Motorola ATRIX ... What a device!!!

madnav said:
im not sure if this is the reason but the phone will double up as a laptop with laptop dock (a laptop with screen and keyboard, no cpu+mobo)

Many phones powered by tegra2 and intel atom will now be incorporating this.

A possible/desirable hack would be to install ubuntu as that alternative webtop while using with laptop dock.
The 1GB will surely matter in that case when the phone has to handle 2 systems.

only downside with atrix i have so far is locked and encrypted bootloader. I get a feeling that moto will unlock it soon. It did release unlocked bootloader with Xoom as google would not want a restricted flagship tablet.
Also Moto Droid was best example for why unencrypted bootloader is important for them to be successful commercially; not sure but that phone outsold then iPhone competitor.
if you wanted a webtop, why not simply buy a nettop(bigger screen plus cheaper)

you have to buy a laptop dock to use this feature. And carrying a laptop DOCK plus a phone to use it with?? Any not-so-full-of-tech guy would tell his friend

"Hey look, stupid here!"

comp@ddict said:
if you wanted a webtop, why not simply buy a nettop(bigger screen plus cheaper)

you have to buy a laptop dock to use this feature. And carrying a laptop DOCK plus a phone to use it with?? Any not-so-full-of-tech guy would tell his friend

"Hey look, stupid here!"
The reply was to explain why the 1GB ram might be there.

There is no need to be so judgmental about needs of other people.

Flaming has become a norm here.

Ankur said:
@Naveen,

can you please post the link you bought it from??
There is no link.

The purchase was not via any e-commerce website.

There is not actual purchase either, just a few arrangements how i acquired them.

if you at all getting them from anywhere, make sure they are working fine. The bootloader is locked as well as encrypted and there is a high chance of countering sellers who will sell bricked devices. Coming back to live from hard brick encase of newly released devices can be a headache and we wont be in a position to return after ordering here via aramex.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

:hap2:

it already is a modified/customized ubuntu :)

Ubuntu.sh - xda-developers

The reply was to explain why the 1GB ram might be there.

There is no need to be so judgmental about needs of other people.

Flaming has become a norm here.

I agree with your 1GB ram point.

This is different. I wasn't flaming you.

Actually I was flaming everyone who's gonna carry a phone to use a laptop dock :p

The Laptop dock is a really nice innovation by Motorola .. and Moto has said that all future top end devices will support this dock .. considering how fast these phones are evolving we will definetly see more such dock-devices comming up from other manufacturers.
Smart phone + Laptop dock beats Smart phone + laptop any day .. interms of price and portability.

Honestly no one can tell the laptop dock apart from a lappy at first look anyways .. I don't see the "nerdy" factor here .. its meant for business professionals and to lighten their luggage who actually look 'stupid' lugging around thinkpads and latitudes for simple presentations .. which this device can surely achieve :)
The OS + HW isn't so optimized to utillize the dock completely yet but soon we will ..

comp@ddict said:
I agree with your 1GB ram point.

This is different. I wasn't flaming you.

Actually I was flaming everyone who's gonna carry a phone to use a laptop dock :p
there is a normal dock too.

moreover, it is convenient to have all the required info/data at one place while on the move for corporates.

not that im ever going to use the feature for this purpose.

and yes, it is becoming some what a standard in tegra2/A9 and intel Moorestown based smartphones, most are already incorporating a webtop sort of implementation.

muzux2 said:
Samsung Galaxy S II has better specs (except geforce gpu) than Atrix.. :)
Preorder in UK was around GBP650. You only wonder about retail pricing in india :p

-Sent by my Personal Assistant; Pardon her for typos if any. She just wants to Captivate! :p:)

madnav said:
Preorder in UK was around GBP650. You only wonder about retail pricing in india :p

-Sent by my Personal Assistant; Pardon her for typos if any. She just wants to Captivate! :p:)
UK has a very high VAT % of 17.5% IINM. Prices in India are usually on par or slightly cheaper than rest of Europe IINM. I guess preorder prices would be 35k in India.

madnav said:

Prices in europe are always high in comparison to US because of high taxes and other factors. I'm sure the actual price will be low once it become widely available on shelves. Im expecting it to be priced between 35-40k in india.. :eek:hyeah:

comp@ddict said:
GPU for Samsung is a quad-core
it will come in two variants..

one with Tegra2 and other with Exynos 4210

The launch of wither would be region dependent/specific.

