Micromax A70 First Impressions

Thanks for all the useful info from your experiences.

I have also rooted and using a market application cpu tuner which under clocks the cpu based on the battery condition. I have set the trigger at 30% of the battery which exteneds the battery as the cpu clock reduces to 122 Mhz.

Is there any application which tweeks the cpu speed based on screen off mode or airplane mode?

Some one may also please upload original ( unchanged) ROM as it came in the box. Unfortunately I have made many changes and the ROM backup I have is this changed version only.

tamilmad said:
Some one may also please upload original ( unchanged) ROM as it came in the box. Unfortunately I have made many changes and the ROM backup I have is this changed version only.

I've already uploaded the nandroid image of my factory backup. Since I could not backup without rooting. The Image will be rooted after you restore.

Please find links to download it from earlier posts.

you need to install clockworkmod recovery and rom manager. Also I've written how to restore from my backup.... you need to go through the forum though. I'm thinking of moving the entire stuff to a blog where you will get the continuity..... but for the lack of time..........

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

TODAY is Onam, the Biggest festival of Keralites....

My self being a Keralite.......Wish all of you all a Happy Onam......

and my special onam greeting to Sunny, Supra and jijo who were the first guys to be there when the post started.......... and are the guys who are still with me.......

akshaybz said:
Happy Onam Aditya bhai...

Hope to get CM7 or GB for A70 else..this phone is junk! (1000s of crashes, low battery life etc etc )

thanks akshay.......I'm going through XDA tutorials........still haven't got the grip of how to build a CM7 for our device..........may be I need to go through newbie route......like rebuilding the stock rom....deodexing apks and the like....... I have less than 1% of the true knowledge how android works as a system..... trying to focus on it with all the distractions of day to day life....... I could not even set up the phone for adb......I'm using linux, so things should work easier for me......but still lagging much behind what I thought I could achieve.......

1. If some body has setup adb with this phone successfully pls let me know (i don't mind whether it is windows base) I just want to know how it could be done....

2.How can we boot the phone into recovery mode..........the button combination.....any body could figure it out pls........I tried quite a few combinations ....unsuccessfully....

@akshay : don't give up your heart man.....we will have our stock rom modified ok....:)

thanks for the stock ROM which I have downloaded as a backup.

I have installed a paid application (Rs 95/-) SETCPU which enables you to underclock the cpu, based on Time, bateery level and Screen Off mode etc. With this I now get about 1 day of battery (with 6 hours of sleep mode) with normal daily usage of mobile calls and gprs net usage.

You can release some more memory by removing the following system applications loke TALKBACK, KICKBACK< SOUNDBACK ( which are acceessabilty option) and other micromax application like MIRomae, Savan Music etc.,

@adi we're in exactly same situation...

Since no developer is interested in this device, we have to do it overselves...

My exams will be over soon and then i'll try to do something :)

There are multiple adb drivers for Micromax a70 floating around the net.. In this link , there are 2 drivers ..

1) W601T2

2) From what ive seen the actual adb google driver, tweaked by someone .. this

In the first driver's android_winusb.inf , see these lines

%USB\VID_1D91&PID_0009&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_1D91&PID_0009&MI_01

%USB\VID_1D91&PID_000B&MI_02.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_1D91&PID_000B&MI_02

;for download mode

%USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

and bla bla bla...

These lines look much different than the official google drivers.. and i think this is the problem..

But in the second download link.. the lines are similar ..must be someone on the net who managed to tweak it (albeit incorrectly) for it to work..

I dont know abt driver coding but i think whoever tweaked it has missed one line

Under [Google.NTx86] just copy paste

;Micromax A70

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1D91&PID_0009

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1D91&PID_0009&REV_0226&MI_01

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1D91&PID_4E11

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1D91&PID_4E12&MI_01

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1D91&PID_4E22&MI_01

or else the driver will not install in Intel based processor chips (from what ive seen :p)

Under [Google.NTamd64], the lines are already there...

Ok back to the current scenario.. ALL Drivers that i listed, AND the official google drivers, both by tweaking etc DO NOT WORK.. LOL yep, there's no way to set up ADB .. yet.. Hope u guys have better luck than me

nottushar said:
Any guide for dummies how to restore the phone and then remove all micromax crap from it? Real Android N00B here.

If you go through earlier posts then you might get the method of how to bring back the phone to factory settings but in rooted mod.....

to remove micromax software use systemapkmanager from market also in earlier , first freeze the system app you want to remove then remove the 'crap'....but give newshunt and moneycontrol a try......both are one of the best softwares in their own fields. also I've read that Titaniumbackup Premium(paid) version also helps freezing of system apps.

akshaybz said:
@adi we're in exactly same situation...

Since no developer is interested in this device, we have to do it overselves...

My exams will be over soon and then i'll try to do something :)

developers develope for their own devices..... also this phone being sold mainly in india only, so developers of US/european/ other asian nations may not have a chance of buying this device.... (most of the developers are students and go for the best value for money..... and VFM devices will generally have half baked software and implementation

In a way it is good......our budding developers like you will bloom, at least the most intelligent people on earth will come forth. dependence on western developers will never allow our native talent to come to the fore front..

westerners are very hard workers and very dedicated to their work.....and very passionate about it....... and every nation has their own theme and lifestyle.......... our theme revolves around spirituality, peace, harmony and family.... all these are fast vanishing......

anyway something is left there to develope at least. that's the only way to learn the innards of android.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can download unyaffs here

unyaffs is a tool to unzip system.img from clockworkmod backup of the stock rom.

