Mech. Keyboards

vink

Disciple
budget 4-5k max

So far am using i ball rubber dome keyboard. never could get hands on mech. switch keyboards so only feel is from yt videos.

i dont know much details on brands related to keyboards.. found some on amazon from cosmic bytes, redgears, but they all flashy.
dont care about rgb lighting but basic backlight would be helpful..

i've read some old suggestions threads here but still cant make much of them..
I need silent keyboard. from search came to know mx browns, red are to go.
any suggestions?

also in case if you have something to sell close to this, let me know also. thx.

I have CoolerMaster Masterkeys but that's not on Amazon anymore. It's now some membrane+mechanical keyboard.
If you want something silent then TVS is out of question.

I have CoolerMaster Masterkeys but that's not on Amazon anymore. It's now some membrane+mechanical keyboard.
If you want something silent then TVS is out of question.
yeah read tvs is blue swtiches? they are loud.. to me brown also sound loud but least noisy i guess...

Reds will be least noisy, even unlubed. I have a Gigabyte Force K83 with Cherry MX Reds and it's no louder than typing on my laptop keyboard (Acer Nitro 7 with 2mm key travel). If you are looking for silence, linear switches such as Reds are your only choice, even browns I find loud after being used to reds. One thing to keep in mind about mech keyboards is that any mech will be loud if you bottom it out, so I recommend you learn touch typing or else even Reds will be quite loud

If you are coming from a membrane then every mechanical switch will be noisy, reds, browns all. I cannot bear the sound of my reds and I've been using them for 4½ years now. Yes, I'm a bottom out type typist, can't do touch typing. Another factor is travel distance, you will be much slower on a mech.

Another factor is travel distance, you will be much slower on a mech.
will mech. keys increase in type accuracy? i have read somewhere that mis typing happens more on membrane keyboards..?
One thing to keep in mind about mech keyboards is that any mech will be loud if you bottom it out, so I recommend you learn touch typing or else even Reds will be quite loud
touch typing means light touching while typing... ? but does that work on mech keyboards?
and bottom out typing means pressing all the way to bottom.. ?

sorry am completely new in mech keyboards..

Another factor is travel distance, you will be much slower on a mech.
I think this depends on the style of the typist really, I can type a bit faster on my mech compared to my membrane laptop and logitech bluetooth keyboards.
touch typing means light touching while typing... ? but does that work on mech keyboards?
and bottom out typing means pressing all the way to bottom.. ?

sorry am completely new in mech keyboards..
Just google touch typing and bottom out typing dude. But basically touch typing means not pressing keys all the way to the bottom. Basically only using as much force as necessary to actuate the keys instead of hitting the bottom every time.

just google touch typing and bottom out typing dude. But basically touch typing means not pressing keys all the way to the bottom. Basically only using as much force as necessary to actuate the keys instead of hitting the bottom every time.
yeah guessed pretty much same... also Gigabyte Force K83 is currently not available on amz. any other suggestion?

will mech. keys increase in type accuracy? i have read somewhere that mis typing happens more on membrane keyboards..?
It didn't increase my accuracy one bit bro, not even the slightest. If anything it decreased it due to that travel distance problem. Half the time I type the succeeding letter thinking I've typed the preceding one.

It depends on the keyboards. I'm slower on mech and my accuracy is lower too. I prefer a good membrane for fast typing tbh.
Also membrane keyboards with that old non-chiclet design (I've forgotten what it's called, with curved edges) are the best for typing imo. Lenovo Ideapads laptops use this style.
Also no mech keyboard is quiet. Blue is loudest from what I've used but I'm going to buy one anyway as no other keyboard have what my requirements. I think the Logitech G413 something uses red switches.

It didn't increase my accuracy one bit bro, not even the slightest. If anything it decreased it due to that travel distance problem. Half the time I type the succeeding letter thinking I've typed the preceding one.
ohh this comes to ink pen vs ball pen kind of scenarios.. which one oyu use? or tried?

@iPwnz
keyboards with that old non-chiclet design (I've forgotten what it's called, with curved edges)
rubber dome keyboards? here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology#Dome-switch_keyboard

Logitech G413 looks slick, but out of budget... :( do you use this one?
TVS Gold Prime has Kailh red switches

i like this one.. but i've seen people complaining about tvs quality is poor now.. but for 1st use this might be only affordable option left.