Hope they do not differ in radio specs, leaving customers choice to have what they prefer.

muzux2 said:
Samsung Galaxy S II has better specs (except geforce gpu) than Atrix.. :)

Galaxy S II is better at,
1) Camera (8meg compared to Atrix's 5meg, secondary cam is 2meg vs Atrix's VGA)
2) Screen Size (4.3" vs Atrix's 4.0")
3) 'Android 2.3 Gingerbread' Out of the box (Atrix to get 2.3 soon; but when?)

Atrix is better at,
1) Screen Resolution (960 x 540 pixels vs Galaxy S II's 800 x 480 pixels)
2) HDMI Port (Null in Galaxy S II)
3) Dock for direct link to HDTV, PC + Notebook Dock
4) Battery (1930mAh vs Galaxy S II's 1650 mAh; my Optimus One has 1500mAh)

Tie at,
1) Screen Type (Atrix's qHD vs Super AMOLED Plus)
2) Galaxy S II - Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset vs Atrix - Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset

But the truth is, it cannot be said that either of the phone is better than the other as of now ..... there's no way! This is going to be a tough battle.

I love Gadgets & thus I do not have any favourite between the two. The best device may win :)

aercy said:

Atrix is better at,

Tie at,

2) Galaxy S II - Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset vs Atrix - Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset

But the truth is, it cannot be said that either of the phone is better than the other as of now ..... there's no way! This is going to be a tough battle.

I love Gadgets & thus I do not have any favourite between the two. The best device may win :)
nice showdown but you missed one point

Moto's encrypted bootloader Vs Samsung's slow updates

:p

I am following updates on the bootloader and have a hunch that moto will unlock it for good.

well atleast as a move to show capability of building next device in the nexus series..

LG Optimus 2X could have easily competed with these two if it had 1GB Ram instead of 512MB Ram, a better screen than TFT & a higher Battery than 1500mAh. But somehow for that very reason it will be priced much lower than these two despite of having Tegra 2, 8mp Cam, 4.0" screen, HDMI port.

aercy said:

Atrix is better at,

Tie at,

You missed 3G (HSDPA) Speeds.
Galaxy S II - 22 Mbps
Atrix - 14 Mbps :bleh:

muzux2 said:
You missed 3G (HSDPA) Speeds.

Galaxy S II - 22 Mbps

Atrix - 14 Mbps :bleh:
And you missed non existent 4G on atrix :bleh:

Although moto n atnt are claiming that it only requires a capable sim to unlock speeds.

The 4G thing is irrelevant here in India .... they have spent show much for 3G that 4G will not be here for the next 2 years. As for 21mbps 3G, you gotto wait a long time before actually getting that speed service here. Forget that speed, how many of us gonna use anything around 8mbps?

madnav said:
And you missed non existent 4G on atrix :bleh:

Although moto n atnt are claiming that it only requires a capable sim to unlock speeds.

What if 4G comes out a marketing phrase? :bleh:
aercy said:
The 4G thing is irrelevant here in India .... they have spent show much for 3G that 4G will not be here for the next 2 years. As for 21mbps 3G, you gotto wait a long time before actually getting that speed service here. Forget that speed, how many of us gonna use anything around 8mbps?
Private Players are already offering speeds upto 28 Mbps.. :)

See here, ggt got 1.2Mbps on 10 Mbps supported 3G phone. He could have got > 2.5 Mbps if he had a 3G device with > 20 Mbps support speeds. :)

Back