Media Players - Xtreamer - to or Not to

you can Build a decent HTPC with a Budget of 20K.

If you have an old computer like a P4 or Higher then the cost can be reduced.

I am in a process of Building an HTPC from an old system. It is almost complete.

This is my config.(I had actually posted this on nVidia forums hence I am just pasting it here)

HTPC Build:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz LGA775 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken | Gigabyte GA-81915-ME-C | 2GB DDR RAM 400Mhz | Zotac GT 430 1GB 128 bit DDR3 | Diamond Xtreme 7.1 Soundcard | Lian-Li v351 | Logitech diNovo mini keyboard combo | Maxtor 40 GB Boot Drive & 2TB WD Green | FSP Saga II 400 PSU | Sony BRAVIA 32" LCD | Sony BRAVIA Home Theatre DAV-DZ570 | Windows Vista Home Premium x86

AC Ryan and Xtreamer are both based on the Realtek chip. The AC Ryan on the 1073DD and the Xtreamer on 1283DD. The latter has a few extra video encoding features. Playback wise both are exactly the same. The xtreamer will run smoother though because the chip runs at 500MHz vs 400MHz for the rest of the realtek players.

Desecrator said:
[OT]More than being just glad TBP! :)

When you create such threads, courtesy demands that you post an update on what you have finally invested in, lest others should keep pitching in with their suggestions.[/OT]
I already did my friend.. Please be kind to check those threads & my purchase info.

Anyways... Getting back to Media player.. Gona sell WDTV Live...

Ehh We have Chaos here... Bro, can you suggest any media player with perfect BT capability ?

Almost all of them have a BT client albeit all of them require some firmware/software hacking to get it to work. The xtreamer tools from the official forums have a torrent client. I tried it - works too but to use it perfectly and have it load upon start, you need to format the internal hard drive to ext3 which is a bummer IMHO.

Chaos said:
Playback wise both are exactly the same.
The Xtreamer doesn't support .rmvb files. The POHD/POHD mini does. So no, playback wise the Xtreamer does lack features.

Desecrator said:
The Xtreamer doesn't support .rmvb files. The POHD/POHD mini does. So no, playback wise the Xtreamer does lack features.
Are you sure that the Xtreamer doesn't support rmvb files? (realtek chips do support rmvb format, its the sigma chips which do not support rmvb, WD TV/Live uses sigma)

Definitive "Media Files Supported" List for the Xtreamer SW, Pro and Mk1 - Xtreamer - Simply The Best

Even if it lacks rmvb playback, I do not think that its a great disadvantage over other players (who is using rmvb here?)

gmano said:
Are you sure that the Xtreamer doesn't support rmvb files? (realtek chips do support rmvb format, its the sigma chips which do not support rmvb, WD TV/Live uses sigma)

Definitive "Media Files Supported" List for the Xtreamer SW, Pro and Mk1 - Xtreamer - Simply The Best

Even if it lacks rmvb playback, I do not think that its a great disadvantage over other players (who is using rmvb here?)
At least the site does not mention it. And I suppose this was highlighted before in another thread. Wonder why the parent site doesn't mention the support for rmvb files if the forum does it! Quite possible that a firmware released later supported the rmvb playback. Makes perfect sense to invest in the Xtreamer over POHD then. POHD is grossly overpriced in India ATM - around 12k IINM. The POHD mini retails cheaper though - supports all the formats the POHD does.

Xtreamer.Net - Specification

Plenty of us do watch .rmvb files particularly for all those series because they occupy a relatively smaller size compared to the .avi files without a noticeable loss in the PQ/SQ. Dexter for instance, the avi file occupies 550MB whereas the .rmvb file is around 150-200 MB. :p

Thanks for all suggestions...I am putting my money on TviX HDSlimS1 this time...Will write back soon...Anyway let the thread stay on for some more time :)

Back