Budget 71-90K Need advise for components to build a new high end gaming and productivity system and need tips/guides for windows and bios optimisation.

Hi everyone,
I haven’t upgraded after 8700k and have been out of touch for a very long time in the PC building scene. Would appreciate your suggestions to help me select the right components that should be good for the next 4-5 years. I have done some research of my own but can’t do this without the opinion and help of all of you tech experts :)

I don’t plan to do any hardcore overclocking. Will be happy with XMP profile.
I game on a 24” 1080p IPS display and don’t wish to upgrade to 27”
Higher frames is priority over big screen.

So this is my current setup:
Cpu: i7 8700k

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 3080Ti founders edition (will keep GPU)

Monitor: View Sonic 24inch Vx2431 (will keep monitor)

Mobo: Asus TUF z370 pro

Ram: Gskill - 16gb F4-3200C14D-16GTZR DDR4 Ram

SSD: Samsung 850 pro and a 970 Evo plus M2

CPU cooler: Noctua NH D15S Cpu Cooler (thinking of using same cooler for new CPU)

What I intend to get for my new system:

CPU: Intel 13700K (don’t want AMD)

Mobo: Asus TUF Z790 or some other Asus board with DDR 5 support

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series (Intel
XMP) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6400 CL32-39-39-102 1.40V Dual Channel Desktop Memory

SSD: WD Black SN850X 2TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 Internal SSD WDS200T2X0E

CPU cooler: Is the Noctua NH D15S good enough for the Intel 13700k ? I have a Fractal design Define R5 silent cabinet.
Will be using the system in an air conditioned room.

Notes:
Also please share your thoughts on what are the essential software/utilities these days for hardware monitoring, tweaking etc. and kindly share some guides and suggestions on what optimisation settings I should do for windows and Bios. Or any other dos and don’ts. Not much of an over clocker so would prefer not to tinker around with overclocking settings. Need a stable and cool system.

And should I Install Windows 11 or Windows 10? Any benefit in fps gains on Windows 11?

Once I have all the parts ready, I will be then putting up a sale thread for my current system. Also please let me know how much value can I expect for my current system components.

You are good to go with the choices you have made.
HOWEVER do have a detailed look at this XMP video (as it clearly details XMP intricacies between DDR4 & 5 plus Intel 12th & 13th gen)
Or as posted here

Notes:
1. The Noctua NH-D15S is perfect for 13700K ....check as you may need an LGA1700 mount (I had ordered mine from theITDepot to use with Noctua NH-C14 for the 13700K)
- Problems I faced with Noctua NH-C14 (I had to disconnect the lower fan - as it interfered with my DDR5 G.Skill Kit RGB 16x4 6000 Mhz - HEIGHT ISSUES) - BUT it does the job of cooling 13700K perfectly.
- So Carefully Check and confirm if your G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series - will slot in perfectly on the Asus Z790 and with the Noctua NH D15S - HEIGHT CLEARANCE
2. You are shifting from DDR4 to DDR5 (with Z790) and have an 3060Ti - YES there will be performance Gains
3. Choosing RGB RAM will make sense only if it is really visible through the Fractal design Define R5 Cabinet and around the Noctua NH-D15s Cooler
4. Choice of Windows 10 or 11 - Well for the hardware you are upgrading into You Must Go for Windows 11 (I spend Rs 9000 in getting a licensed version of win pro) - as it will optimise your system to the best.
5. For Hardware Monitoring/Tweaking - You can chose a software approach or go for a Hardware Based thing (Like I am using NZXT Hue+ with an internal 7" LCD Display Monitor ..... there are many other Hardware based System Monitoring kits - You will need to check based on your Fractal design Define R5 - assembly of this kit)
6. Stick to Asus mobo - as it guarantees the best performance for XMP profiling

Lastly do note that enabling XMP will invalidate RMA on the system components - Specifically stated clearly by an ASUS Expert in the video at 59:20

This is a link to my build.

