Budget 71-90K Need advise for components to build a new high end gaming and productivity system and need tips/guides for windows and bios optimisation.

Guys, I am now extremely worried after knowing what’s happening to the 7800X3D chips :anguished: Should I switch to Intel i7 13700k?
See these reports. Is this only a Expo to RAM and ASUS mobo issue?

Guys, I am now extremely worried after knowing what’s happening to the 7800X3D chips :anguished: Should I switch to Intel i7 13700k?

Most manufacturers have updated their bios to rectify this. If you are not in a hurry, wait a week and see how it pans out. Keep checking r/amd on reddit for ongoing progress.

It's scary.... but could be true. The 7800X3D is NEW yet an unproven though powerful chip.
Mobo manufacturers may have rushed (even Asus) - however, if there is truth in both the above links. Then it would be better to either
1. Hold on for a month or two or more before longer term stability is verified or
2. Go for the safe & proven 13700K

We are genuine consumers - who end up spending a lot. We are not privileged *YouTubers* or Testers who receive FREE sample of Chips / Hardware and then rattle off their opinions.

Now I am in such a weird dilemma, from what I have understood after knowing the issues with current gen Intel and AMD CPUs specially after seeing reports of the AMD 7800X3D chips dying after enabling EXPO, it’s best to avoid tinkering with RAM XMP/EXPO settings.
So at this point does it even matter what platform I choose? I should probably just buy the AMD 7800X3D and leave the RAM settings alone till some BIOS updates are in place. And should I undervolt it a bit?

This video and Reddit thread explains a lot of things. Some people are also speculating upon a closer look that the pins may have been bent due to improper CPU placement.
Hope some pros on the TE forum can also shed some light.

Last edited:
Gamers Nexus has shed some light on the matter. They bought the cpu and mobo from the reddit post you posted above and tested it. Steve says at the end of the video it is not that common of a thing and not to be that worried. You can check out the video.
All the best and looking forward to you build.

Gamers Nexus has shed some light on the matter. They bought the cpu and mobo from the reddit post you posted above and tested it. Steve says at the end of the video it is not that common of a thing and not to be that worried. You can check out the video.
All the best and looking forward to you build.
Yes I saw this video. Meanwhile I have been doing a lot of research on AMD and Intel. I am going for Intel 13700k build. I as it is don’t upgrade until 5-6 years other than GPU.

I don't think you can go wrong with either CPU, since both are basically the best CPUs money can buy now. BTW, those nice Hynix CL32 RAM are sadly out of stock now, so consider 6000 CL36
Yes I saw this video. Meanwhile I have been doing a lot of research on AMD and Intel. I am going for Intel 13700k build. I as it is don’t upgrade until 5-6 years other than GPU.

Hi guys. So here is my new system config which I will be building soon. I want to know if I would require a 1000W or 1200W PSU for my new build. Also please let me know what are the chances of me running into POWER limitations from my HX850 or indications my PC can give me if the power is not sufficient. If the HX 850 PSU can take the load of this system then I will save some money and later in the future when I upgrade my GPU I can buy a 1200W PSU. So is the HX 850 good enough to take the load of the config below?

RAM - Gskill Trident DDR5 16X2 32gb
CPU - Intel 13700K
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z790
GPU - RTX 3080Ti
SSD - 2TB WD SN850X, 1 TB Samsung 850 pro and a 512GB 970 Evo plus M2
COOLER - Noctua cromax NH D15
System FANS - Around 5 or 6
Monitor - View Sonic 24inch Vx2431
UPS - APC PRO 1500

Hi guys. So here is my new system config which I will be building soon. I want to know if I would require a 1000W or 1200W PSU for my new build. Also please let me know what are the chances of me running into POWER limitations from my HX850 or indications my PC can give me if the power is not sufficient. If the HX 850 PSU can take the load of this system then I will save some money and later in the future when I upgrade my GPU I can buy a 1200W PSU. So is the HX 850 good enough to take the load of the config below?

