Landlord not returning security deposit 30k

big house--1bhk

1k wasnt asked by the owner but we assumed it may take 1k to repaint the house.

Is it too much to pay or too little??

It will just cover the cheapest kind of distemper, Rs.60-80/litre for 20 litres, you've got labour costs on top unless your cousins personally do it themselves. These are blr prices, dont know what it is for Pune maybe little cheaper but not by much. Your labour will be cheaper though.

Usually the landlord would use his own people and stick you with the bill. leaving this sort of thing to the tenant is risky because they might not do a proper job.

You left out the bit about the landlord not sticking to the contract ?

No he said thats its our responsibility. He is only bothered about painting and not about any expenses or any labour.

He said so coz we did some screw fittings which is obvious when you stay in any house such as small shelf support/trays etc. and insisted just because after the removal of those shelfs, the drilled holes may look bad and so the paint is demanded.

For getting back 30k this 1-2k is fine. We are avoiding anymore controversy on the same with him and so no more bugging on either sides.

Also the agents will make sure that his flat gets no customer for next 6 months.

No he said thats its our responsibility. He is only bothered about painting and not about any expenses or any labour.

Mentioned that so that you dont end up in the situation where he says he did not like the job you did. He cannot say this if you use his painters. Do as you think best.

I had a tenant who thought he only needed to paint as high as the windows as there was no need to go right upto the ceiling because there is no wear & tear, my painter straightened him out and told him that would not work as the difference would be very obvious
<

He said so coz we did some screw fittings which is obvious when you stay in any house such as small shelf support/trays etc. and insisted just because after the removal of those shelfs, the drilled holes may look bad and so the paint is demanded.

This is nothing, little putty job and its gone. And yes, paint is required. the whole wall not just a patch.

Oh now i get it, you are not going to paint the entire appartment.

For getting back 30k this 1-2k is fine. We are avoiding anymore controversy on the same with him and so no more bugging on either sides.

Also the agents will make sure that his flat gets no customer for next 6 months.

Here's what i found curious

rent is 8.7k

deposit is only 30k

usually deposit is 10 times rent or 87k

of course if you told him to adjust form deposit without paying rent then it creates a bad impression.

Here in pune the deposit is usually 4 times the rent. In my case it comes to 34.8k means 35k roundoff value but we settled on 30k. And here 25-30k is pretty common. Unless obvious if the house is a plush 2bhk or furnished and have 10k+ rent then the deposit will shoot beyond 50k.

As for the drilled stuff we did offered him putty but he too said it will look bad so no issues we will repaint him the whole wall.

Here in pune the deposit is usually 4 times the rent. In my case it comes to 34.8k means 35k roundoff value but we settled on 30k. And here 25-30k is pretty common. Unless obvious if the house is a plush 2bhk or furnished and have 10k+ rent then the deposit will shoot beyond 50k.

As for the drilled stuff we did offered him putty but he too said it will look bad so no issues we will repaint him the whole wall.

Hope his next tenant is like Keaton from Pacific Heights. Will teach him the meaning of repaint and holding back money, fleeching.

i'm guessing cause of such situations, many home owners these days do not allow nails or screws to be hammered/ drilled in the apartment by tenants.

i'm guessing cause of such situations, many home owners these days do not allow nails or screws to be hammered/ drilled in the apartment by tenants.

It is best one asks before doing so. I had to get some paintings put up, I asked my landlord. He was cool with it. I also asked, it it will forfeit the security. He said no worries.

This man was also ok with all that when taking the possession but asked to repaint the house after leaving the place.

This man was also ok with all that when taking the possession but asked to repaint the house after leaving the place.

And that is reasonable, he expects it back in the same state he gave it.

I'm not really understanding why there was so much stress in the first place.

Other than to wonder whether this was the first time your cousins rented out a place.

And that is reasonable, he expects it back in the same state he gave it.

I'm not really understanding why there was so much stress in the first place.

Other than to wonder whether this was the first time your cousins rented out a place.

Dude as said that repainting is fine for us. And its 2nd rented house of my cousins.

Previously they stayed for 3yrs in a house just a lane before this current house and that owner was a GEM. When leaving his house he dint asked for any paint or Tod-phod job or ny type of misc. expenses and very easily handed over the sec.deposit money without cutting a single penny.
<
and that society was also very good, apart from electricity cut once a week there wasnt any other probs faced.

But this current society is a havoc in every stance. And the painting was only agreed if we completed the full contract of 11months. But now to avoid more words in between this was mutually agreed. Finally ts all about getting the 30k back properly.

Dude as said that repainting is fine for us. And its 2nd rented house of my cousins.

Previously they stayed for 3yrs in a house just a lane before this current house and that owner was a GEM. When leaving his house he dint asked for any paint or Tod-phod job or ny type of misc. expenses and very easily handed over the sec.deposit money without cutting a single penny.
<
and that society was also very good, apart from electricity cut once a week there wasnt any other probs faced.

There is always the element of chance here.

But this current society is a havoc in every stance. And the painting was only agreed if we completed the full contract of 11months. But now to avoid more words in between this was mutually agreed. Finally ts all about getting the 30k back properly.

Unless the lease specifically mentions a lock-in for 11 months which is unusual then i cannot see how the landlord can demand it. Some insist that people stay for a minimum of eleven months or the first term so as to avoid ppl quitting after a few months and then relax that condition on future lease renewals. But it will have to be explicity stated in the lease.

From what i understood your cousins are only liable for painting and that is all. Assuming there is no other damage to the appt.

i lived in pune for 3 yrs in vimannagar area.. bloody scoundrels everywhere. just because pune's got so many students, the rents have reached the skies, the commission that is paid to the agent feels more like a monthly salary and theres a lot of exploitation by the landlords..

i lived in pune for 3 yrs in vimannagar area.. bloody scoundrels everywhere. just because pune's got so many students, the rents have reached the skies, the commission that is paid to the agent feels more like a monthly salary and theres a lot of exploitation by the landlords..

yes you are right... i always feel its better to buy own house rather than spending lacs of rupees on rent...

yes you are right... i always feel its better to buy own house rather than spending lacs of rupees on rent...

Quite a few friends of mine have gone that way.

In case of long term use its better to live in a smaller self owned accommodation that renting out a spacious one

Guys got 28.2k off 30. Deducted 1.5k painting charges n 300 bucks electricity bill. Donated door lock to him for free else have to change the main door which would have burned a hole in pockets. But that idiot just got a single key and the rest keys are with me n my bro.
<
And he dint asked us.

Will use the keys at night to scare the new tenants when they are fast asleep...bhoot..bhoot.... kind of fun...
<

usually deposit is 10 times rent or 87k

This is common only in Bangalore, and something I find very unreasonable even though I've been here for some years. Most other cities usually have only 3-4 months deposit. But even in Bangalore, if you talk with the landlord he can reduce the 10 months deposit but usually in exchange for slightly higher rent.

Even in Kolkata, the deposit is one month's rent. Unless the apartment is fully furnished, I don't see any reason for the landlords to demand such huge deposit of 6/10 months' rent. I found this trend in mainly Bangalore/Chennai.

Demanding deposit for more than 4 months is truly insane. Govt. should frame some policies for tenants from getting exploited. Or best should made it dependent as per monthly rental policy:

For rent between 5-8k, deposit = 25k

10-15k dep. = 35k and so on...

Back