Car & Bike is this tatas 1 lakhs car?

Looks like pappu car is finally out. Pappu has passed so he deserves it.

What more one could ask for at 1 lakh? There is no question if the car becomes successful or not. What i loved is, tata has begun a new era, competition and a whole new market.

This car may or may not be successful in metros, but in towns and villages, its gonna be a HIT !!!

God Speed Ratan Tata, the Trend Setter.

deejay said:
Anish, I too belong to this group:no: and would buy this car once it is released.:D (with a reservation of some meagre and managable funds to "mod" it to my purpose and use)

People / Members here who are criticising the car have no merit in their criticism, infact they are just portraying their ignorance about the matter.The car has not been test driven yet and the pseudo experts here (many of whom do not understand the concept of an "automobile" or "transportation" and its related concepts and business models) are "Giving" or rather "Thrusting upon others" their esteemed opinions.:huh:

as Chaos mentioned earlier this car will sell as it is Cheap and VFM (as compared to other existing models / brands). and to those who worry that TATA's will loose money in this venture,(and have "parked' their funds in TATA Motors:eek:hyeah: ) Relax ....TATA will make money , not from the actual sale of these cars but from after sale activities like sale of spare parts, accessories, service etc...(huge margins here:hap2: )

My observation / experience with TATA motor products till now is that they make very good chassis / engine / body but the other parts like plastic dashboards, switches, seats and upholstry etc are below par to the japanese ones both in their design and physical construction. Also their final QC and Inspection before despatch is sub standard. (due to the licence / quota system and "Govt. Controlled" regime "influence" prevailing in our country till about a decade ago.)

For 1.25 Lakh of rupees you do actually get a full Metal body, set of 4 New tyres, A New Battery, A Steering wheel with a NEW engine giving 15 ~ 17Km /ltr (City road conditions) and carries 4 passengers comfortably :rofl: :clap: what more can one want ....:cool2:
one thing 1 came to know dude its has tubeless tyres from some other source

We all are excited about this car, but the queues are going to be endless for this car and it'll take way too long b4 u can get ur hands on ur own 'shopping car'..cos yesterday, on some news channel, Ratan Tata didnt give any straightforward answer as to how Tata is going to manage the overwhelming response for the car once they start the booking process..some journo evn said tht it'll be like a lottery system or random..others said it'll be 'first come first served' basis...but one thing is definitely true..the waiting list of a billion ppl wud be too much for evn a big company like tata to handle..

So if this car really takes off as 'the wonder car', then expect to get ur own Nano after a year or 2 after u go to the showroom to book it..:p

someone suggested replacing the old black and yellow Taxis with this car, that makes so much sense,god knows how much those old premier padminis pollute....

Besides its much smaller :D...

pathetic seeing ppl here even thinking of criticizing the Nano. As for the security features can u find something worse than a maruti van...see the advert on TV....Ashayen & all BS....if Maruti can sell so many of that at 100% profit ...ppl should go make a killing on them.

As of traffic.....wth....we should screw the govt for that....with the amount ppl r paying to the RTO roads should be real good.

deejay said:
Anish, I too belong to this group:no: and would buy this car once it is released.:D (with a reservation of some meagre and managable funds to "mod" it to my purpose and use)

People / Members here who are criticising the car have no merit in their criticism, infact they are just portraying their ignorance about the matter.The car has not been test driven yet and the pseudo experts here (many of whom do not understand the concept of an "automobile" or "transportation" and its related concepts and business models) are "Giving" or rather "Thrusting upon others" their esteemed opinions.:huh:

as Chaos mentioned earlier this car will sell as it is Cheap and VFM (as compared to other existing models / brands). and to those who worry that TATA's will loose money in this venture,(and have "parked' their funds in TATA Motors:eek:hyeah: ) Relax ....TATA will make money , not from the actual sale of these cars but from after sale activities like sale of spare parts, accessories, service etc...(huge margins here:hap2: )

My observation / experience with TATA motor products till now is that they make very good chassis / engine / body but the other parts like plastic dashboards, switches, seats and upholstry etc are below par to the japanese ones both in their design and physical construction. Also their final QC and Inspection before despatch is sub standard. (due to the licence / quota system and "Govt. Controlled" regime "influence" prevailing in our country till about a decade ago.)

