Imagine in a world where people have to pay visit service centres, pay service charge, taxes on it and the actual product cost to replace something like a simple product like a mobile phone battery. Everything is justifiable by the new-age intellects (or morons), the corporate world just living their dream and laughing inside out.

I used Lastpass premium for 6 years from 2011 to 2017. It was $12/year i think. If they had priced similarly i probably would have renewed. I didn't renew from 2018 onwards as their interface etc has become worse overtime. It used to be user friendly and easy to use which its not as good now. Form fills dont always work either, just to enter my CC requires so many clicks now. Quality and easiness has def gone down. Only stuck with it because of hundreds of passwords i have stored.

Lastpass is good but I would recommend bitwarden. Ability to unlock with pin, windows hello and simple user interface with freedom to self host.
Its all open source also.

Just now shifted to Bitwarden. Fingers crossed, though free just hoping it wont leak/expose data!
They do perform third party security quite often and post reports on their website so far it has been great.
If you are worried about they handling their data you can get a free VM from oracle cloud and run your own and use tailscale so that only you can connect to it and its not exposed to the outside world.

In the app and extension in the settings there is a option to never log yourself out. It will be vault timeout or something
I set it to 'on system lock' option from default on browser restart but obviously after every reboot I have to enter the master password upon opening the browser. If I set it to Never there is a big warning with the following message- Are you sure you want to use the "Never" option? Setting your lock options to "Never" stores your vault's encryption key on your device. If you use this option you should ensure that you keep your device properly protected. Can I go ahead and do this?

I set it to 'on system lock' option from default on browser restart but obviously after every reboot I have to enter the master password upon opening the browser. If I set it to Never there is a big warning with the following message- Are you sure you want to use the "Never" option? Setting your lock options to "Never" stores your vault's encryption key on your device. If you use this option you should ensure that you keep your device properly protected. Can I go ahead and do this?
Don't keep it always unlocked....if your device gets stolen...someone will be able to get all your passwords....even a virus will be able to do it.

Currently decrypted key is securely stored in RAM ...using the never option will store it in HDD which can be recovered by hackers

Lock it on browser close or system lock...otherwise the password manager is as useful as keeping your passwords in notepad

Don't keep it always unlocked....if your device gets stolen...someone will be able to get all your passwords....even a virus will be able to do it.

Currently decrypted key is securely stored in RAM ...using the never option will store it in HDD which can be recovered by hackers

Lock it on browser close or system lock...otherwise the password manager is as useful as keeping your passwords in notepad
Understood, thanks. The device in question to be stolen is my desktop though. And that practice of entering the master password every time I log out of the system is not going to work with me, I always kept myself logged in with Lastpass, I think it was even a default thing there.

Yeah I am also thinking about moving back to Lastpass. It just worked. This master pass entering on BW on every session is extremely annoying.
You can easily disable it. Every client has a setting for it, it's just not enabled by default. Which is just as well, since it's a security risk. The default should be less risky options.

If you're using windows 10, you can use windows hello pin or a fingerprint reader. Haven't tried it yet though.

To answer the original question of this thread, I had been using LastPass for a long time. Recently switched to BW after their pricing policy change.
I personally accept the risk that goes with storing banking passwords in the password manager. I have always done so. The reason being that otherwise I keep forgetting it.
Also, a banking account has multiple passwords linked with it, login password, transaction password, ATM PIN, UPI PIN, etc. Remembering all that for multiple banks is near impossible for me. I just end up having to reset it. And given the fact that banks like HDFC charge you to change your ATM PIN through internet banking, this is not a very sound approach.

The reason I store password is because these days hardly any of the transactions can be done without an OTP. So while the data can be lost, which is serious concern in itself, I still am not very likely to lose money.

A hybrid approach is also possible where you store a part of your password in the password manager. The other part can be common for all banks. So your passwords are unique, but you still have to remember only one password for all banks. This is sometimes referred to as peppering. For instance, your stored passwords can be like:
CITI Bank: Harry
HDFC Bank: Hermione
ICICI Bank: Dumbledore

while you actual passwords can be Harry-hagrid, Hermione-hagrid, Dumbledore-hagrid.
Your password manager fills in the first part, you type in the second part before submitting. So you remember only one password for all banks, but you still have strong, unique passwords for all and virtually no risk of being compromised.

Needless to say, even for other critical websites, you should enable 2FA wherever possible. It is unfortunate that none of banks in India have implemented standard TOTP based 2FA for login. SBI has one, but they have their own algorithm and therefore needs their own app to generate 2FA. This is too much of a hassle. SMS based 2FA is not as secure as most phones these days display the OTP on the lockscreen itself. Doubly useless for me because my phone notifications are mirrored on my laptop, so you don't even need the phone to see the 2FA password.

At the end of the day, convenience comes at the cost of security. The more secure you want to be, the less convenient it will be. Where you want to strike a balance depends on your personal preference and paranoia level. Keep in mind that it is equally important to maintain good habits with your passwords and computer. Most password leaks these days happen not because of attacks on servers, but because of Phishing attacks where users themselves reveal the password to the other party. Password managers can only protect you to one extent, the rest is on you.

Last edited:
Back