CPU - Intel 13700K
GPU - RTX 3080Ti
UPS - APC PRO 1500
Let's see, lets consider the HX850 will be good up to 80% of it's total wattage so 80% of 850 watt will be 680 watts of constant power available.
  • Intel 13700k TDP = 250 watt
  • 3080Ti TDP = 350 watt
  • A high end motherboard = 80 watt
  • 2 SSDs = 8 watt
  • 1 HDD = 9 watt
  • 7 PC fans = 3 watt each total 21 watt
Total comes out 718 watt, about 40 watt more than what we went with.

Now knowing it's a corsair power supply I am sure it can definitely deliver more than 680 watt of constant power. So if you ask me, yes the system will run happily, but only at stock settings, don't even think about overclocking.

Also note that above numbers are the max TDP values. In real world usage, both the CPU & GPU would seldom be at 100% load simultaneously, so you have quite a bit of overhead. Heck my UPS can only provide 660W and I've never had a problem running OC'd 3770k + 980Ti or 12400 + 3070Ti via a 850W PSU.

Since you already have the PSU, you can try using it and keep an eye on Event Viewer. If there are power related problems, it should throw some errors there when running intensive tasks.

CPU - Intel 13700K
GPU - RTX 3080Ti
UPS - APC PRO 1500
HX850 is good enough. Just undervolt CPU & GPU properly to lower power draw w/o impacting performance.

My 3070 GPU uses up to 240W default, but after spending some time undervolting it, now games use 150-200W (depending on the game, but rare instances of it crossing 180W) while performance hit is just 2-3%. Same can be done with your CPU.

Just to be clear, even w/o UV, HX850 is enough.

Let's see, lets consider the HX850 will be good up to 80% of it's total wattage so 80% of 850 watt will be 680 watts of constant power available.
  • Intel 13700k TDP = 250 watt
  • 3080Ti TDP = 350 watt
  • A high end motherboard = 80 watt
  • 2 SSDs = 8 watt
  • 1 HDD = 9 watt
  • 7 PC fans = 3 watt each total 21 watt
Total comes out 718 watt, about 40 watt more than what we went with.

Now knowing it's a corsair power supply I am sure it can definitely deliver more than 680 watt of constant power. So if you ask me, yes the system will run happily, but only at stock settings, don't even think about overclocking.
I don’t intend to OC the cpu but I can enable XMP profile right?

I don’t intend to OC the cpu but I can enable XMP profile right?
Yep.

Those TDP values are exaggerated anyways, but you know what will be interesting to see? You have APC PRO 1500, it has data port at the back, once you build your PC, connect APC to your PC, run some benchmark, run APC software to see the real time wattage.

Yep.

Those TDP values are exaggerated anyways, but you know what will be interesting to see? You have APC PRO 1500, it has data port at the back, once you build your PC, connect APC to your PC, run some benchmark, run APC software to see the real time wattage.
Oh my, I didn’t know I could do that. Is there some tutorial where I can see how to use the APC UPS with software. There is a digital display bar on the front of the UPS, so I think it must be showing the real time wattage there also right?
Yep.

Update : Ok so I saw one review of the APC PRO 1500 on YouTube and I am surprised how all this while I didn’t know that I could cycle through the various useful info to get a reading in real time for eg wattage load, input and output voltage, backup time, % of usage. All this can be seen right from the digital display on the UPS and I can also see by installing the software as you said.

I fired up COD MW 2 and could see on the digital display the wattage touching maximum 440 on my current system that has the intel 8700k.
Thank you so much for enlightening me on this. Problem solved :)

Last edited:
Hi guys. I need your advice on this please. Have posted a separate thread also but since you all have guided me so far, I thought I will put my query here as well.