A pic attached
Reason I chose the Gigabyte Z790 UD AX over an Asus motherboard was that I specifically needed at least 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors - WHICH IS A BIG Problem with Z790 Boards as most come with only 4 SATA Connectors..... if you have a budget.

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_090244_188.jpg
    IMG_20230411_090244_188.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Why do you not want AMD? What's your usage?

For gaming, wait for a few weeks & get 7800X3D, an easy top choice with future upgradability. For productivity, 13700K can be considered good for raw multicore performance. The problem with 13700K is its power draw, basically 250W+ on full load which will require a 360mm AIO to keep it relatively cool IMO. Also with AMD, you can save money on mobo if you want as cheaper mobos have good enough VRM to handle even 7950X because of lower power draw.

Mobo - might be very expensive, but your mobo & RAM choice seems to be more for aesthetics, maybe. So your call. TUF is a good mobo VRM wise.

6400 CL32 seems good with Intel. For AMD, stick to 6000 CL30. Do not cross 6000MHz for AMD.

Hardware monitoring - HWInfo; Rivatuner for overlay along with HWinfo

OS - I prefer Win10 but Win11 is slowly fixing the things people complained about, so might get better with time. There were features missing on Win11 vs Win10 at launch, and many things required an extra step to do. So no wonder its initial reviews were bad coming from most power users. But for P+E core CPUs like 13700K, Win11 is indeed for the better thread scheduler. Shitty move by MS & Intel to give this to Win11. No such issue in AMD, unless you opt for 7900X2D or 7950X3D, I think.

13700K is a bit overkill for gaming, you can consider the 13600K as well, since both perform basically the same in gaming. Or you can consider the AMD Ryzen 9 7900 or the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. But if you're more comfortable with Intel, then the 13700K is still a great option.

NH D15 is a great cooler and will do well to cool the 13700K. You don't a need a 360mm AIO to cool the 13700k, as it basically works like Zen 4 (can operate at rated frequencies even about 90 C for long periods of time with a capable cooler). Besides, it's efficient as well, since you won't be using all cores in an everyday scenario, so power draw isn't a concern. You might have to add an undervolt though.
Keep height clearance for RAM in mind as well. You'll most likely have to end up running the D15S with only one fan with a bulky heatsink on the memory stick.
Consider this- Gskill ripjaws

Motherboard, ASUS TUF is fine. Gigabyte Z790 UD is a good option under 25k as well.

Last edited:
Go AMD 7800X3D or go home!
Stating it here because you ignore such messages on WhatsApp :p
Hahahahahaha. AMD fanboy scores a home run :smile:
I don’t ignore, I like to do a lot of research before buying and get opinion from as many people I can.
Different people face various different issues and it’s better to wait to get a bigger picture.

By the way thank you all who have shared their experiences and views on this topic.
Tell me something please, why does the xmp profile void warranty? Isn’t it like an obvious setting everyone does these days? And some RAM companies even market it as Intel XMP for their modules.
So are we in an era where even the basic overclocking will void warranty of our components? Does that hold true for GPU, CPU as well?
So should I just build a system and never touch XMP or any other overclocking settings even if it’s 16x2 DDR5 ram?

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha. AMD fanboy scores a home run :smile:
I don’t ignore, I like to do a lot of research before buying and get opinion from as many people I can.
Different people face various different issues and it’s better to wait to get a bigger picture.

By the way thank you all who have shared their experiences and views on this topic.
Tell me something please, why does the xmp profile void warranty? Isn’t it like an obvious setting everyone does these days? And some RAM companies even market it as Intel XMP for their modules.
So are we in an era where even the basic overclocking will void warranty of our components? Does that hold true for GPU, CPU as well?
So should I just build a system and never touch XMP or any other overclocking settings even if it’s 16x2 DDR5 ram?
OC voids warranty, but not so easy to prove that you have OC'd parts. You can always remove OC before RMA.

