Maggi and the soup its in

I shudder at the thought of the possibility that it has always had dangerous contents (especially the lead) for so many years, and people eating it since childhood would have some sort of negative effects on their health. I hope for otherwise though.

I shudder at the thought of the possibility that it has always had dangerous contents (especially the lead) for so many years, and people eating it since childhood would have some sort of negative effects on their health. I hope for otherwise though.
Most of the lead poisoning symptoms are so common that we will easily miss it.

snippet from wiki
The classic signs and symptoms in children are loss of appetite, abdominal pain, vomiting, weight loss, constipation, anemia, kidney failure, irritability, lethargy, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems.[34] Slow development of normal childhood behaviors, such as talking and use of words, and permanent intellectual disability are both commonly seen.[33] Although less common, it is possible for fingernails to developleukonychia striata if exposed to abnormally high lead concentrations.[36]

details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

See, I love Maggi, you love Maggi, we all love Maggi. But accept that, it is dangerous for our health. And to be very frank, we all knew about it but never paid any importance due to lack of evidence. But now as we have govt's report, Don't avoid it. The shopkeepers believes that it is FDA's conspiracy to stop its sale as the brand denied to pay bribe. They are selfish, money making *****. So, stopping buying Maggi until Govt declares its reports in all states.

^^ every processed/packaged food contains something which is harmful for our body. we all know it. yet we turn a blind eye. govt can ban maggi but how are they going to stop roadside eateries and cheap restaurants from using the same objectionable stuff - MSG? even magi magic masala contains MSG. don't know if that's banned too.

if a packaged stuff (food/non-food) doesn't have MSG, then it might have aspartame or SLS. and why doesn't our caring govt test soft drinks?

it's all sham.

^^^
maggi had claimed it has no MSG in it's packet. you can see a pack of maggi noddles and see no mention of MSG. maggi magic masala is different as it has upfrontly declared it has MSG in it's content within permissible limits as perlaw

One of my friends who is in the know told me that restaurants are now adding MSG to sambhar. The other day I was at Wow momo and asked the cook about MSG and he said .."Haan sir, daalte hain. We can't cook without MSG". That was the last time I went to the shop.

I stopped eating out about a year ago. > 90% of my meals are now cooked at home. I also stopped consuming any food that has a high shelf life or has ingredients I am not familiar with (pretty much all food that comes in packages). I have seen my health and energy levels improve dramatically.

Food industry has deep pockets. If you fight about MSG, they will replace it with something more harmful that no one knows about. Remember that they kept denying the harmful affects of trans-fats long after it had wasted many lives.

Food industry still actively opposes any research on excitotoxins like aspertame and MSG. Any doctor or dietician who touches these topics is vilified and his/her funding is cut off.

F*** them. Take charge of your food.

Last edited:
I saw a Discovery channel experiment about people eating MSG (test) and the results were that MSG is not really harmful, it's just another taste enhancer. Of course too much of any good thing can be bad too.

and the results were that MSG is not really harmful, it's just another taste enhancer.
then why don't they let children consume MSG? or a fluoride toothpaste for that matter?
maggi had claimed it has no MSG in it's packet.
it definitely used to have MSG... maybe few years back. maybe they reduced it these days as now it tastes so bland. it probably gave rise to other tastier options such as yippee.

you can see a pack of maggi noddles and see no mention of MSG.
you fell for it? who believes in labels of processed food? from the news article posted earlier:
Facing immense pressure and ban in five states, Nestle India has decided to take Maggi noodles off the shelves across the country. The product has been under scrutiny for alleged high lead and monosodium glutamate (MSG) content.

One of my friends who is in the know told me that restaurants are now adding MSG to sambhar. The other day I was at Wow momo and asked the cook about MSG and he said .."Haan sir, daalte hain. We can't cook without MSG". That was the last time I went to the shop.

Continuing further.. The uber delicious Palak Paneer, an out an out veggie affair.. the saviour of the day dish at many buffets.. Many of the caterers been using meat masala to make it sumptuous and spike its taste up.

