MTNL Launches Unlimited 3G Data Plan for Rs. 750 in Mumbai

raksrules said:
This is excellent news. Best part is roaming is free so we can use the cards on BSNL Network.
Fook Failtel, Fook Docomo, Fook Aircel, Fook Vodafone, Fook everyone...especially Airtel.
@Gannu/@Varkey
You guys should now consider this option :)
does any 1 successfully using it on bsnl network & that without roaming.

and if we want it how to get it, pm if needed

^ give us some idea of the kind of speeds you're getting... I just purchased the sim, and looking to get the 6 month voucher...

Also, anyone used it on roaming yet?

A noob question... does it matter if I use my phone instead of a dedicated usb modem? will there be any speed difference? My phone supports HSDPA 3.6 Mbps

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also, if I ask someone from mumbai to topup my connection with the 2500 voucher (2 months), will that mean that I'll end up saving 500 bucks? :p (in delhi, that voucher is for 3k)

rite said:
Yup, I have :)

Don't expect decent speeds tho. The slowest amongst all 3g providers is what you should expect!
What speed are you getting? i am planning to invest Modem + 4500 recharge... It is wise to invest if atleast the speed more than 1 mbps.. Let me know

Avg around 1 Mbps. At times 1.2-1.5 Mbps avg. At times just 0.2-0.5 Mbps. Avg is barely 1 Mbps. If you are buying for downloads, then:

1. There are occasional disconnections. So leaving it overnight and expecting it to be connected in the morning won't do.

2. Expect to download about 350-400 Mb in an hour, and at times when it is fast then 600-800 Mb max. But there are times when it doesn't even do 200 Mb.

rite said:
Avg around 1 Mbps. At times 1.2-1.5 Mbps avg. At times just 0.2-0.5 Mbps. Avg is barely 1 Mbps. If you are buying for downloads, then:

1. There are occasional disconnections. So leaving it overnight and expecting it to be connected in the morning won't do.

2. Expect to download about 350-400 Mb in an hour, and at times when it is fast then 600-800 Mb max. But there are times when it doesn't even do 200 Mb.
Thanks for the update.. getting an mtnl sim tmw + umg 1831 datacard.. will try it for a week or so before recharging it with 4.5k connection..

Any idea whether we need to activate HSDPA or does it come activated along with the new SIM Kit ?

I am planning to get MTNL sim today ... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Was just going through the MTNL website and it seems that 3G is capped at 2Mbps, whereas HSDPA is upto 3.6Mbps. 3G comes preactivated with a new sim, whereas

if you want HSDPA you have to pay a one time activation charge of Rs449

I didn't go any of that and at times do get > 2 Mbps, though most of the times it is less than 1.5 Mbps. However, at times it has even exceeded 3 Mbps.

What a day.. went to MTNL CC with the all the documents.. the CC person said i should be a permanent resident to get the SIM :O

I demanded to speak with the manager and seems he is in meeting the whole day.. WTH... Do government players always like this ?

^^ Thats common allover. You need a local address proof (Govt bank Statement, Electricity /MTNL bill in your name)...if you dont have one....rental agreement also does the job.

Supra said:
^^ Thats common allover. You need a local address proof (Govt bank Statement, Electricity /MTNL bill in your name)...if you dont have one....rental agreement also does the job.
forget to mention in the above post... I do have rental agreement along with me.. Still the CC refuse to provide one and asked me to meet the manager but only tmw as he is in meeting..grrr .. Will go and meet the manager tmw for this.. Hope i will get one..

I also said, no need to activate today and once the manager approves they can activate... She promptly replied that once activated, it cannot be deactivated ..lol :O

Nolasco said:
Was just going through the MTNL website and it seems that 3G is capped at 2Mbps, whereas HSDPA is upto 3.6Mbps. 3G comes preactivated with a new sim, whereas
if you want HSDPA you have to pay a one time activation charge of Rs449
not required i get upto 3mbps without those activation charges.
also raksrules had used it in mumbai and did not pay any activation charges for 3G:eek:hyeah:

What you experienced is common for govt companies. Things are significantly better in the private hemisphere with players like Airtel and Reliance (though the private ones are far from perfect as well).

Got my modem UMG 1831 and tested it with Vodafone 3G.. check the speed below

1309733959.png

Awaiting to get a sim from MTNL.. Hope i will get through ...

Back