Almost everyone uses XMP. Few people OC or UV their CPU or/and GPU. On my old laptop, I UV'd both CPU & GPU, but still claimed warranty by removing the OC when I submitted it to service centre.

OP hasn't yet mentioned his typical usage scenario and his existing rig is still promising fr gaming. Seems he just wants to splurge around..

OP hasn't yet mentioned his typical usage scenario and his existing rig is still promising fr gaming. Seems he just wants to splurge around..
You could have asked or put this across a bit more politely. Anyway, my “typical usage scenario” is productivity and gaming.
But sorry, your assumptions of me splurging around is vague. I came here to seek knowledge on what I lack in terms of current pc hardware and it’s pros and cons.
I am grateful and glad I got good amount of very useful feedback which will help me take a proper purchasing decision. You may think my current rig is good for gaming which it is and I don’t deny that, but I use my PC almost everyday so I know its shortcomings in certain games and other applications which has led me to believe that I definitely need a CPU upgrade more than anything. The 8700k has aged well and I have been saving for the right moment to upgrade. Cheers mate.

You could have asked or put this across a bit more politely. Anyway, my “typical usage scenario” is productivity and gaming.
But sorry, your assumptions of me splurging around is vague. I came here to seek knowledge on what I lack in terms of current pc hardware and it’s pros and cons.
I am grateful and glad I got good amount of very useful feedback which will help me take a proper purchasing decision. You may think my current rig is good for gaming which it is and I don’t deny that, but I use my PC almost everyday so I know its shortcomings in certain games and other applications which has led me to believe that I definitely need a CPU upgrade more than anything. The 8700k has aged well and I have been saving for the right moment to upgrade. Cheers mate.
If no serious productivity, 7800X3D is the way to go for gaming. You can literally just swap CPU after 3 years if you want an upgrade that time.

Else 13700K is fine provided you can keep its temps in check. IMO 360mm AIO is required if you are doing CPU heavy tasks as its power draw is huge in comparison. Also, undervolt it if you buy it. Check reviews by Hardware unboxed & Gamers Nexus.

Since you asked :D IMHO: OC the existing processor if not already and call it a day, delay that upgrade for next Intel release if you are a Intel fan, ignore 13th gen (too late for it, thermals not good), 14th gen is where Intel should really shine and we are getting close since recent AMD releases have humiliated Intel and they are gonna reply.

If you can go AMD, then you got plenty of options. You can't really go wrong in the higher end with AMD. A 7950x was 51k at flipkart a few days ago.

If no serious productivity, 7800X3D is the way to go for gaming. You can literally just swap CPU after 3 years if you want an upgrade that time.

Else 13700K is fine provided you can keep its temps in check. IMO 360mm AIO is required if you are doing CPU heavy tasks as its power draw is huge in comparison. Also, undervolt it if you buy it. Check reviews by Hardware unboxed & Gamers Nexus.
Will consider what you said. Thanks. I have a HX 850W PSU. Will this be enough for the 13700k and 3080Ti?
Since you asked :D IMHO: OC the existing processor if not already and call it a day, delay that upgrade for next Intel release if you are a Intel fan, ignore 13th gen (too late for it, thermals not good), 14th gen is where Intel should really shine and we are getting close since recent AMD releases have humiliated Intel and they are gonna reply.

If you can go AMD, then you got plenty of options. You can't really go wrong in the higher end with AMD. A 7950x was 51k at flipkart a few days ago.
What time frame do you think the intel 14 gen will launch?

why does the xmp profile void warranty? Isn’t it like an obvious setting everyone does these days? And some RAM companies even market it as Intel XMP for their modules.
OC voids warranty, but not so easy to prove that you have OC'd parts. You can always remove OC before RMA.

Almost everyone uses XMP. Few people OC or UV their CPU or/and GPU. On my old laptop, I UV'd both CPU & GPU, but still claimed warranty by removing the OC when I submitted it to service centre.
The warranty is for guaranteed stable operation at the stated specs. It may work beyond the minimum guaranteed nos, or it may not, so the manufacturer is not certifying that usage. You can't buy an unlocked CPU and then claim warranty saying you can't OC it to 10GHz - anything above stock multiplier/MHz is considered OC.

