Mumbai vs New Orleans. Now which is the third world country??

LOL was wondering, what took you so long.

I agree with you upto the point of our reactions to a catastrophe the size of Katrina. We havent dealt with anything like that so we cannot judge our reactions to that.

Regarding the Mumbai rains, true it was hard rain but it wasnt a catastrophe, 70% of the population hadnt lost their home et all.

Morals? what man made morals and ethics? the ones they teach you at school and things your mom and dad tell you?...is that what we should live by? a construct of man made laws where we have to follow what others say, instead of living it how we want? Have'nt you heard? True freedom is not freedom from prejudice but the RIGHT to BE prejudice...the day that I can walk into a office and say WTF? your muslim? Get out! and the government does nothing I will acknowledge we have progress

That my friend is anarchy, one of the reasons we evolved... Co-operation is the key to civilization. If you dont agree to that fine by you, the fact is you cannot go away from that.

The bottom line is a developed country like US can also become un-organised raises hope for patroitism in us Indians is pathetic. Be proud of the country when its worth being proud of, be proud of the country when people instead of wasting money in the name on god, utilize it to uplift the impoverished. Be proud of the country, when instead of just crticizing the politians, we vote for a change. Be proud of the country, when you actually have any space to be proud of.

I was wondering when DS wud show up.

I agree that Katria was much worse than the mumbai rains, but the response was pathetic.

Ask the mayor Mr Nagin who said that the response was slow either due to class or color.

Nice.

That is why I said now the americans will perhaps show a little more empathy. Sad but true. People only feel when it happens to them.... I wish it weren't so.

As for calamity equal to Katrina, well we have had earthquakes and floods galore OK?

This off the top of my head alright .....

While the relief efforts were afoot during the tsunami crisis, the Indian High Commissioner to UK appeared on Hard Talk(??) on BBC. He was asked why was it India chose to send a fleet to help out Indonesia and its neighbors when India was itself trying to cope with the crisis and when the per capita income (this I personally thought wasn't very appropriate) of India was less than that of Indonesia ? IIRC, there was some diplomatically evasive answer from the HC. The host(ess) didn't leave it at that and went further to ask if it was because India wants to project a stronger image in the Int'l arena now that it is angling for a seat at the UN council ? Hmmmm.....

India IS a third world country,...rain and a typhgoon are very different things...I would like to see this "India" with her response once something with the force and power of Katrine hits it...perhaps a tsunami...yeah that should give an idea about what India is like
Dude whatever hit our east coast on Dec 26th 2004...what the hell was it?? It was a Tsunami if u didnt know wat it was...

Maybe our "3rd world" country doesnt have all the resources in the world and we may be slow to respond when disasters occur...but that doesnt make us any less of a people...
Talk to me when the people of Mumbai don't have houses to go home to and relax...talk to me when food is precious ...not shelter...

Your ignorance and blinded patriotism is one of absolute immaturity, you need to be reasonable before judging a city and a crisis you have'nt even been to

Why talk abt Mumbai?? What abt the earthquakes in Latur n Bhuj...whatever happened to those ppl? Didnt they loose everything they ever had...they even lost their most precious belongings...their own families...didnt that hurt?
What abt the Tsunami? You talk as if these ppl didnt suffer a bit....
and if you want to talk abt Mumbai...its the most resiliant city in the country(dont get the Mumbaikars started on that)
Morals? what man made morals and ethics? the ones they teach you at school and things your mom and dad tell you?...is that what we should live by? a construct of man made laws where we have to follow what others say, instead of living it how we want? Have'nt you heard? True freedom is not freedom from prejudice but the RIGHT to BE prejudice...the day that I can walk into a office and say WTF? your muslim? Get out! and the government does nothing I will acknowledge we have progress

Please mods edit the racist remark mentioned above!!! :mad: :mad:
We are a society with tolerance n respect for every person at its core..So just dont go about shooting watever comes to your mind...
Think before watever you say.....

Forget comparisons between Mumbai n New Orleans...the scale of the disaster doesnt matter...but what matters is that lives were lost in both cities and how we coped with the fury of nature...

I dont wanna talk abt what happened in New Orleans coz i wasnt there... but yes in Mumbai i was...and i am proud to say that there was so much compasion seen everywhere...maybe the administration didnt work the way it was supposed to but the common man on the road rose to the occasion helping people they didnt know..it didnt matter who the person in need was where they had come from...the mere fact that he/she was another human being was reason enough to help..and this is 'Human Spirit'...

And if you cant feel proud if your own countrymen show compassion towards each other...oh yes then you are a Born Looser!!
The US Army will kick the Indian Armys ass in a conventional scenario probably a Nuclear one as well that aside , think of it this way...peoiple have individual opinions and do what they wish, countries are no different.

Maybe in a conventional scenario the Americans will have an upper hand...
But do the Americans have good enuf experience in counter-insurgency scenarios? How good are they at mountain war-fare? How well do they handle terrorism? Please dont make stupid n irrelevant comparisions...

So if you arent proud of your own country...please dont laugh at others who feel proud be Indians!

Decadent_Spectre said:
Being proud of something just because you belong to it is a really old psychological behaviour that goes deep within the regions of the very reason humans strive to achieve and live.
200% agree, patriotism and religion are such bogus things ground into our minds.
It's ridiculous to think what ultimately decides all this is something as trivial as 'luck'.

btw, Everybody loots given the oppurtunity and the definite chance to get aay with it, noone is a saint.
That's one of the reasons why entrapment is illegal.

