Budget 51-70k MacBook Air (M1) vs windows laptop

Mukeshmeena

Disciple
Hello everyone
My cousin is looking for lightweight laptop. He never used any MacBook. He wants it for long term maybe 3-5 years. As he is thinking it as of one time investment. He is not accompanied with apple OS. His main purpose will be watching Study lectures and Videos. And fill forms for Jobs. And reading pdfs. And one more thing he will be downloading videos and PDF's from internet ( I don't know if Apple laptop allow that). So please suggest what he should go for. Please keep in mind that display must be good.

M1. it does everything in just the browser. if you want to save a bit of money go for ipad as it would be more versatile with pencil but there wont be a keyboard.

Requirement doesn't need you to spend a ton so save money . Os is important and shouldn't have restrictions. So windows or chrome os should be good. Also previous usage is there so no learning curve needed.

For this use case look for a good windows laptop in 40k range with a big screen.

Can even go for chromebook and save even more. Look at newly launched acer or asus chromebook around 20 30k

Requirement doesn't need you to spend a ton so save money . Os is important and shouldn't have restrictions. So windows or chrome os should be good. Also previous usage is there so no learning curve needed.

For this use case look for a good windows laptop in 40k range with a big screen.

Can even go for chromebook and save even more. Look at newly launched acer or asus chromebook around 20 30k
Do you know what's the avg battery backup of chromebook ??

Do you know what's the avg battery backup of chromebook ??
I have been using a 2017-18 bought chromebook for years now. Mine was a 15 inch acer one. roughly 10 hours battery life and get roughly 8 hours to date.

For the newer models launched in india, in one of the reviews I saw that the battery life it gave was 10-12 hours.

I have been using a 2017-18 bought chromebook for years now. Mine was a 15 inch acer one. roughly 10 hours battery life and get roughly 8 hours to date.

For the newer models launched in india, in one of the reviews I saw that the battery life it gave was 10-12 hours.
What's the durability.?? My cousin wants to keep it for at least 5 years. btw he was considering chromebook too. But he doesn't need touch screen. So any other laptop like chromebook (lightweight) non touch.

What's the durability.?? My cousin wants to keep it for at least 5 years. btw he was considering chromebook too. But he doesn't need touch screen. So any other laptop like chromebook (lightweight) non touch.
Cant say much about durability as it depends on the usage. I told you about my case, it has been working fine since 4 years.

You can use and throw buy a new one in 2-3 years and still save 50% compared to an M1 despite buying 2 laptops.

Newly launched chromebooks that I am referring to have both touch and non touch models. See below links:

Also, now chromebooks support Android apps out of the box

i would not buy anything with intel processors nowadays. amd ryzen laptops are pretty good though. i would also stay away from arm based chrome books. would rather buy a notebook without os and install linux. as it may surprise many but ubuntu as a daily driver is very good. my home laptop is m1 and office laptop is ubuntu. if you stick with ubuntu or debian buster you won’t have any problems day to day. i would absolutely stay away from windows or android.

i would not buy anything with intel processors nowadays. amd ryzen laptops are pretty good though. i would also stay away from arm based chrome books. would rather buy a notebook without os and install linux. as it may surprise many but ubuntu as a daily driver is very good. my home laptop is m1 and office laptop is ubuntu. if you stick with ubuntu or debian buster you won’t have any problems day to day. i would absolutely stay away from windows or android.
I just want it for media consumption I.e watching lectures sometimes Netflix and reading pdfs. But for long term use. And battery backup should be 10+ hrs

Get a chromebook or a cheap windows laptop, should serve you well as @msankadi said. Dont go with a linux machine if someone doesnt know how to get around that OS or uses command line for a living. Some people are used to a simple OS like windows. chrome or even macOS. No need to go through an another headache of being an IT tech support for them. As for the processor if you get a AMD ryzen all great but if not, intel is still pretty good for the work case you have mentioned.

This one should serve him well. Also is way cheaper than a mac, if you want to save more,

https://www.amazon.in/HP-14-inch-Windows-Natural-14s-fq1029AU/dp/B0928SZKL1

This is also pretty good.

Dont go with a linux machine if someone doesnt know how to get around that OS or uses command line for a living. Some people are used to a simple OS like windows. chrome or even macOS. No need to go through an another headache of being an IT tech support for them.
have you tried ubuntu recently? the snap software system is treat to use. every thing gets installed in its own lxc container. totally isolated.
the reason i tell non tech people to stay away from windows is due to the number of ways the system can get infected with viruses. lol even the anti virus softwares behave like viruses.
now coming to chrome os/android. it is wait too tightly coupled with manufacturers releasing updates to the point that it is retarded. especially for arm based systems.

There is no concerns of viruses on windows 10 without any additional av software. Using it for more than 3 years on same computer. I still install nod 32 anti virus on windows just because the license is so cheap in Amazon - why not. It also doesn't slow down anything as used to be the case 5 years ago so there is no catch

Maybe this above mentioned virus infects only specific non India regions, in India there is no concern of the above said virus for windows

Also as I said above have been using chromebook for years now, never faced any issues. Updates get downloaded automatically like a browser updates. Takes under a minute or 2 to restart and apply.

For "non tech" people worldover 90% of them easily use windows so i am pretty sure there is no better bet.

Ubuntu while is very good, definitely not for the non tech people if things break due to some unforeseen reason.