For 1.25 Lakh of rupees you do actually get a full Metal body, set of 4 New tyres, A New Battery, A Steering wheel with a NEW engine giving 15 ~ 17Km /ltr (City road conditions) and carries 4 passengers comfortably :rofl: :clap: what more can one want ....:cool2:

Very well said Deejay Uncle! I only disagree with this part ;)

sydras said:
OT: Hasn't Apple trademarked the "Nano name?

I guess its only the 'ipod nano' thats trademarked. Nano can be used by anyone.

More than anything, people should recognize the effort of tata and their dream - that even the common man should be able to afford a car. Don't ever go about b**ching their motive.

Why does everyone think that the Nano is the product of an altruistic mindset?

In the end as pointed out before, its just a product to tap a huge market that exists. The fact that it can be construed to be a "peoples car" is just a nice spin on it. The fact that Mr.Ratan Tata kept his word on the pricing despite inflation is very commendable and worthy of praise, as for the Nano itself, its an excellent engineering feat, and it will make companies think of india beyone BPO/software terms.

Also a lot of people are saying we shouldn't be critical of the Nano. I ask why not? Its a product that has been put before us, we have every right to b**ch and moan about it, after all its a free country. As far as questioning the actual motive behind the car, we will never really know, but as long as the promises made are kept, i.e. low emissions, safety, price, motives are insignificant, after all if tata had said that he was making the nano for profit, would it stop you from buying one?

As far as the concerns about the sheer number of cars that will be on the street, they are all valid and should be taken seriously, but the way that the so called spokepersions of the environmental lobbies etc have presented their concerns is beyond stupid and is only driving attention away from the issues that need to be looked at. Swaminathan Aiyer's column in TOI today is a good read and deals with the same topic.

shrey said:
someone suggested replacing the old black and yellow Taxis with this car, that makes so much sense,god knows how much those old premier padminis pollute....
Besides its much smaller :D...

Won't happen coz there's not enough bootspace in the nano...
Space only for one suitcase + spare wheel .. :(

People are elated right now thinking that they'll get the car for 1L.

But, the on road price will be 1.2L to 1.25L (thanks to the govt..I think it's high time the RTO taxes were reduced) and with no a/c or stereo. That might dampen the mood.

I see this as a start of Automobile revolution in India. With others also willing to produce small cheap cars read Bajaj...

Small cars will be the way to go in future... I for one would like to own one... People with 1+ car will but this as a second car to abuse... You buy a cheap car for your day to day travel and replace the damm thing after a year... A person in HIG will think of it in this way...

Also next thing we need is Power... Reliance Ad campaign got it absolutely correctly... Power On to India On...

Also i see traffic in Delhi becoming more managable in 2010 with Metro working on full swing...

Switch said:
I see this as a start of Automobile revolution in India. With others also willing to produce small cheap cars read Bajaj...

Small cars will be the way to go in future... I for one would like to own one... People with 1+ car will but this as a second car to abuse... You buy a cheap car for your day to day travel and replace the damm thing after a year... A person in HIG will think of it in this way...

Also next thing we need is Power... Reliance Ad campaign got it absolutely correctly... Power On to India On...

Also i see traffic in Delhi becoming more managable in 2010 with Metro working on full swing...

I totally agree with you and who knows... after 2-3 years... Tata and Bajaj may not be the only companies selling cheap cars!

Switch said:

Exactly my thoughts... buy the higher end version and then dump it in a year. Good for daily commuting where the max speed you reach is barely 50km/hr. Big car can sit in the garage thru the week and be out on weekends/holidays.

Back