In linux unzip the unyaffs.tar.7z file by right clicking--->extract here option.

open a terminal and go the unzip directory (for eg: if your unyaffs is in download folder, type

$ cd ~/Download/unyaffs <press enter>

$ gcc -o unyaffs unyaffs.c

$ sudo cp unyaffs /usr/bin

now extract the clockworkmod backup go to system.img file

create a folder with name "system"

$ mkdir system

$ cd system

$ unyaffs ../system.img

now now you can get the system folder for editing.

Well I just checked out this phone with a friend and was very impressed, considering the screen is better then o1 and camera actually better then defy.

Ok wanna be developers, get ready to go, I just got the recovery key combination of A70 here it is

1. switch off the phone. ( normally at the end of shutdown my phone vibrates and dies down)

2. press the Vol up key + Vol down key + Power key .........

yes both vol up and down together with power button. I cannot be more clear. since my phone is rooted and Clockworkmod recovery is installed (v.4.0.1.5) I booted into recovery mod straight from off state.

One request : If anybody who has not installed ROM manger and clockworkmod is there pls check this key combination and pls post what screen you get on recovery. It will be most beneficial if a photograph of the screen is attached.

I've attached the pic of key combination

[attachment=9444:16146.attach]

Attachments

• micromax-a70-left-side-view2.jpg
    micromax-a70-left-side-view2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 111
aka911 said:
Well I just checked out this phone with a friend and was very impressed, considering the screen is better then o1 and camera actually better then defy.

Thanks for dropping in to say your impressions.

Yesterday, I ripped off the factory fitted screen cover and put a screen guard that just fits my screen........ the shop owner......did it for me....a couple of bubble are there though........but the screen is so impressive....I think the guys should first rip off factory screen guard and put in an after market one....

all these days I missed the best part of the mobile : the screen.

Rumoured: Micromax A85 coming soon!

Features:

1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual Core processor

8 GB internal storage

512 MB RAM

UI customised by Micromax

Rumoured price 15k, but unsure.

Micromax aiming also at the tablet market!

Hello all,

Finally, at the second attempt, my membership is approved at this site! This is THE thread I had my eyes on, since I have bought a Micromax A70 a few days back, and I wanted to share a few points regarding this phone with you all. This is my first Android, so I'm not a power user yet -- I haven't rooted it as well.

I'll try to sum up the good and bad of this phone, although most have covered this already:

Pros

+ I bought this at Rs 6.4k (with a 5% ebay DC) - at this price, it's value is simply unbeatable - no other Android comes even close IMHO

+ There is absolutely ZERO lag while using normal apps on this phone. Only places where you would find lags are heavy duty games (and I mean really heavy duty ones such as 3D racing games and so on - even games like Fruit Slice work fine for me)

+ The screen is an absolute gem, so is the capacitive touch

+ Call quality is as good as (or even better than?) my previous phone - Nokia 5130 ExpressMusic

+ 5MP cam is decent

Cons

- Wifi signal is a bit weak, however, both at office and at home, the phone always gets the signal (hence I've had no issues with it)

- Comes with a really ugly screenguard which hides how good the screen is. Make sure you rip that off!

- Doubtful about Gingerbread update (although igyaan's video review definitively says it is possible)

- I find it hard to grip the phone, seems very slippery to me. Has almost fallen out of my hand once. Wish it had a rubberized back.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Now, on to the real reason for my update:

Battery life issues
Now, I know many folks here have seen disastrous battery life for this phone recently on this thread. Very recently, I have seen the same, and I want to know if you guys are facing the same issue: when I go to "Battery Usage", there is this "Dialer" app that consumes a LOT of cpu unnecessarily. This happens after every call, or anything that uses phone/contacts/dialer screens.

This thread Issue 17383 - android - Dialer stuck in partial wakelock - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting contains the bug and discussions related to it. It's there on Froyo AND GB, but Google's not fixed it yet.

I'm certain this has been the reason for my poor battery life recently (max 1 day with very moderate use). I downloaded this app called "Fast Reboot" and am manually restarting all processes after every call (to kill Dialer as well).

Let me know if you guys have some info regarding this issue.

~Raj

Assassin's creed altair's chronicles

Modern Combat Sandstorm (has scrambled menu, but thats it.. the game's good and playable :p)

Raging thunder 2

All work perfectly.. with minimal/slight lag but definitely playable... IDK why people spread false info that this device isnt capable of that... Sony Ericson Xperia X8 has 168 MB ram and if that is capable of so many games and stuff, why not ours ? with 256 MB :p

Ill check and see if NOVA is playable or not ..

nova works but with slight lag in areas with multiple enemies..happy gaming

@sunil : If you have rooted your phone and the recovery key combination doesn't work for you means that stock recovery mode/key is something else.....I will find out and tell. Install Rom manager and Clockwork mod ...... you will surely get this recovery..... also don't forget to make a backup of your phone once you boot into recovery.

2 days ago the phone fell down from my hands at a height of 3 ft.. .....hit 3 or 4 places and finally came to a halt....not even the back cover came off........ I waited for two days to post just to check if some internal issue had cropped up so far.....:)

Nice to see the thread up and roaring :)

So no new updates from Playful God also ! We really need a better ROM for this device so desperately.

Back