Audio Need Audio solution @13k

From Brendon's impressions of HD650 vs Denon D5k, I'd prefer HD650 mainly because of better mids, better bass quality and better soundstage but as it seems a <4k/5k amp wont be enough to drive these phones so HD650 seems implausible

really, I have heard some really good stuff about the Fiio E9 !

i tried the E9 at anubhav's place. it was clean and neutral , no bumps and dips whatsoever. was quite powerful also. Just not much refined. but which amp here is refined below 10K ??

anyways, THe most important thing is HD650, when he gets that the E9+e7 will keep him busy till he gets something better.

To drive HD 650 to the fullest you need a $2000+ DAC/amp

same goes for HD600 , AKG K702

But here i am happy ( sort of ) with my D1+K702.

ITs not about driving what you buy to the fullest .

its about the best sound under 18K .

And i dont think i will be off if i say that, Fuze>FiioE9>HD650 will give him the best sound ( for him ) under 18K ( IF he gets HD650 under 13-14K)

bennysachdev said:
Yes the Xonar STX is a very neutral sounding dac/amp, but can it drive the HD650 to the fullest?
No chip amp can power HD650 to its fullest.

But it can certainly perform as an enjoyable starter rig. I know that I enjoyed my HD580 on the STX a while back.

Yes I heard the HD650 on the STX and it sounded pretty good.

The HD650 sounds good out of my BlackBerry phone as well but it scales up with better equipment very well indeed.

@Faheem - It has a pretty good bass response and on the EHHA it simply gets better. You heard it out of my Compass amp which has a rolled off bass so thats why you did not like it as much.

If you can get it used for around $200 it will be a good deal. And the FiiO E9 is a pretty neutral amp so the combo will be pretty decent. But I seriously suggest you listen to the HD650 first before buying.

Non availability of D5000 and HD650(<$250, there is a deal for $300) is frustrating me, and also there is the problem of not being able to afford a decent amp/DAP to drive them so I think I should give RE262 a try. (OR some other similar priced <9k IEM)
TBH I dont like TF10 type bass, rather bass on the lines of M3.

Is there any good DAP which can drive cans as well under 8k? I dont mind an amp but then the budget would be <6k for amp. This way I can buy an headphone later as seen plausible by me without having to worry whether or not my DAP/amp will be able to drive them efficiently.
Also if there is a DAP which doesn't require an additional amp for driving full-sized cans and is not in my budget, I'd like to know about it too.

Under 8K your only option ( that can drive cans as well ) is the Fiio E7 +E9

Mukul is running the RE262 with the Fiio duo. says the result is good . PM him for more info .:)

^Er..that exceeds my budget by 2k, if Im not getting something which can play my music as well then my budget for it is <6k

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How about SFlo2 8GB + RE262?

Also, can someone help me in purchasing the Sflo2 from mp4nation, I do not have a CC. I will transfer the exact amount immediately.

Yeah the RE262 pairs very well with the S:flo2.
if there was a IEM i would recommend with Sflo that'd be the RE262.
good soundstage, great mids , good bass, smooth and detailed treble .

but what about HD650 and DT880 ?

i mean if you plan on getting a hard to drive headphone you are better off with a desktop amp.

Sflo as a DAP is great , ( at the price )

HD650= already quite expensive + needs good amping + risk of custom duty = I cant buy it, atleast now

DT880= Dont know the price/cant find it + dont know anything about it + risk of custom duty

RE262+ Sflo2 = I save money which I need + I get a very good DAP which can drive some cans as well = Should keep me happy, atleast for a decent period of time

Thanks everyone for their help as always, I have almost bought the RE262+Sflo2 8GB (Didn't have money for 16Gb benny)

Will be costing me INR15535, if no custom duty is levied on my Sflo

I really hope the combo keeps me happy for a decent period of time

strategy said:
Under 8K your only option ( that can drive cans as well ) is the Fiio E7 +E9

Mukul is running the RE262 with the Fiio duo. says the result is good . PM him for more info .:)
Ih have not heard anythng other thn e7+e9 wth my 262. But it really sound very dynamic and natural
if u cnt afford e7+e9 get sflo2.
In few days evn i might buy one

A pretty decent deal for a re-cabled D5000 .If I am not wrong ,the APS cable itself is pretty expensive ! Incase anyone wants to buy them , I can help them get it shipped to my Aramex US address and forward it to India . Your job is to strike the deal with the seller and pay :p

$370 + Armax shipping + customs ( as this is a HP 70% chance of customs being charged ). was your budget 22-25 K ? (sorry i missed this increment )

Back