During the riots here in gujarat, grown up women from well-to-do families were looting the pantaloons store rotflol.
What a joke that was, they were actually looting in groups!
One group went in and started looting while the other group stood outside and started shouting or pelting stones as soon as they felt the looting group had had enough time to grab free stuff and it was time to change groups.

it didn't even hit the cost some island so far offshore is hardly notable...talk to me when a tsunami hits chennai and THEN we shall see the "Indian Army" respond
aargh...what makes u think the andaman & Nicobars are any less a part of india then the place u belong to...and BTW TN bore quite a solid brunt.....ask th epeople whose kith & kin lost their lives in Nagapattinam or the marina in chennai for that matter....
anyway, this is just a rhetorical fight ...
what it boils down to is that there are several maladies that affect us.....there are many issues that we gotta rise up & fight against, and these shortcomings though may give any fellow Indian to crib (even if he/she) is not willing to do anythng about them, it does not give them the right to laugh off the others who feel justifiably proud abt their homeland, warts & all!

hey guys i don't want to get into this endless disscusion but i want to tell something ...... ask anyone in india....

Who are u ???

and the answer will be hindu, muslim or any other religion ....

as the same question to someone in USA ....

he will answer that he is an american

not a big thing but this tell about the mentality .... unless and untill we are not living in india as indian, we are not gonna do anything for the country but we will do all for us ....

During the riots here in gujarat, grown up women from well-to-do families were looting the pantaloons store rotflol.

What a joke that was, they were actually looting in groups!

One group went in and started looting while the other group stood outside and started shouting or pelting stones as soon as they felt the looting group had had enough time to grab free stuff and it was time to change groups.

What re Saumil ? What did you loot ;)

APart from that I agree with him. I am not ashamed to be an Indian but at the same time lets be realstic....

Mumbai or New orleans.. the bottom line is that the common man rose to the occasion to help fellow human beings in wake of a natural calamity. its not about being indian or american ..but about being humane... about being compassionate for fellow human beings and help them out..

What failed in mumbai and NO was the goverment machinery to tackle the situation..

it again got flooded in mumbai yesterday and again services were disrupted .. people were panicky and there were traffic jams everywhere. if 944 happens again any time soon .. god knows what difference would be between NO and mumbai then.. ? :S..

there is a limit to which people can tolerate gov apathy and it comes out in the open during such disasters and calamities.. hope though it doesnt happen here .. not now .. not ever..

Decadent_Spectre said:
To the poster of the topic and all people who agree with him/her - You sir, are a moron.

agree....these kinda topics are endless...and status quo is better than fighting uselessly :eek:hyeah:

Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre

Finally a topic to take to heart...perchance to fight

To the poster of the topic and all people who agree with him/her - You sir, are a moron.

Nice Post Spectre.

And to all those who are saying taht there was no looting, remember the Bombay blasts back in 93 , there were many cases of looting back then. Nothing like that happend in the rains because people did not get the chance.

People were hungry only for few hours or one day in bbay not like a whole week.

OMG!!!

This has become a full fledged war between people who do not deserve being called Indians and beinf part of this country and people who are proud to be called Indians in spite all our drawbacks.

There are definitely times when I feel sad to be Indian. Refer to the two threads I started ----
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/c...d-frustration-5304.html?highlight=Frustration

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/we-common-citizens-india-can-do-5462.html?highlight=Common

And other times when I feel proud to be Indian. And abt the US army defeating India in war---- Remember 1942?? Germany was faaaar superior to the USSR. They almost had the whole of the USSR under it's control.

but Russia had numbers. People were ready to fight for their country. The HUUUUGE population of USSR made it possible for USSR to take it's losses in it's stride. The German Army was faaar superior when it came to technology. But it still lost.

Same goes in this case. We have large numbers of peopl and if it comes to all out war(god forbid that happens), the US will find India a much harder enemy than some puppet state of Iraw or Afghanistan. Both countries had almost no Air Force to speak of. They were beaten into submission by constant air raids on their cities and areas. Can you imagine the same thing happening in India?? I dont think so.

Next time, think before posting such crap. Comparing a war between Iraq/Afghanistan and the US and India and the US is total BULL$#!t.

And yes, I agree that the mumbai rains cannot be compared to Katrina. But think abt it..... did you see widespread looting, rapes, crimes during the bigger disasters?? the Bhuj Earthquake, the Tsunami.

Agreed, there would have been criminal activities on a small scale but nothing on such a lrge scale where the whole goddamn city was being patrolled by armed gangs and gang wars had broken out.

OMG!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

God forbid you become an MP or something... the whole country may as well detonate a nuke on itself. Are you out of your mind or what??

This has to be the most ridiculous comment on te. SHAME ON YOU !!! :( :( :( :cry: :cry:

Aces170 said:
I am not ashamed to be an Indian but at the same time lets be realstic....
Cannot agree more.

Decadent_Spectre said:
Well no offense to anyone but I agree to this too. :bleh:

Why do some many of you just want to critise India?? just for the heck of it or because u have nothing else to do? What dont you get in this country? What cant this country provide for u?

Why cant u realise ....that even though we as a country may have our short comings...maybe we dont have all the resources...maybe our politicans are corrupt...maybe our infrastructure isnt the best....

But we have respect...tolerance....sympathy... and many other things that make us proud...
Besides nothing is this world is perfect!

So if some1 feels ashamed of his own country and countrymen....i cant help but laugh at that person....rather i think we shld feel sorry for such ppl coz they are born in the wrong country...perhaps if they were born in the western world they would have been happy.....

Nope.... these sort of people will never be happy anywhere in the world. They will alwyas find something or the other to criticise

Back