Latest AMD Ryzen 2 processors and X470 chipset motherboards have been launched!

Not decided yet, I will be getting the board in India and waiting for better availability. I am considering

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO

Not decided yet, I will be getting the board in India and waiting for better availability. I am considering

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO
Memory support on Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 is currently better than Crosshair VII Hero. They have added a lot of memory modules into their QVl list with XMP support. It's also cheaper by 5K than the Crosshair Hero. Avoid the MSI.

Memory support on Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 is currently better than Crosshair VII Hero. They have added a lot of memory modules into their QVl list with XMP support. It's also cheaper by 5K than the Crosshair Hero. Avoid the MSI.
Depends on what you wish to achieve. For basic overclock anything is ok. If you want to really push the chips to 4.3, the crosshair boards have a much much better bios than any gigabyte where every single . QVL list is pretty meaningless in Ryzen. What one needs is stuff like ProcODT, ddr drive strength, boot voltage and similar settings to be exposed in the bios.

For CPU overclocking, Asus and Asrock are the only one that supports reliable P-state overclocks. This allows you to run the CPU at lower clocks/volts when idle and also push it to the max in the highest pstate. The previous gen CH6 is the best, most tweakable board I've used till date bar none. The new one has a far better VRM - in fact it probably is the strongest VRM on any motherboard right now.

How do you trust an online tier listing when you haven't even heard of the OEM's? :|
Anyway while I'm on it I just want to add, don't simply trust a popular opinion especially on PSU's/Audio products even if it's reviewed or rated by a well-known guy/site. You don't know if the said person/site works for a company which manufactures those products (FYI, JonnyGuru worked for Corsair last I remembered). Read reviews, just don't blindly trust them. Especially PSU tier listing. There is also something called "fan-brigading", this is very prominent in international tech forums. Very very popular thing. Reddit is a classic example of this.
If I were to make my own tier I would put the Seasonic M12II in Tier 1.5 and the TX-M in tier 2 and get whichever is cheaper. Just my own opinion of course, like everyone else who made those tiers.
Also it seems that Corsair introduced new TX-M PSU's with more warranty. If we are talking about warranty even Cooler Master new Master PSU's (not all though) comes with 5 years warranty when other PSU's in the same price range have only 2-3 years of warranty. And CM is well known for making crappy lower-entry PSU's. Their new Master series are not any different. If I really want a CM PSU I would go for the V-series (if they are still available).
So in the end, for me, reliability is more important than warranty and 5 years is good enough for me. Besides, the Seasonic M12II is also fully-modular while the TX-M is semi-modular. The Bronze, Gold and Platinum efficiency is important yes but it doesn't affect me as much.
I do fully agree on the pricing. It seems that Tirupati, knowing how good and popular the Seasonic PSU's are, are trying to make the maximum profit out of that.
Hope that clears up my choice on the PSU's.

PS: please don't take the distributors words to heart. I've personally met some of the big guys in the Indian market and they always say some shit or others against their competition. One time I even had to debate and later personally debunk their claims in their head-office. It was a very weird experience.
Thank you!
Tomshardware released a great article about Power Supply, they listed all the oems and awarded the best Power Supplies. Link here : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html[DOUBLEPOST=1525058823][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would be happy with CPU clock somewhere between 4.0-4.2GHz and RAM @ 3200MHz and running stable.
Easily doable :) with 2700X, ROG Crosshair and Gskill Trident or FlareX. As per online reviews.
I have tightened my ram timings to 14-15-15-34 (Box shows 16-16-16-38).

Depends on what you wish to achieve. For basic overclock anything is ok. If you want to really push the chips to 4.3, the crosshair boards have a much much better bios than any gigabyte where every single . QVL list is pretty meaningless in Ryzen. What one needs is stuff like ProcODT, ddr drive strength, boot voltage and similar settings to be exposed in the bios.

For CPU overclocking, Asus and Asrock are the only one that supports reliable P-state overclocks. This allows you to run the CPU at lower clocks/volts when idle and also push it to the max in the highest pstate. The previous gen CH6 is the best, most tweakable board I've used till date bar none. The new one has a far better VRM - in fact it probably is the strongest VRM on any motherboard right now.
They have the same 10+2-phase VRM, with the VCore VRM using IR3553s and can overclock the same. Most of the reviewers having problems running Ryzen stable at 4.3 GHz even with liquid cooling, so for us normal people 4.1 GHz will be more realistic. Last year’s CH6 was good at overclocking so was X370 Gaming K7 while X370 Taichi lagged behind. QVL list might not be a reliable indicator for Ryzen but you can't totally ignore it, @kolayamit is facing RAM issues despite better memory support in X470 because his memory kit is not officially supported by Asus.

