Motorola ATRIX ... What a device!!!

After stressing the atrix with all the benchmarks, i still fail to understand why samsung needs higher clocks to run its interface in the galaxy II, that too after considering the fact that the samsung has lesser pixels to push compared to the atrix.

As for battery life, there is no reason to complain after the recent update. Eagerly waiting to see what this powerbrick can do with an unlocked bootloader:D

Pat said:
How do they have custom ROMs for Atrix if the bootloader is not already unlocked/cracked?
the encrypted bootloader does not allow loading of custom kernels. the ROm that are available now are with the stock kernel.

The method of loading custom kernels on an encrypted bootloader is via '2nd init' ..which has been the case with Moto Defy and SE Xperia X10 so far.

but the same has not been ported for atrix as of yet; dont really know if it is possible due to nvflash.

In short, the custom kernels such as in Cynogenmod, MIUI ROM, etc can not be had unless the encryption is cracked.

Moto is being flamed unnecessarily for encrypted bootloaders.

All manufacturers lock their bootloaders except for the Google Experience Devices.

It is just that Most of these manufacturers do not have strong crypto base.

Moto and then Sony are at top, HTCs being easiest to crack..bootloaders on Inspire, Desire S, Incredible S are encrypted but you can see how easily and quickly the Inspire's bootloader encryption was cracked.

@madnav.....

Seems like you are using atrix...What's your experience with it? How and where did you buy it from..? I thinking of buying it from ebay.com and use aramex to ship it to India..

Need your suggestions on this..I have been waiting for it to be released here in India...cant wait anymore....I like Motorola's build and call quality...

surya_neo said:
@madnav.....

Seems like you are using atrix...What's your experience with it? How and where did you buy it from..? I thinking of buying it from ebay.com and use aramex to ship it to India..

Need your suggestions on this..I have been waiting for it to be released here in India...cant wait anymore....I like Motorola's build and call quality...
you can purchase over ebay and get via aramex..preferred way.

No, you wont get it in india, moto is not launching it in india, however Droid X2 will be launched.

Im satisfied with atrix except for the display which is just not as good as amoled in terms of colour reproduction, viewing angles. Visibility under sunlight as well as power consumption is exceptionally low for this display.

Colour preproduction is still good but using amoled spoils you :(

as for processing power, it is faster than any other phone i have used so far. It is still on froyo and i was using blur uptill today. I just flashed GingerBlur pseudo ROM over stock and updated FW.

Battery backup is what i would like to praise the device for and my frame of reference are spica, blade, captivate and vibrant.

in terms of battery backup

Vibrant, captivate and spica lasted me for almost the same amount of time and usage.

Blade lasted me a little longer.

Atrix lasts me twice as long as sgs series and spica.

Speaker phone is excellent. GPS is god like, locks in less than 10sec and with accuracy of few meters. Samsung is very bad with GPS so i would advice sgs2 interested members to consider that before making a decision. I myself have been anticipating to purchase sgs2 but i will 1st check it out locally when it arrives. No idea about other aspects but i surely will miss the battery backup if i ever switch.

As for build quality, moto has a much better build quality i must say.

The battery door is made to cover the corners and incase it falls, you only end up damaging the battery door. One can replace a battery door for much cheaper than the chassis.

overall, i give it a thumbs up. but that is because im yet to try my hands on sgs2 and sensation.

well you will have to do with this mini review for now :p

PS: For sensation lovers....HTC is planning to launch a device shortly with nfc and it only means that sensation wont be their flagship phone for any amount of time.

PPS: For those wondering why Moto is still unable to release Gb update for Their flagship device Atrix.

I think it is more to do with the Webtop integration which makes the development further complicated and delays are expected. Wish they could just update both independently

@madnav...

Thanks man..for the mini review...SGS2 is too expensive...I can live without AMOLED...I would prefer performance to the display..

I am still trying to figure out how to use my paypal(verified) with ebay.com...where sellers want the address to be verified with paypal...Is it like I just the change my primary address in ebay to aramex address when I am about to make the purchase and use my verified paypal account for payment...will that work?

PS: How is the stability of the phone after you flashed with pseudo rom..

surya_neo said:
@madnav...