Order windows > chrome os > Ubuntu > everything else

And battery backup should be 10+ hrs
If you need good battery life, go with the M1 Mac. Keep in mind though - when in Apple ecosystem you may have to pay / pay more for things you take for granted on windows. AFAIK, nothing in x64 laptop world offers a comparable performance + efficiency. There is adequate help for both Mac and Windows not to worry about getting adjusted.

While Ubuntu is definitely a wonderful OS for those comfortable tinkering, I have not had the "works out of the box" experience with it. Fundamental things like scrolling speed in browser, mouse driver, display scaling etc need manual intervention.

Using it for more than 3 years on same computer.
i have been using every version windows/microsoft since dos 3.2 days back in 1992. used to scan 180kb 5”1/4 floppy drives with norton nashot av all the way through latest windows 10. spent endless hours cleaning up registry of viruses and anti viruses alike. worked on device drivers and wrote system services on windows and linux alike. my current gaming rig runs win10 and has been running it since insider preview days so… when i say windows is shit i mean it.
Maybe this above mentioned virus infects only specific non India regions, in India there is no concern of the above said virus for windows
this is the most retarded explanation i have ever heard :banghead:

Last edited:
Well for the use cases mentioned, hell even a decent 10 inch tablet will do the job. I would have suggested getting the Fire HD as it does very well fulfilling some of the similar usage for me - media, reading and browsing. Except its not available in India. The OP can look at any of the tablets available on the ongoing Amazon sale but do go with at least 4 GB of RAM. A bluetooth keyboard can be easily added if a physical keyboard is an absolute must.

have you tried ubuntu recently? the snap software system is treat to use. every thing gets installed in its own lxc container. totally isolated.
the reason i tell non tech people to stay away from windows is due to the number of ways the system can get infected with viruses. lol even the anti virus softwares behave like viruses.
now coming to chrome os/android. it is wait too tightly coupled with manufacturers releasing updates to the point that it is retarded. especially for arm based systems.
Not everyone is knows how to do that, not everyone understands all that jargon, many just need a simple computer for their day-to-day needs.
If you do thats great, "the number of ways the system can get infected" is just a plain dumb reason. Look at the use case and only then advice a person, stop having such a condescending tone.

For all you know the person could be from a non tech related background, and doesn't know anything at all its not one shoe that fits all scenario here.
i have been using every version windows/microsoft since dos 3.2 days back in 1992. used to scan 180kb 5”1/4 floppy drives with norton nashot av all the way through latest windows 10. spent endless hours cleaning up registry of viruses and anti viruses alike. worked on device drivers and wrote system services on windows and linux alike. my current gaming rig runs win10 and has been running it since insider preview days so… when i say windows is shit i mean it.

1992, and 2021 you are taking in a 29 year difference, so you mean to say you're using the same PC from then? Kudos to you, and as for the insider build, there's a reason its called the insider build and not available to the public, its basically a beta version of the main software.

Not everyone does that, if you're the person whose installing all that then great, stop throwing ideas up in the air.

Last edited:

So? You could spend hundreds of thousands hours more and because of your bias you won't be able to give advice that is usable to a non biased individual. This is not a competition. This just means despite using it for so many years you have still not been able to figure it out what advice for OTHERS means. [/QUOTE]

this is the most retarded explanation i have ever heard :banghead:

It was on purpose. I thought the smiley would have been a dead giveaway.

My cousin is looking for lightweight laptop. He never used any MacBook.
How light? MacBooks aren't exactly light in today's market.
He wants it for long term maybe 3-5 years.
Long term is usually 10 years. Any laptop can last 3-5 years unless you get a lemon, like I got an Asus Vivobook. Most of the companies offer 3-4 extended warranty, so its a relative peace of mind if you get EW.
His main purpose will be watching Study lectures and Videos. And fill forms for Jobs.
What stream is he from? Does his work include working with computers? Does he plan to do some extensive stuff on computer few years down the line?
Please keep in mind that display must be good.
Kindly define good display. Do you want the very best under a lakh (400nits, 100% sRGB) or reasonably good (300nits, 70% sRGB) or just good (250 nits, sRGB NA)

Last edited:
How light? MacBooks aren't exactly light in today's market.
1-1.5kg

Long term is usually 10 years. Any laptop can last 3-5 years unless you get a lemon, like I got an Asus Vivobook. Most of the companies offer 3-4 extended warranty, so its a relative peace of mind if you get EW.
[/QUOTE] at least for 5 years

What stream is he from? Does his work include working with computers? Does he plan to do some extensive stuff on computer few years down the line?
Students preparing for exams.
Kindly define good display. Do you want the very best under a lakh (400nits, 100% sRGB) or reasonably good (300nits, 70% sRGB)?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know about nits. Etc. But 1080p would be good

Students preparing for exams.
Again, what stream?
If he plans to do anything related to computers in future for eg Comp Sci or any other engg stream then it is recommended to get a fairly powerful laptop with Apple M1 SoC or Ryzen 5 or Core i5 11th gen or above.

If he is either a biology or commerce or arts student and doesn't intend to do any sort of cpu extensive work, then you can look at Core i3 11th gen or Chromebooks.
I don't know about nits. Etc. But 1080p would be good
Nowadays, almost all laptops have a 1080p display.
Good displays are usually IPS panels with 300+nits brightness and 100% sRGB gamut coverage which results in better colors.

Again, almost all laptops today are under 1.5kgs as they don't come with cd drives anymore.. but laptops with HDDs are closer to 1.5kg.

You can refer to this table to get some idea. Though it's roughly 3 months old now but it will give you an idea about what you get for what you spend - https://techenclave.com/threads/a-m...and-some-recommendations.197323/#post-2266729

Back