Last edited:
They have the same 10+2-phase VRM, with the VCore VRM using IR3553s and can overclock the same. Most of the reviewers having problems running Ryzen stable at 4.3 GHz even with liquid cooling, so for us normal people 4.1 GHz will be more realistic. Last year’s CH6 was good at overclocking so was X370 Gaming K7 while X370 Taichi lagged behind. QVL list might not be a reliable indicator for Ryzen but you can't totally ignore it, @kolayamit is facing RAM issues despite better memory support in X470 because his memory kit is not officially supported by Asus.

The actual mosfets in the CH7 are rated 60A vs 40A in the Gigabyte. Here's the link for the pcb analysis

(asus)

(gigabyte)

It is much easier to find a stable overclock on the Asus ROG boards due to the presence of a safe boot button which will boot with stock settings and take you straight into the bios. With gigabyte, you need to remove the battery if the board fails to recover from an overclock.

As for ram support - non supported kits can be made to run with some parameter tweaks. My 16x2GB hynix sticks won't even run 2400 out of the box and they are not on the QVL list of the CH6. However with tweaking they do 3200. It just needs time and patience. Overclocking is not for someone who just puts stuff in and expects them to work with one click of a button.

Last gen gigabyte x370 boards had terrible VRM components that overheated. Thankfully they fixed that this gen. However their bios is sad. I have their z370 HD3P board and the bios on it really seems an amateur effort.

4.2 GHz should be possible on most 2700x chips while few doing 4.3 under water. Again patience is the key.

The actual mosfets in the CH7 are rated 60A vs 40A in the Gigabyte. Here's the link for the pcb analysis

(asus)

(gigabyte)

It is much easier to find a stable overclock on the Asus ROG boards due to the presence of a safe boot button which will boot with stock settings and take you straight into the bios. With gigabyte, you need to remove the battery if the board fails to recover from an overclock.

As for ram support - non supported kits can be made to run with some parameter tweaks. My 16x2GB hynix sticks won't even run 2400 out of the box and they are not on the QVL list of the CH6. However with tweaking they do 3200. It just needs time and patience. Overclocking is not for someone who just puts stuff in and expects them to work with one click of a button.

Last gen gigabyte x370 boards had terrible VRM components that overheated. Thankfully they fixed that this gen. However their bios is sad. I have their z370 HD3P board and the bios on it really seems an amateur effort.

4.2 GHz should be possible on most 2700x chips while few doing 4.3 under water. Again patience is the key.
60A in the Asus is completely overkill even the video mentions that. You don't need to remove the battery on Gigabyte, it has power and CMOS reset buttons and also dual Bios for worst case scenario. When I was talking about better memory support, I was talking about out of the box support not overclocking. Gigabyte X370 gaming K7 didn't had the best VRM, that crown goes to CH6 but it wasn't bad and could overclock better than X370 Taichi which had a far stronger VRM. Completely Agree with the BIOS part, Asus has the best bios. Also last year CH6 and gaming K7 was priced similarly so buying CH6 made more sense but this year the price difference is 5K. In my opinion, the CH7 does not worth the extra over x470 gaming 7. This is the videos from last year, which show Gigabyte overclocks better than Taichi and similar to CH6 despite a weaker VRM.
Power and CMOS reset button on X470 Gaming 7
gigabyte.jpg

Last edited:
So, do you guys think a 2 x 16GB RAM kit like Corsair Vengeance RGB that is not officially certified for X470 will do fine on any of these boards with some tweaking?
As I said, my goal with over clocking is not over ambitious. I would be more than happy to have stable 4.2 GHz or even a bit lower with the RAM running at 3200 MHz.

I also have to decide whether to get the RAM from US or India. None of the online platforms in India seems to have the 32GB RAM kits in stock properly.

So, do you guys think a 2 x 16GB RAM kit like Corsair Vengeance RGB that is not officially certified for X470 will do fine on any of these boards with some tweaking?
As I said, my goal with over clocking is not over ambitious. I would be more than happy to have stable 4.2 GHz or even a bit lower with the RAM running at 3200 MHz.