Thanks man..for the mini review...SGS2 is too expensive...I can live without AMOLED...I would prefer performance to the display..

I am still trying to figure out how to use my paypal(verified) with ebay.com...where sellers want the address to be verified with paypal...Is it like I just the change my primary address in ebay to aramex address when I am about to make the purchase and use my verified paypal account for payment...will that work?

PS: How is the stability of the phone after you flashed with pseudo rom..
a correction.

the blur is not removed.. just the social apps are removed.

this pROM just installs about rooted and updated atrix. no user apps, data or settings are lost.

so far, loving it; since i dont use their social app anyways.

Although moto's blur integration is good imo for managing multiple accounts.. Linking accounts from various social profiles becomes very easy.

You also get latest social feed of these contacts when you try to call them...pretty much like HTC Sense.

as for stability. There have been random reboots in the past but it turned out to be specific apps which made the phone reboot. the phone and resolution being new on the platter, we can expect better stability in future.

Can somebody help me and suggest me on making payment to ebay.com with paypal and using aramex address..I know many of our TE members have bought mobiles from ebay.com using aramex...common guys..ur help is required...

surya_neo said:
Can somebody help me and suggest me on making payment to ebay.com with paypal and using aramex address..I know many of our TE members have bought mobiles from ebay.com using aramex...common guys..ur help is required...
just make it your primary address on ebay n pay...

madnav said:
Boatloader unlock along with gb update is on it's way... well..maybe a little late but moto finally agrees to free all droids made in 2011 and hence forth.. :hap2:
ANy idea of defy's boot loader being unlocked?

hahahari said:
ANy idea of defy's boot loader being unlocked?
the bootloader on defy is already bypassed by 2nd init method.

although the next leaked 2.3.x based kernel is not allowing the bypass and needs to be worked on again, afaik from what i read about a week ago.

Defy was released in 2010 and moto clearly states that it will provide bootloader solution to devices launched in 2011 and onwards...that is if carriers allow. So don't count on it.

Defy already has a good amount of dev going on for it and that is really good for a locked device..

Motorola didnt promise the unlocked bootloader for existing phones did they?

Its for upcoming phone IIRC that too at the mercy of operators. Atrix I am afraid will be stuck where it is.

Either way, by the time it comes, ATRIX would have faded away.

Also removing motoblur is impossible unless bootloader is unlocked as motoblur integration is very tight and to the core of Atrix. But I dont get why people hate the Motoblur so much. You can always NOT use the cartoonish looking widgets that motorola provides. Other than that, its not intolerable. The problem this creates is that it hampers other launchers at the moment for some reason. Any other launchers are not smooth on Atrix.

To be honest, its brilliant phone for the price you pay these days.

You can have it for less than or about $400 (Many Bell unbranded ones are now available with all Android features enabled right out of box unlike ATT versions ). And frankly, its better phone than Optimus 2X. O2X might have better camera, but it is not upto the mark when it comes to overall package. Atrix has relatively less issues compared to Optimus 2X at the moment. (Virtually no glaring issues). Optimus 2X somehow has some critical quality control issues. The two devices I handled, both had some issues related to Display and reboots.

Overall, if you can live without custom roms, Atrix is best bang for the buck Tegra device out there.

I am just waiting on a final version of CM7 by Quarx, that should suffice for me :D.... One thing going for Moto is its call quality and build. Always flawless. I dont understand why HTC cant be the same. Samsung is pretty good wit Hardware but again their software sucks b@@ls

Shripad said:
Motorola didnt promise the unlocked bootloader for existing phones did they?

Its for upcoming phone IIRC that too at the mercy of operators. Atrix I am afraid will be stuck where it is.

Either way, by the time it comes, ATRIX would have faded away.

Also removing motoblur is impossible unless bootloader is unlocked as motoblur integration is very tight and to the core of Atrix. But I dont get why people hate the Motoblur so much. You can always NOT use the cartoonish looking widgets that motorola provides. Other than that, its not intolerable. The problem this creates is that it hampers other launchers at the moment for some reason. Any other launchers are not smooth on Atrix.

To be honest, its brilliant phone for the price you pay these days.

