Audio Logitech Z5500 or Edifier S550/750?

ok so let me put it straight guys,i recently got S550,and i auditioned Z5500 too before buying my system.people say for overall quality S550 > Z5500 very true becoz all S550 speakers have a dedicated tweeter which produce high range frequencies,and as usual speakers for mid range.So in treble department no doubt S550 is way better than Z5500.Coming to Bass, as i said i auditioned Z5500,at 50% volume u cant differentiate which one is good,real test comes at around 70% volume when Z5500 starts tearing up while S550 still gives thunderous bass,seriously S550 can kick Z5500 ass anyday,m not being biased but i was a huge Z5500 fan before i got S550.And some people might not know this but all speakers including sub of S550 are magnetically shielded.Last point,looks matter,S550 are made of pure wood and give awesome luxurious feeling,its sub itself is 40kg+........the ONLY drawback is no digital output,and unfortunately as off now its not available in India,analog version is for 18k @ lynx.

I am not saying z5500 is crap but it fails to produce natural sound.edifier is a speaker system that gives you an experience which is truly natural but it will not suit for everyone's taste.An excellent sound card also needed for it to produce the natural sound.I have xfi xtreme gamer and xonar dx and I am using xonardx now because it is more natural than xtreme gamer.I am using it in default mode and not using equalizer.power dvd(true theater mode and dolby pl2) is using for music listening and it is wonderful.I wont sell my s550 if anyone give me twice the price.

I am planning to post a brief review of s550 in TE

Z5500 = FTW .

Using on Pc with an HT Omega [Optical] .

Optical for XBOX 360 + PS3 . They rock for me . Haven`t had any issue with them for the past three years . Daily usage is 5-6 hours . They are indeed worthy , plus come with 2 years of warranty .

Fenix said:
Z5500 = FTW .

Using on Pc with an HT Omega [Optical] .

Optical for XBOX 360 + PS3 . They rock for me . Haven`t had any issue with them for the past three years . Daily usage is 5-6 hours . They are indeed worthy , plus come with 2 years of warranty .

dude you might wanna go easy on it , if the control pod blows off , you're pretty much stuck with it.

one cant compare 2 speaker sets if he has no experience in any one of them ....

I can vouch for z5500 quality but cant say weather its better than s550 simply because i have not heard them ...( they are new )

About the backlight broblem if its under warranty ...take them to service centre ...they replace it at that moment ...no questions asked ...!! ..I had mine replaced

z5500 is louder than s550 but z5500 lacks the powerful sound from center which is great in s550.

from my experience I want to say something

z5500 fails to produce some sounds that comes above mid bass and lower mid (FROM 140 TO 600HZ) and the speaker distorts.

BUT S550 WINS HERE.they wonderfully produce these sounds

here's another trivial fact about the Z5500 the centre speaker is not unique , i mean it's the same one like front and rear just set to placed horizontally , i've measured it's dimension and they perfectly match the rest of the set. that explains the mediocrity of the centre channel sound quality and also opens up the opportunity to blindly purchase a normal rear or front speaker from a set sold lose at ebay and replace it , if it may die.

although this is not the right thread to discuss but is any of the enthusiastic sound experts using alternative passive speakers with the Z5500 sub woofer?

should it be unique to deliver good sound ......and its no secret ...it shows in the spec sheet same wattage for the center ( as the other )

its powerful enough to deliver. . ..
in some 5500 the center speaker is not properly assembled ... ..it rumbles sometimes .....just tie a tight rope around it ..that should solve the problem

kunallkw said:
here's another trivial fact about the Z5500 the centre speaker is not unique , i mean it's the same one like front and rear just set to placed horizontally , i've measured it's dimension and they perfectly match the rest of the set. that explains the mediocrity of the centre channel sound quality and also opens up the opportunity to blindly purchase a normal rear or front speaker from a set sold lose at ebay and replace it , if it may die.

although this is not the right thread to discuss but is any of the enthusiastic sound experts using alternative passive speakers with the Z5500 sub woofer?
AFAIK the centre speaker is of 69W RMS where as others(F,R) are 62 W RMS, so kind a feel it is more powerful than others , not sure how much difference it can make.
refer link: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224#section=specs

^^... ...hmm ...even i considered them to be same ( think i saw the RMS ratings as well......bah ...its clear i did not see clearly ) ......and yeah 7 watts sure can make a lot of difference

I am going to post a brief review of comparing my s550 with z5500,z5300,sony and panasonic home theaters.Now I am comparing my s550 with these systems in all ways.After thorough experiments I will definitely post a review.I am not a blind lover of any brand, if I get best sound from a local brand I will buy because sound quality is not watts and specs it comes only from true engineering and designing(you all people know that I just said it,, sorry).

...well of course z5500 consume a lot of power ...and if you go by 500 w speakers ....they feel overrated ( pitted against the good old megaworks with ~200W)

no one is compairing wattage here ...just siting that the center speakers are diffrent.

well frankly i dont think Z5500 are 505W lol,i found out from some source that its sub is just 120-130W........anyways overall sound is wat matters :)

strategy said:
should it be unique to deliver good sound ......and its no secret ...it shows in the spec sheet same wattage for the center ( as the other )

its powerful enough to deliver. . ..

in some 5500 the center speaker is not properly assembled ... ..it rumbles sometimes .....just tie a tight rope around it ..that should solve the problem
well it's not just sound quality when you're considering a HT, aesthetics also play an equally important role , and for a reason most high end centre speakers are of a standout dimension

A) it has to be as close as 16:9 ratio to match the video. Apparently to make it acoustically transparent.

B) it has to cover a different range of sound frequency and be louder than the rest to set it apart. to create a strong centre imaging(both being two polarised premises)

and thank you vavacious_tg for pointing out the specs of the Z5500 , cleared the delusion .

@strategy you said about tie a rope around speaker. from this people can simply understand the build quality of z5500.if the assembly is not correct then why logitech asking 17k for that idiot speaker system.Now I am asking what is exactly thx means I think it only make people fools.

manu george said:
@strategy you said about tie a rope around speaker. from this people can simply understand the build quality of z5500.if the assembly is not correct then why logitech asking 17k for that idiot speaker system.Now I am asking what is exactly thx means I think it only make people fools.
don't you think you are criticizing Z5500 too much. I am using Z5500 for more than one year & haven't faced even a single issue with it. The build quality is great, no crackling in bass at high volume & detailing is also fine, not expecting a audiophile sound from a 17k system.

can't comment on edifier's as I haven't listen to them but I feel z5500 are great buy & very much appreciated by their target audience for many years since they are launched.

pls don't take anything personal , this is just what I observed with Z5500's.

Z5500 is cheaper and a better option to go for if u having an optical out from source Optical is where u ll feel the difference lossless sound quality
unlike edifier S550 i think the edifier S5500 also comes with a digital version being a little expensive for 22k i heard
Though the Certifications doesn't matter that much but then if u having it for a cheaper price then what is bad in that
so go for Z5500
S550 has a mid range and a tweeter plus it has a better receiver then that of Z5500
Z5500 receiver is having lil flaws like it goes on standby mode automatically when it detecting any digital signal

Back