I also have to decide whether to get the RAM from US or India. None of the online platforms in India seems to have the 32GB RAM kits in stock properly.

If the ram is samsung b-die, it'll work at 3200 1T. If it is Hynix like my gskill ripjaw, it'll do 3200 @ 2T or 2933 @1T.

However 16GBx2 will always be faster than 8GBx2 at same clocks/timings due to the dimms being dual rank. The difference in performance is pretty massive.

60A in the Asus is completely overkill even the video mentions that. You don't need to remove the battery on Gigabyte, it has power and CMOS reset buttons and also dual Bios for worst case scenario. When I was talking about better memory support, I was talking about out of the box support not overclocking. Gigabyte X370 gaming K7 didn't had the best VRM, that crown goes to CH6 but it wasn't bad and could overclock better than X370 Taichi which had a far stronger VRM. Completely Agree with the BIOS part, Asus has the best bios. Also last year CH6 and gaming K7 was priced similarly so buying CH6 made more sense but this year the price difference is 5K. In my opinion, the CH7 does not worth the extra over x470 gaming 7. This is the videos from last year, which show Gigabyte overclocks better than Taichi and similar to CH6 despite a weaker VRM.

Agree with what you say. Out of the box support has never been great on the crosshair boards. But they are tweaker boards. If you love to tinker around and want the absolute best money no bar, there's nothing that comes close to the crosshair/maximus boards. They cost a lot of money though. I didn't realize the price of the CH7 is so much more this time. However if money is no bar, I'd still buy the crosshair boards over anything else. They are just so easy to work with.

Agree with what you say. Out of the box support has never been great on the crosshair boards. But they are tweaker boards. If you love to tinker around and want the absolute best money no bar, there's nothing that comes close to the crosshair/maximus boards. They cost a lot of money though. I didn't realize the price of the CH7 is so much more this time. However if money is no bar, I'd still buy the crosshair boards over anything else. They are just so easy to work with.
Kinda cheap guy here, looking for value in everything. Personally, if I want the absolute best then no doubt I will go with Intel but I am willing to make smaller sacrifices for some $$$ savings.:D This is why AMD gets my vote.

Last edited:

If your overclocking goals are not very ambitious then you're better off with Gigabyte and 4 X 8 GB route.

Last edited:
Kinda cheap guy here, looking for value in everything. Personally, if I want the absolute best then no doubt I will go with Intel but I am willing to make smaller sacrifices for some $$$ savings.:D This is why AMD gets my vote.

Depends upon what you define as absolute best. If it is purely gaming, then yes 8700k has no peers. However absolute best to me is a 1950x + zenith extreme + 128GB. We have a couple in our office lab with dual 1080 ti and they are complete beasts for the work we do.

Dear lord... po$h people discussion :D
I'm still confused between the i5 8500 and R5 2600, naturally mainly because even if I game most of the time there would still be some audio/video editing involved. I just cannot seem to be able to decide. I'm leaving this to the motherboard lol. Intel's H370 is unreasonably high-priced. Otherwise an i5 8500 and an H370 for some 8k would've been good for me. On the other hand I really want to support AMD even though they are not the best for pure gaming.

Depends upon what you define as absolute best. If it is purely gaming, then yes 8700k has no peers. However absolute best to me is a 1950x + zenith extreme + 128GB. We have a couple in our office lab with dual 1080 ti and they are complete beasts for the work we do.
Yes, it depends. That setup is absolute overkill for me. :dead:

Dear lord... po$h people discussion :D
I'm still confused between the i5 8500 and R5 2600, naturally mainly because even if I game most of the time there would still be some audio/video editing involved. I just cannot seem to be able to decide. I'm leaving this to the motherboard lol. Intel's H370 is unreasonably high-priced. Otherwise an i5 8500 and an H370 for some 8k would've been good for me. On the other hand I really want to support AMD even though they are not the best for pure gaming.
R5 2600 + B450 mobo + Deepcool Gammaxx 400 would've been the ideal setup for you but B450 is not out yet and the Gammaxx 400 is overpriced by the seller Overclockers zone. I also I want to support AMD but damn the Indian pricing.:mad:

Last edited:
Back