Narayana Murthy says Indian youth should work 70 hours a week

Do you agree with his statement

• Yes

• No

• Don't give a shit

Results are only viewable after voting.
1698768888836.png

Another one
If only he got a rupee every time media mentioned his name, his company would have been profitable by now.

I think different people have different meaning from what Murthy said.
To me it sounds the the age old grumpy old man speak - Today's youth doesn't want to work hard. They should spend X number of hours if they want to succeed.
That is also paraded along with see I works for X+4-5 hrs. (which is basically equivalent to "I have a black friend so I can't be racist logic).
This logic is sometimes used by "genius" CEO like Musk.

Sure there is some authority bias here and he is founder Emertius of a company but I don't really don't give a shit. He is an old man and he will spout some nonsense. Better to ignore him.

He wants what will make him the most money, I want what will make me the most money, which is not working 70hrs a week. For these capitalists it's all about me me me until it's about getting the people to sacrifice, then suddenly it's 'us' and 'our country'. So many of these startups are registered in Singapore and other offshore locations just for tax evasion purposes.

He and his wife are pushing the agenda from quite some time. She said a few months ago that a fresher should live simple life like her, thus don't need more money and he should get paid no more than 24k. Which backfired at that time.

3 year ago Narayan Murthy suggested people should work for 60 hours and now he is suggesting 70 hours. How has his perception changed in just 3 years?

Combined these both and you will get the idea. They want to pay as little as they can to their employees and want them to work for longer hours. This is as straight as it can be. They are looking out for shareholders interest and has nothing to do with their own working style.

If they are really concerned about growth of country then why not pay more salary for increased hours. I am sure majority of employees will agree with 20-25% pay increase for 15-20% extra hours.

IT CEOs salary has increased 20-100x in last 10 years but fresher's salary increased ~50%. If we account for inflation, their salary reduced.

Last edited:
They are looking out for shareholders interest and has nothing to do with their own working style.
I'm sure he gets paid in shares as bonus or perks so he is looking out for himself. Wife probably wants more gold ornaments during Diwali so she is making such demands.

I'm sure he gets paid in shares as bonus or perks so he is looking out for himself. Wife probably wants more gold ornaments during Diwali so she is making such demands.
I think it's not that simple, the Murthy couple genuinely believe they are donating pearls of wisdom to people when they say things like this. And so far they have been held up on pedestal so we can't deny their egos have been boosted to the sky.

They are not the only such people. There has been an epidemic of hustle and grind culture across the internet. Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is also another guy who keeps posting motivational stuff about hard work.

Survival Bias is hell of a thing. We only know about people who succeeded. We'll probably never know about people who put in as much work but still failed. So we should take lessons about hard work from successful people with a grain of salt.

The best thing these people can do is realize their success is not just hard work but opportunities and luck is also a factor.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." - Star Trek

Back