You can have it for less than or about $400 (Many Bell unbranded ones are now available with all Android features enabled right out of box unlike ATT versions ). And frankly, its better phone than Optimus 2X. O2X might have better camera, but it is not upto the mark when it comes to overall package. Atrix has relatively less issues compared to Optimus 2X at the moment. (Virtually no glaring issues). Optimus 2X somehow has some critical quality control issues. The two devices I handled, both had some issues related to Display and reboots.

Overall, if you can live without custom roms, Atrix is best bang for the buck Tegra device out there.
atrix wont be stuck with locked one imo.

Moto's response was to provide unlockable/relockable solution for devices launched in 2011 and the response was generated as a result of ongoing online petition against moto with atrix... well, atleast i would like to believe so :p

Also, moto may not want to mess with their customers by excluding a flagship model from that plan.

and moto is not becoming consumer friendly by committing to provide faster updates. They surely have been faster than samsung so far in that regards :ashamed:

I hope moto accepts and welcomes devs by providing an unlocking solution asap.

regarding g2x

could you please describe the display quality ?

madnav said:
atrix wont be stuck with locked one imo.

Moto's response was to provide unlockable/relockable solution for devices launched in 2011 and the response was generated as a result of ongoing online petition against moto with atrix... well, atleast i would like to believe so :p

Also, moto may not want to mess with their customers by excluding a flagship model from that plan.

and moto is not becoming consumer friendly by committing to provide faster updates. They surely have been faster than samsung so far in that regards :ashamed:

I hope moto accepts and welcomes devs by providing an unlocking solution asap.

regarding g2x

could you please describe the display quality ?
Actually Samsung has been way ahead of everybody when it comes to updates this year. Only devices lacking updates are carrier locked ones. SGS received gingerbread before HTC's flagship did this year.

Anyway about Optimus 2 X.

Both the devices which my friends bought have display bleeding from right and left side of the screen. One phone has soo much bleed that you can see colour shifts when showing even non black colours (its worse when you see all black screen. ).

Red and green colours both show shift towards yellow on the corners. Both phones have this issue to some extent with one being intolerable.

LG refused the RMA on one unit and agreed to replace other but yet to receive replacement phone.

Both phones were bought last week with official LG India warranty. Both have this issue. Its absolutely unacceptable when they refused to replace the piece the same day it was bought (we noticed it the same day in the evening when it got little dark and we were having a coffee at CCD. Took the phone back immediately to the store which refused to replace it and LG service center took both phones and gave one back next day saying nothing is wrong with it and accepted other for RMA (2-3 weeks waiting according to them ).

They are now fighting with LG regarding other phone.

Shripad said:
Actually Samsung has been way ahead of everybody when it comes to updates this year. Only devices lacking updates are carrier locked ones. SGS received gingerbread before HTC's flagship did this year.

Anyway about Optimus 2 X.

Both the devices which my friends bought have display bleeding from right and left side of the screen. One phone has soo much bleed that you can see colour shifts when showing even non black colours (its worse when you see all black screen. ).

Red and green colours both show shift towards yellow on the corners. Both phones have this issue to some extent with one being intolerable.

LG refused the RMA on one unit and agreed to replace other but yet to receive replacement phone.

Both phones were bought last week with official LG India warranty. Both have this issue. Its absolutely unacceptable when they refused to replace the piece the same day it was bought (we noticed it the same day in the evening when it got little dark and we were having a coffee at CCD. Took the phone back immediately to the store which refused to replace it and LG service center took both phones and gave one back next day saying nothing is wrong with it and accepted other for RMA (2-3 weeks waiting according to them ).

They are now fighting with LG regarding other phone.
that is a bummer..

wasn't the IPS panel supposed to have a better Colour Reproduction?

or is LG dumping a mediocre panel on indian devices?

madnav said:
that is a bummer..

wasn't the IPS panel supposed to have a better Colour Reproduction?

or is LG dumping a mediocre panel on indian devices?
I dont think the problem is with actual LCD panel.

Problem lies with finish. The back light bleeds through edges and I dont know if its the colour of adhesive used or what, it comes out as yellow colour leak form the side. This gets mixed with other colours and gives it yellowish tint at the corners and edges.

Back