Linksys LN1301 - Group Buy from US

I received my pair yesterday evening. Will be setting it up and testing it today. I'll be performing WAN (fast.com) and LAN (OpenSpeedTest) tests over ethernet and wifi at various locations in my house in comparison with my existing Orbi RBK50 (AC3000 triband). If there are any other tests someone would like me to perform using the stock firmware, let me know.

• Are there any good signal strength apps on Android?
  • While setting up the mesh, if I only choose the Add Wired Node button, will the second 5ghz band be used for regular traffic? Or is it hardcoded to only be used for wireless backhaul?
You can use wifi analyser or wifiman both are good

While setting up the mesh, if I only choose the Add Wired Node button, will the second 5ghz band be used for regular traffic? Or is it hardcoded to only be used for wireless backhaul?

Yes, it will be available for regular traffic. I have it running with stock firmware and added the child node to mesh using the Add Wired Node button.

Some measurements vs my Orbi. Although I measured both LAN and WAN speeds, I have only included LAN details below. There wasn't much change in WAN speeds in most locations as it was limited by my ISP plan. Any improvements were similar percentage-wise to my LAN improvements as tabled below.

Similarly ethernet speeds didn't see much of a change and were either limited to 1gbps or to my ISP speed.

Tests were performed on a Samsung S22+. I have a wired backhaul between the router and satellite. While setting up the mesh on LN1301, I only chose the option to add a wired node.
Next to Router

Next to Satellite

Bedroom
(14m Opp Router - 1 door)
Dining Room
(14m Opp Satellite - line of sight)
Terrace
(15m Diagonaly above Router - Walls\Ceiling\Metal)
Orbi (AC3000)
Mbps (down / up)
672 / 591656 / 357302 / 252558 / 4007 / 24
LN1301 (AX4300)
Mbps (down / up)
814 / 839954 / 897337 / 217873 / 640153 / 91
% Change
(down / up)
21% / 42%45% / 151%12% / -14%56% / 60%2086% / 279%

My TCL c755 TV showed no improvement in wifi speeds. The specs on the website contradict itself listing wifi support as AX while also mentioning WIFI5. Speeds remained a paltry 285 mbps even though its right next to my satellite. This seems to support people's theory that some other processing power in the TV limits the amount of data it can handle, thereby rendering the networking interface improvements pointless.
1729180445042.png

An unexpected but happy discovery is that my ISP is IPv6 ready! When I tried setting up ipv6 on my orbi a year ago, everything stopped working. Im not sure if this development is a result of my choice of router, or a change on ACT's end. Now I need to see if I can use this to get around ACT's CGNAT for my game servers so I can kick my friends off my zerotier\tailscale networks :).

1729180839612.png

Last edited:
Some measurements vs my Orbi. Although I measured both LAN and WAN speeds, I have only included LAN details below. There wasn't much change in WAN speeds in most locations as it was limited by my ISP plan. Any improvements were similar percentage-wise to my LAN improvements as tabled below.

Similarly ethernet speeds didn't see much of a change and were either limited to 1gbps or to my ISP speed.

Tests were performed on a Samsung S22+. I have a wired backhaul between the router and satellite. While setting up the mesh on LN1301, I only chose the option to add a wired node.
Next to Router

Next to Satellite

Bedroom
(14m Opp Router - 1 door)
Dining Room
(14m Opp Satellite - line of sight)
Terrace
(15m Diagonaly above Router - Walls\Ceiling\Metal)
Orbi (AC3000)
Mbps (down / up)
672 / 591656 / 357302 / 252558 / 4007 / 24
LN1301 (AX4300)
Mbps (down / up)
814 / 839954 / 897337 / 217873 / 640153 / 91
% Change
(down / up)
21% / 42%45% / 151%12% / -14%56% / 60%2086% / 279%

My TCL c755 TV showed no improvement in wifi speeds. The specs on the website contradict itself listing wifi support as AX while also mentioning WIFI5. Speeds remained a paltry 285 mbps even though its right next to my satellite. This seems to support people's theory that some other processing power in the TV limits the amount of data it can handle, thereby rendering the networking interface improvements pointless.
View attachment 211464

An unexpected but happy discovery is that my ISP is IPv6 ready! When I tried setting up ipv6 on my orbi a year ago, everything stopped working. Im not sure if this development is a result of my choice of router, or a change on ACT's end. Now I need to see if I can use this to get around ACT's CGNAT for my game servers so I can kick my friends off my zerotier\tailscale networks :).

View attachment 211465
Doing the gods work. Now I feel like I should have clicked on buy instead of add-to-cart on ibhejo that day, when it was listed for 4500.
Although would've been overkill for a 1500sqft 3BHK single floor flat.

Although would've been overkill for a 1500sqft 3BHK single floor flat.

I feel in an apartment complex, the interference due to so many WiFi networks is high causing the coverage to be less than expected. Prior to these units, I was seeing interference related issues in couple of locations, I tried changing to all viable channels but didn’t help.

I live in a similar square footage apartment, but the layout puts the main internet point at one end of the flat. With just one of these Linksys units at one end, although I get coverage in the whole flat, in the far end, the speeds are not that great, 100-150 Mbps.

Now I have installed two of these units, wired backhaul, the satellite on the other end in the bedroom. So far I’m getting my Internet plan speeds all around the flat.

Back