I have recently bought a Corsair HX1500i ATX 3.0 PSU and it came with a 16amp power cable. The challenge I am facing is that I don’t have a 16amp port behind my APC PRO 1500 UPS and even the port of the Corsair HX1500i is this weird looking never before seen port.
The power cord that is permanently attached to the APC UPS has a 16amp 3 pin plug which is always plugged into a 16amp wall outlet.
Before I made the switch to the new Corsair HX1500i, previously I was using the Corsair HX850 with a standard 13amp power cord which used to be plugged in to one of the Battery Backup port of my APC UPS.

Now my confusion and doubt is whether it is safe for my components, the UPS and my PC in general if I use a conversion plug as seen in the attached image.
My electrician got me this MX conversion plug (MX-1356 model which converts 5AMP to 15AMP) and told me I can use this plug to connect the 16amp 3 pin power cable that came with the Corsair’s HX1500i and that way I can then connect the power cord behind the APC UPS.
However, I am not too sure or confident if this is the right method or if I am missing something here.
The 16amp power cord of the HX1500i fits in the MX conversion plug perfectly but I don’t want to rush into the suggestion my electrician has given only to later find out that my components are fried.
Please let me know what should I do?

Please see the images.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 38
Hi guys. I need your advice on this please. Have posted a separate thread also but since you all have guided me so far, I thought I will put my query here as well.

I have recently bought a Corsair HX1500i ATX 3.0 PSU and it came with a 16amp power cable. The challenge I am facing is that I don’t have a 16amp port behind my APC PRO 1500 UPS and even the port of the Corsair HX1500i is this weird looking never before seen port.
The power cord that is permanently attached to the APC UPS has a 16amp 3 pin plug which is always plugged into a 16amp wall outlet.
Before I made the switch to the new Corsair HX1500i, previously I was using the Corsair HX850 with a standard 13amp power cord which used to be plugged in to one of the Battery Backup port of my APC UPS.

Now my confusion and doubt is whether it is safe for my components, the UPS and my PC in general if I use a conversion plug as seen in the attached image.
My electrician got me this MX conversion plug (MX-1356 model which converts 5AMP to 15AMP) and told me I can use this plug to connect the 16amp 3 pin power cable that came with the Corsair’s HX1500i and that way I can then connect the power cord behind the APC UPS.
However, I am not too sure or confident if this is the right method or if I am missing something here.
The 16amp power cord of the HX1500i fits in the MX conversion plug perfectly but I don’t want to rush into the suggestion my electrician has given only to later find out that my components are fried.

Please see the images.
In general the convertor should do the job for you. In addition, this is a C20 Port on the PSU which utilises a C19 Power Cord. What you need is a C19 to C14 Convertor cable which will connect to your generic UPS power cable. Refer This Cable port link for better understanding.

Please see the images.
I'm not sure if a 1500W PSU really needs a 15A plug but my NZXT C750 came with a 15A plug, I used a simple converter (15A to 5A converter) & it has been working fine for 1.5 years now.

What parts do you have that you need 1500W PSU? PSUs draw only how much power is required. So very high chance your PC will not cross 900-1000W even if you have i9 13900K + 4090 running at full power together (another rare occurence).

I'm not sure if a 1500W PSU really needs a 15A plug but my NZXT C750 came with a 15A plug, I used a simple converter (15A to 5A converter) & it has been working fine for 1.5 years now.

What parts do you have that you need 1500W PSU? PSUs draw only how much power is required. So very high chance your PC will not cross 900-1000W even if you have i9 13900K + 4090 running at full power together (another rare occurence).
I will soon be getting a RTX 4090. I have a 13700k cpu, Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790 motherboard, DDR 5 (16x2gb) 6400mhz ram, three noctua fans, NHD15 cromax cpu cooler, 24” Viewsonic monitor
Which converter you suggest I get for the 16amp plug.
Did you see the image I posted of the MX converter.
Also please check out the link, it’s a different product but looks like it should also work.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back