Now, I realize where that dementia has seeped in. So early.

If only this report had come out during our board exam result.. sigh..

then why don't they let children consume MSG? or a fluoride toothpaste for that matter?
it definitely used to have MSG... maybe few years back. maybe they reduced it these days as now it tastes so bland. it probably gave rise to other tastier options such as yippee.
MSG is prohibited for children less than 12 months of age. Which anyways dont eat processed food. they either breast feed or are on powder diet.
MSG is harmful for pregnant women, infants under 1year of age and even migraine patients. Now its not a thumb rule that it wont have any side effects on a 13months baby. Ideally when they say one year its approx based on their studies.
Coming to Maggi. Any amount of Lead is harmful, no doubt. No disagreement there.
About MSG: Maggi packets says "No Added MSG" this does not mean it has ZERO MSG. Some MSG will always be present which comes from raw products like vegetables used in the product.

Funny thing is even if we forget MSG and Lead for a moment, A pair of maggi cake contains so much salt that it amounts to about 70% salt recommended for an adult in a day. That is the biggest danger of eating maggi frequently.

Also on a side note. No news channel or news paper will mention this coz it will not create masala for them.
The FSSAI or Govt body has no definition of how much MSG any food product should contain. The guidelines say MSG: "Use as per Industry Standard Practices" which is not definitive term.
Problem with our media is they want hype and not education.. They like chaos not awareness.

What about these questions:
1) Maggi being sold for last 3 decades why is that these tests popped up now? Is there any data how frequently these products are tested?
2)What is the lab standard where these tests are conducted? If they were really up to date would the Govt need to approach private labs every now and then for sample testing?
3)FYI Our FDA labs are using technologies which are from the 80's... (Yes I do know first hand. This is no blind allegation)
4)Why are the tests across labs in various states not consistent? Why not test the same batch sample in multiple labs to confirm if results or testing procedures are consistent.

I am not supporting Maggi no saying that they are not at fault. They are very much at fault for keeping customers in dark.
If that was not the case they would have gone all offensive on the state govts by now...
Its not only Nestle the problem persists with almost every FMCG company only because the Indian laws are not concrete against such frauds.
If it was USA or EU by now Nestle would have faced class action suits and very well be out of business for that one product atleast.

A pvt org took up the cause with Maggi two years back and forced them to change their tagline. When they published that it was healthier for kids.
Also in many developed countries promotion of items targeted at children is prohibited. Why not such laws in India.

Last edited:
^good points.
Smoking is dangerous and WILL cause cancer. Ban cigarettes. But does the govt give a ****? Nope. So now why are we banning maggis? And screw indian media. I'm storing some maggis for future use. Too bad i dont have enough money to last me a year. :/[DOUBLEPOST=1433499769][/DOUBLEPOST]Forgot to ask, what if Nesle India agrees to put a small note "contains MSG or whatever" somewhere on the package like these cigarette companies do? Some of you might remember, cigarettes were banned earlier and the ban was revoked only after the companies agreed to put the warning on their packages. Just let me have my maggi in peace, please!

Last edited:
I have been hesitating to eat even mangoes these days after I came across this video on whatsapp
The video below shows how a box of mangoes, meant to be exported from the Karippur Airport in Kozhikode, Kerala, explodes after food inspectors set it on fire. The explosion is caused by small packets of calcium carbide inserted amidst the mangoes to make them ripen faster.
Why you should never set fire to a box of mangoes

The trouble with fruit ripened artificially is the arsenic and phosphorous hydride created by Calcium carbide. CaC2 has cancer causing properties and could initially lead to vomiting, diarrhoea with blood and pain in the chest with other symptoms

MSG is prohibited for children less than 12 months of age.

