Need advice regarding Term insurance

i haven't collected the policy document yet, so can't post the exact details but the name of the policy on premium receipt reads: "LIC's New Money Back Plan - 20 years (With Profits)"

and i am sorry, i goofed up on the premium part. :flushed: 12K was for some other policy... i have 7 in total. LIC policies are known to be quite costly. and i felt little odd when i mentioned earlier that 12K quarterly premiums for 15 years would get me 24lacs after 20 years. this policy pays back some amount every 5th year. i have another older one which pays every 3rd year. and rest of the policies will pay the amount at the end of the endowment period.

I am trying to help, i don't have any benefit by proving some one wrong . but certainly i may help you understand whether some one is taking away your hard earned money :)

I am trying to help
actually i bought the policies even after knowing that i'd be making money for my agent/LIC but my focus is not only on the "returns". it's just that i'll get some money if i don't die. my family will get a lot more than i saved/invested when i die. term insurance is good for my family and not for me, but i have it nonetheless.

i've invested in other avenues for returns.

so far, LIC is working for me as it's very difficult for me to keep a *healthy bank balance. i don't want to die with a minimum bank balance for my family. also, after my death, it may be difficult for my family to get back the money i saved/invested in bonds, shares, RDs, FDs and savings accounts.

i don't know what percentage but my LIC agent shares a portion of his commission with me. a lot of people have bought policies from him. can't say if that's the reason behind his gesture towards me or he does that with everybody.

* i spend a lot. so, i try to keep my money locked away in all kinds of options.

actually i bought the policies even after knowing that i'd be making money for my agent/LIC but my focus is not only on the "returns". it's just that i'll get some money if i don't die. my family will get a lot more than i saved/invested when i die. term insurance is good for my family and not for me, but i have it nonetheless.
Ok i understand your primary concern is the insurance benefit rather than the returns , but what if you get the same insurance benefit with more returns ,
I am doing rough calculations for 10,00,000 sum assured, assuming you are thirty you will have to pay a premium of 77520 per year.
As per your plan ie "LIC's New Money Back Plan - 20 years (With Profits)" you will be getting 2 lakh on 5th year, 2 lakh on 10th year , 2 lakhs on 15 year and 5,40,000 or 9,80, 000 ( which is not very easy to happen ) at 20th year.
So your total benefit from money back is 11,40,000 ( 2+2+2+ 5.4 ) or if you are lucky 15,80,000 ( 2+2+2+9.8) or a life cover of 10,00,000.

If you go the FD + Term Insurance way ie by spending the same premium as above ie Rs 77520
for 10,00,000 life coverage the yearly premium for 20 years is Rs . 3020. Since you will be paying premium only for 15 years we will equate it to Rs 4026
rest of the amount ie (77520 - 4026) = 73429 this amount you invest it on FD or PPF at 8.5% per year so for 15 years. in completion of every five year take out 2lakh like the above plan and reinvest the rest of amount . At 20th year you will be having 16,87,000 savings .

Check what will be the total benefit amount you get, It will be 22,87,000 ( 2+2+ 2+16.87)

You will be getting around 11 Lakhs extra with same Life insurance coverage hope you got the point

Last edited:
^^ Thanks for these figures. I need to look into all of my investments in the same manner... Which is pending for so many years!

I have 3 types of insurance policies from LIC. If I let go of them, then I'll have to look for some disability or health insurance policies and I'll end up spending same or more money but with lesser benefits. These LIC policies are part of my risk planning as I am into IT services, with high exposure to job loss and accidents.

If I divert all the LIC premium money towards FD and term insurance then upon job loss because of any disease or disability, I am left with whatever money I would have locked in FDs and savings. My current set of policies are taking care of accidents, certain diseases and of course, death. FD + term will not provide me any risk coverage. Term policy will only be good for my family.

Thanks for your and other folks' inputs around this LIC business! I may cancel my latest policy. One of my moneyback policies (now discontinued) is maturing this year. I got 1lakh back every 3 years and rest of the money is expected at the end of 2015. I'll have to dig up the documents and do some calculations.

You have 7 LIC policies, which is bad to begin with. Secondly, unless they are include medical care, LIC only have accidental or death benefit. Yes, RD + Term would not cover health benefit. So, get a separate health insurance also. RD + Term + Health insurance will be great.

If I divert all the LIC premium money towards FD and term insurance then upon job loss because of any disease or disability, I am left with whatever money I would have locked in FDs and savings.
Isn't that worse with LIC? Atleast you can get your money back from RD/FD with little/no extra fee. However your money is locked in LIC. If you lose your job all of a sudden, you will not get money from LIC. But at least you can use the money of RD/FD.

How much term insurance ideally one should have? Also is it good idea to divide between two provides say 50 Lacs with LIC Eterm and another 50 with Private insurance provider?

8 times of gross annual income and outstanding liabilities is a thumb rule. It is ideal to divide it between two insurance companies.