All your OC settings is in the motherboard BIOS. No way for CPU manufacturer to know you were OC-ing it unless you fried it with excess voltage.

Coming back to topic, you're best off switching to AM5. Get a 7800x3D for now. It will give you insane gaming performance for the next 5-10 years at least, AND let you upgrade to more cores if required. 14th gen won't be on shelves until ~Jan 2024

Will consider what you said. Thanks. I have a HX 850W PSU. Will this be enough for the 13700k and 3080Ti?

What time frame do you think the intel 14 gen will launch?
Yes, 850W should suffice. That is a good PSU. I doubt your productivity applications will run both CPU & GPU at max power together, but even at that case 850W should be fine.

What productivity usage do you have? If it is lightly threaded like Photoshop, 7800X3D shouldn't be an issue. For video editing, even 13500 outperforms 7800X3D. AM4 socket had 4 CPU generations on it & 5800X3D was a big jump for any gamers still using Ryzen 2000/3000 or even 1000 series. Intel really needs to move away from 2 gen cycle & allow CPU overclocking on non-K CPUs.

14th gen is rumoured for end of this year, will likely start with i5 14600K, i7 14700K & i9 14900K this year, if it does release.

Enabling or using XMP at its default Profiles [eg on ASUS Z690 or 790 motherboards - and as it reads the maximum DDR4 or 5 Values of the RAM modules you chose - will work - also provided your brand of RAM manufacturer is credible]
WARRANY is VOID when you tweak any further settings for OC purposes - AND ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS A FAILURE TO GET INTO POST - as this will already have resulted in some damage to CPU or RAM or GPU

The video I posted above about XMP is most critical to understand - as all our conventional ideas fall apart as Intel & AMD migrate to newer standards - BUT HAVE NOT CAUTIONED USERS SUFFICIENTLY ABOUT SOME DRAWBACKS.
Regarding 3rd party Coolers and in this case Noctua ...... and old model that OP choses to use will serve him well (provided all querries are fond to my first post out here)

FYI: I am using an almost 9 year old Noctua NH-C14 (with a single fan only) and the 13700K and temps rarely exceed 45 degs in Mumbai Summer today. Of course - I also have 9 fans (NZXT and Vardar 140 mm on my system) - not counting the 3 fans on GPU 3060 - and also everything runs SUPER SILENT.

Check the temp picsScreenshot 2023-04-12 103321.png from HWiINFO64 and NZXT

Attachments

• NZXT_230412_01.png
    NZXT_230412_01.png
    190 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
FYI: I am using an almost 9 year old Noctua NH-C14 (with a single fan only) and the 13700K and temps rarely exceed 45 degs in Mumbai Summer today. Of course - I also have 9 fans (NZXT and Vardar 140 mm on my system) - not counting the 3 fans on GPU 3060 - and also everything runs SUPER SILENT.
Full load temps?

For starters congrats on deciding to upgrade.
The following is what you can expect for the components you wish to sell.
Processor: i7 8700k, around 8K-10K
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z370, around 5K-6.5K
Rams: Gskill Trident Z DDR4 16GBKit 3200Mhz CL14?, around 4K because of CL14 otherwise around 3K

Now for the cooler: If this cooler is a recent release under 2 years then you're in luck because the brand probably manufactures the LGA 1700 bracket for it. If not, its better you sell off this one and grab something that does include LGA 1700 bracket(for Intel) and AM5 bracket (for AMD).
You could consider getting a 360mm based liquid Cooler. Keeps the PC subtle and doesn't look stuffed with a huge heatsink in the middle. You'll have to consider the ram heights if you do decide to stick to the Air Cooler.