Last edited:
i like this one.. but i've seen people complaining about tvs quality is poor now.. but for 1st use this might be only affordable option left.
This used to be considered a great option till a few years ago when TVS changed the keycaps from Cherry MX to Kailh. Idk about the new ones quality but I've seen the same one being used in gaming cafes all across my city and the owners mentioned that they picked these because they lasted for decades - one was from 1980s, rest from 1990s and early 2000s in a cyber cafe I had been to about 2 yrs ago. Might be worth the gamble if you want the mech feel, though personally I didn't like the cramped layout at all, and much prefer standard layout like my Force K83 has. Btw Gigabyte stopped production of the Force K83, so if you see any new units available for a reasonable price (under 4k, preferably under 3.5k) snag it up.

Not the switches or dome, but the general keyboard. This kind of keyboard is the best to type on imo. But I don't know if there are any in mech. Maybe you could try those MX Speed or something but they are not cheap.
csm_lenovo_z61m_tastatur_01_54ad252928.jpgcsm_lenovo_z61m_touchpad_01_e86115513c.jpg

Logitech G413 looks slick, but out of budget... :( do you use this one?
No, I don't use it. My friend has it. I just didn't like the red backlit leds. Hurt my eyes.
Anyway someone is selling one in the forum market.
RMA'd and almost un-used. Warranty till May 20, 2021. Price: 4250rs without the extra keycaps. If you could get it for 3500rs shipped or so it would be a sweet deal.

Last edited:
I've used both reds and blues for a little bit over 30 mins each test typing them on monkeytype.com. The current keyboard that i use in my home is a logitech wireless membrane kb, which is quite decent tbh. My speed is roughly 100 wpm+ average.

As someone here already said, if you cannot get used to touch typing (like me) then by god the reds are really hard for me to type on. Tried the cherry mx red switches on a hyperx kb in a gaming cafe and they are really not that good for typing imo. The actuation point on that kb was really fast, great for gaming, counter strafing was really good since response was quite instant. However in typing i ended up either typing a character more or ending up with more spaces than i intended. I'm really used to bottoming out on the membrane so I didn't really enjoy reds (although with more time and practice on it, who knows my opinion might be different)

Blues on the other hand, they're loud lmao, They're better than the reds due to the fact that you actually have to push them further but they were too heavy for me to type on again. Felt like i was smashing my keyboard instead of typing on it gently. Good for normal people who don't intend to type alot or aren't fast, it's absolutely fine for them (my friend who owns the blue switch kb which is some decent chinese branded one with chinese switches, he has a really low wpm of 40 and below so it's fine for him)

Only ones i haven't tried yet are the browns, which apparently are a mix of both worlds with the sound being more quiet than the blues yet still maintaining a bit of tactility but not to the extent of the blues.

Yes Browns are very nice. Many say that if you like Cherry MX Browns then you may love Gateron Browns more. I haven't used the latter.

Yes Browns are very nice. Many say that if you like Cherry MX Browns then you may love Gateron Browns more. I haven't used the latter.
Can someone confirm with certainty that gateron made switches are on par with Cherry? I have thought of selling my cherry reds and get a low travel distanced model which the gateron switches are supposed to be but I'm extremely concerned regarding their quality/ longevity being a cheena company.

Can someone confirm with certainty that gateron made switches are on par with Cherry? I have thought of selling my cherry reds and get a low travel distanced model which the gateron switches are supposed to be but I'm extremely concerned regarding their quality/ longevity being a cheena company.
According to most people, the chinese switches are actually even better compared to their cherry mx counterparts. The idea that cherry mx switches are the golden standard is quite false really.

I've used both reds and blues for a little bit over 30 mins each test typing them on monkeytype.com. The current keyboard that i use in my home is a logitech wireless membrane kb, which is quite decent tbh. My speed is roughly 100 wpm+ average.
i too feel like again going back to better membrane keyboard.. :confused:

@Rezep
According to most people, the chinese switches are actually even better compared to their cherry mx counterparts.
reading this everywhere, but gateron switches are costly and that too with need to be imported made them even harder to get..

You can take a look at these

Not exactly mechanical, it's optical actually (uses lasers instead of actual switches or something like that)

The only switch that makes the kb more expensive is the optical yellows.

Back