Also is it good idea to divide between two provides say 50 Lacs with LIC Eterm and another 50 with Private insurance provider?
Yes, in fact it's better to split with 2 or max 3 providers.[DOUBLEPOST=1408800265][/DOUBLEPOST]
How much term insurance ideally one should have?
What's your yearly expense? And loans? Your kids education expenses Etc etc. Now multiply by 10 or 15 years. More the better.

@avi you are overlooking the basic benefit of insurance over savings or investments in the form of FDs/RDs.

Let me take an example of vehicle insurance. Suppose with the kind of money you earn, you are able to afford only a Maruti 800 and have 5 lacs in FD. You bang a Wagon R; your vehicle insurance takes care of the repairs of the other vehicle. You learn to be a good driver and an investor. You decide not to renew your insurance because you could've easily paid off the Wagon R guy with the money you had in FD or savings. So, you divert this insurance money towards FD/RD, which enables you to generate more money to take care of any exigencies. I guess you'll do fine in this situation until you bang a Rolls Royce. Digging into your savings/investments won't help you in this case, but a 3rd party insurance will get you through.

Driving without 3rd party insurance is illegal, so the above scenario may not happen with well informed people. It's upto you to buy insurance for your own vehicle as it's not mandatory. As long as you have 5 lacs in FD and driving a Maruti 800, you'll be fine without an insurance for your own vehicle. But if you want to drive a costly vehicle, buying insurance makes more sense when you are expecting repair costs in lakhs.

I had FDs and RDs long before I bought those LIC policies. These policies are going to take care of my medical expenses in the event of an accident so that I won't have to empty my lifetime savings.

Suppose I work as a security guard, earning 2K per month. After spending 50% on monthly expenses, I put 1K in an HDFC RD. After a year I would've Rs 12579.91 saved for the rainy day. 12K is too good for me in case of losing my job due to retrenchment or altercation with the boss. But this much money may not be enough if I am involved in an accident resulting in amputation of my leg.

On the other hand, putting 12K a year in insurance against accidents would entitle me for Rs 2Lacs aid. I can afford to buy a prosthetic limb and continue to earn regular income. Practically, I'll put 6K in insurance and the rest in FDs/RDs as I am a low wage earner.

Everyone calculates the wealth one can accumulate in 20 years by investing in RDs/FDs etc. But they ignore the size of coverage an insurance can provide in just a few years. I may get 10~20lacs lesser in the end but then I would have high probability of ensuring a steady stream of income, if I let my insurance take care of any unforeseeable accidents. If I turn towards RD/FD/Savings everytime I break my bones then I may not be 11lacs richer by the end of the 20th year (as per the figures provided here). Also, a few lakhs here and there won't matter much 20 years from now.

This whole insurance scenario is like a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. While working as a security guard and having an accident insurance, I can get Rs 2lacs when my survival is at stake. On the other hand, it'd take me around 10 years to save Rs 2lacs in HDFC's RD. Needless to say, I'd be more careful during these 10 years (no bungee jumping and para-sailing :p) but my lifetime savings would vanish in few days if I happen to lose a limb in the 11th year.

You have 7 LIC policies, which is bad to begin with. Secondly, unless they are include medical care, LIC only have accidental or death benefit.
I had 6 till last year. Their annuities are aligned with important milestones of my life. 1 payback policy was designed to take care of the premiums for other 5. As this payback policy is about to mature, I got another one. It'll be back to 6 next year. Also, I may surrender the newly bought policy after evaluating pros n cons of new LIC schemes. LIC discontinued a lot of good plans and the new ones aren't so lucrative.

Yes, RD + Term would not cover health benefit. So, get a separate health insurance also. RD + Term + Health insurance will be great.

Health cover provided by employers is generally sufficient these days. I'll have to look for my own in case my future employer doesn't provide health benefits.

Isn't that worse with LIC? Atleast you can get your money back from RD/FD with little/no extra fee. However your money is locked in LIC. If you lose your job all of a sudden, you will not get money from LIC. But at least you can use the money of RD/FD.

Just like with other savings instruments, one can take a loan from LIC policies but I may not take that route. I have RDs and FDs for unexpected expenses.

In case of a job loss due to non-health related issues, yes RD/FD/Savings/Equities would be my saviour. LIC policies are just a means to ensure my survival and help me get back on track. :D

Seriously consult someone trusted good at finance before making your future investments or some one will be having fun with your money. And never depend on employer provided health insurance only .

So after reading this thread LIC is totally no no...
One LIC agent is visiting my home quite a few times in past month...
After reading this thread I have same good questions that I have for him...

Guys,

Im going ahead with 1 Crore protection for myself via Sbi Eterm ( Approx 17k per year I have to pay) and 50 lacs for father(37k per year). Is that fine?

Guys,

Im going ahead with 1 Crore protection for myself via Sbi Eterm ( Approx 17k per year I have to pay) and 50 lacs for father(37k per year). Is that fine?

Do look at other providers too e.g. HDFC, Tata AIA, etc. If you are not dependent on your father's income, do not take a term policy for him. Ideally take term policies based on the income loss scenario i.e. if your family depends on your income, then you should have a term policy of a pro-rated amount.

Back