Local Body Tax (LBT) creating havoc in Pune

Guys... today I heard there's a strike in Mumbai from Monday(22nd April) onwards against LBT...WTFFFF!!!! :rage:

:depressed::hungover::dead:

WTF !!!!
Mumbai as well. Need to call up my home and tell them to stock up things.
I am seriously angry over holding common man at ransom.

Why is there almost nothing regarding the strikes in the news.[DOUBLEPOST=1366436561][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok just read in Pune Mirror. The strike has been postponed to 08th May but still there will be token strike on 22nd and 23rd april.

BMC (runs mumbai city) already charges octroi, why do they need LBT extra on top of octroi? BMC is one of the richest or probably the richest municipal corporation in India & earns in thousands of crores a year. Why do they even need LBT? greedy pigs!

they haven't removed octroi even after whole of india removed it. why will they try now. BMC and the scams in the corporation are fueled by octroi money. I dont think they would remove it. Unless there's a possibility that they would start earning more from LBT compared to octroi revenues.

Edit: @raksrules, you are right.
LBT will replace octroi from oct1 in mumbai. seems they will charge 3% compared to other places which charge 1 or 2% lbt.

"Under the new LBT regime, all business people with a daily turnover of Rs 822 per day will have to register with the municipal corporation which means the License Raj has revisited. Secondly, even pan shop, chana shop, tea stalls, fruits vendors etc on the street have to get them registered assuming they would be selling more than Rs 822 per day which was revised on Thursday by the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chauhan from Rs 374 per day earlier.
While for the main Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, the LBT is proposed at 3%, the same works out to 2% and 1% for Navi Mumbai and Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation.
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...against-lbt-from-april-22-113041900762_1.html

The reform will also boost the city’s business-friendly image. “We are expecting similar or better revenue. But the committee will study the overall effect of the new system before implementing it,” said Sitaram Kunte, municipal commissioner.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/1796374/report-bmc-budget-octroi-to-go-local-body-tax-from-oct-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all shops here (other than pharmacies) in Thane are closed. Had to roam around to find a place to lunch. Luckily a McDonalds was open.

^^ That too have passed quickly so not much problem I guess. The markets have opened from today. Strangely as assured most of the pumps, hotels and malls did not participate in last 2 days strike.
CM has called a meeting on 28 but no point in expecting too much.
BTW it seems that Maharashtra is the only state charging octroi. How stupid.

they haven't removed octroi even after whole of india removed it. why will they try now. BMC and the scams in the corporation are fueled by octroi money. I dont think they would remove it. Unless there's a possibility that they would start earning more from LBT compared to octroi revenues.
This is the big question isn't it. How does the rest of the country manage to do it but only certain areas in maha do not. Who is stopping the implementation right now, its the traders isn't it. Why ? because the terms aren't to their benefit. But it must be the opposite case in places where octroi is still in force.

The only reason it has worked in the rest of the country because the local bodies DO earn more with LBT's and it seems that the responsibility for paying it is passed on to others to make sure it is paid. This must result in more revenue than octroi.

This whole octroi business is a bit of a mystery to me given my state does not have it.

Doing away with Octroi | Apr 2012

I find precious little explaining any of the background behind these strikes.

I think octroi is in force only in maharashtra now. Somewhere down the years govt will push for gst I think and all these extra taxes added by state govt will be removed. I'm not sure of this though.

Well my suggestion is that for development and boosting internal trade there should be a common tax (VAT / GST) through out India and LBT only if needed should be statewise.

Here the problem is the government is hell bent on looting people. Actually we are being cheated collection of education CESS and secondary education cess. Heavy import duty, counter valuing duty, service tax, VAT, EXCISE, OCTROI / LBT. etc

You already paid it ?
Because this sounds like a retroactive tax to me and i don't understand the basis for it.
I had to. The babus were not ready to register my sale deed without it and delaying was not the best option for me.
The other thing was that I knew they would not backtrack on LBT.
The most important thing was for property transactions they have actually increased the Stamp Duty by 1 %. They dont charge it directly as LBT. It goes to Central govt and comes back later to Local Muncipal bodies. So technically they charged me 1% extra stamp duty and not LBT but actually LBT was disguised as Stampduty of 1% :rolleyes: Just like Kwality walls is not Icecream and Nutralite is not butter :) :D
Its kinda funny..... Govt and their innovative ways of looting the public.

Shops are closed from past 3-4 days in my area too (for removing lbt). Was out of food at home from thursday. Saw a few shops open today and stocked up for a week. Damn govt. The canteen at mantralaya should be forcefully closed for a month so the stupid ministers know the meaning of not getting food when they're hungry. Shopkeeper was saying even the trucks bringing in goods have stopped coming. Seems shops will stay closed next week too.

Back