MSG should be banned for everyone.
ms.jpg

Smoking is dangerous and WILL cause cancer. Ban cigarettes. But does the govt give a ****? Nope.
tobacco industry is much more powerful than any govt.

but you failed to see the difference here.

everyone knows that smoking is bad. whosoever smokes, know about the consequences. it's upto the smokers themselves to quit/avoid smoking. no one is keeping any secrets from them.

in case of processed food, they put a lot of stuff which you are not supposed to ingest. they put labels with scientific/industrial naming convention that a normal person cannot decipher immediately, nor has the will to do so. unlike smokers, processed/packaged food consumers are kept in dark about the side-effects of those added binders/preservatives/anti-caking agents etc.

for years, packaged food labels have been mentioning stuff like MSG, aspartame etc as part of their ingredients. consumers never bothered because unlike on cigarette packs, food packages didn't carry any warnings. people are now waking up from their slumber

forget about MSG in food. it's indians and the indian govt that you should be wary of. we are just too lame.

indian incense sticks exported to first world countries carry a warning label that its smoke can cause cancer. same indians and indian govt suppresses this info from fellow indians.

Last edited:
Being a noob, took some time to realise that MSG is commonly known as ajinomoto
Ajinomoto is nothing but a Japanese firm named Ajinomoto Corp.
Ajinomoto
It produces this Ajinomoto food enhancer. Its main ingredient is this monosodium glutamate commonly known as MSG.
MonoSodium Glutamate commonly known as Ajinomoto is one of the main ingredient of many Chinese food item.Still most of people don’t know its side effects on our health.Children and pregnant woman are more vulnerable to it.
How This MSG Is Made & Why Is It So Harmful?
When you eat items containing MSG or glutamic acid, then the glutamate levels in the blood increases by about 8-10 times. Normally this level should be very low in the blood. Due to this excess level, it causes severe effects.
Also the ajinomoto ingredients is an excitatory neurotransmitter. It over stimulates the nerve cells. Excess intake of this ingredient upsets the balance of the neurotransmitter. This imbalance leads to an unhealthy body and also adverse consequences.
it stimulates your pancreas. Pancreas then releases the insulin even when your sugar level is fine. This excess insulin causes a drop in the sugar level of the body and you feel hungry. This leads to overeating along with obesity.
Source : Why Side Effects Of Ajinomoto Are Deadlier Than You Think?

Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
As per Ajinomoto North America, Inc. website
Ajinomoto.JPG

Source : MSG - Monosodium Glutamate - Ajinomoto Nutrition and Health
Thanks for the thread, i cleared some of my jargon's I consume daily

FYI, Every thing you eat in a road side stall to a five start hotel contains MSG. If its a salty/masala based dish made outside your house and its tasty, doesn't matter whether its North Indian, South Indian, Chinese or Western style, it contains MSG and let me assure you there is now way for you to find out how much MSG they have put in the dish after its done and if you have ever looked at how much they usually put, it would definitely be less than any thing like instant noodles that you can purchase off the self. If any one has seen "Vah Chef", in one episode he explains how he puts MSG even when he is making an omelette. .

The research on MSG itself is dubious and inconclusive. When MSG came out and started getting exported to other countries from Japan, it is believed that the Europeans saw that its growing usage is creating a dependency on Japan and in order to reduce this, they started a smear campaign through bogus scientific research. This is nothing new even by that time. Similar smear campaign was done against consumption of rice as well back in the late 1800's when Europeans declared it as harmful and restricted imports and taxed it heavily.

As for dosage, it applies to everything. People can become ill or die by eating too much common salt and people die even if they consume 3 lit of water in one go.

I don't know whether Maggi contains a overdose of MSG or not, but I strongly believe that this is a deliberate smear campaign against Maggi and Nestle. There are dozens of other less reputed and dubious instant noodle brands, so why the limelight on Maggi explicitly which is the best selling brand? Why hasn't there been a comparison to a similar product of another brand. Do these so called bodies and the govt have any intention to do the same tests on the competing products?

By feeling is that this maybe a result of lobbying by competitors or there maybe other political reasons.

Last edited:
Back