For the new upgrades:
You should highly consider getting AMD's freshly released Risen 7800X3D because it has a crazy performance in game with help of that V-Cache memory. Instantly beats the shit out of 7950X & 7950X3d or at worst is on par with them. This is gonna be standard with games that use V cache memory. You might have better luck with Intel 13700k over multithreaded performances on productivity part. Expect a bit performance hit on 13700K when compared with 7800x3d.

For the motherboard you should consider MSI tomahawk. Asus motherboards are amazing and I personally use a z690e strip but they come at a hefty price tag.

As for the rams as stated by @terence_fdes, there is in fact issues with XMP profile enabled on 12th and 13th Gen Intel processors. Not only intel but people have witnessed similar problems on Ryen 7000 series too but not on higher count as its counterpart.
XMP causes problems like PC running but no display output and NO post at worst case scenario. A different issue could be with games or productivity softwares that are Ram intensive where the said application on the PC might freeze and shuts down instantly with a possible reboot of the PC. I personally had this issue. I had upgraded to intel 12900K based PC last year December with 6000Mhz rams. XMP enabled was causing my games to abruptly stop working and random PC restarts. A workaround/ fix to this was disabling the XMP profile and manually selecting XMP tweaked in RAM OC settings in BIOS(in ASUS, not certain if this is available in other brands). So far things have been stable for me as I haven't witnessed any crashes so far after this fix.

For the Power Supply:
If you somehow decide on AMD you are in luck and would be fine with 850W PSU and AMD had decent power consumption under rated 120W max TDP. Whereas Intel is heavy on power with max power draw of around 250W on max load(similar to my 12900KF). Combining that with 3080ti(I have the same but zotac amp holo) you are at about 700W jus with cpu and gpu. For the better you should opt for 1000W PSU and if you must, grab a ATX 3.0 based PSU so that you have a room for a possible GPU upgrade and then won't lack on the new 12VHPWR rated cables without the need for an alternate option.

I hope this helps you decide the final parts for the upgrade. ENJOY

Valuable inputs provided by @pranjalrohilla
"As for the rams as stated by @terence_fdes, there is in fact issues with XMP profile enabled on 12th and 13th Gen Intel processors. Not only intel but people have witnessed similar problems on Ryen 7000 series too but not on higher count as its counterpart.
XMP causes problems like PC running but no display output and NO post at worst case scenario. A different issue could be with games or productivity softwares that are Ram intensive where the said application on the PC might freeze and shuts down instantly with a possible reboot of the PC. I personally had this issue. I had upgraded to intel 12900K based PC last year December with 6000Mhz rams. XMP enabled was causing my games to abruptly stop working and random PC restarts
. A workaround/ fix to this was disabling the XMP profile and manually selecting XMP tweaked in RAM OC settings in BIOS(in ASUS, not certain if this is available in other brands). So far things have been stable for me as I haven't witnessed any crashes so far after this fix.

For the Power Supply:
If you somehow decide on AMD you are in luck and would be fine with 850W PSU and AMD had decent power consumption under rated 120W max TDP. Whereas Intel is heavy on power with max power draw of around 250W on max load(similar to my 12900KF). Combining that with 3080ti(I have the same but zotac amp holo) you are at about 700W jus with cpu and gpu. For the better you should opt for 1000W PSU and if you must, grab a ATX 3.0 based PSU so that you have a room for a possible GPU upgrade and then won't lack on the new 12VHPWR rated cables without the need for an alternate option."

Valuable insights - and let me repeat - PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO CAREFULLY (posted above )
It will Give you a Clarity for XMP | DDR4 or 5 | Intel 12th & 13th Gen plus Z690 or 790 Motherboards

132315.png

There is no "productivity" scenario that the 7800x3d will struggle with - far from it. And the much longer 5 year AM5 socket / upgrade cycle with much better thermal/power efficiency is the cherry on top! Unless you are doing video editing everyday - Intel 13th gen makes no sense. Even the 5800x3d outperforms 13th gen in many scenarios!

Back