Need high-end Android phone

vebk

Adept
So now that I am sick of waiting for the Desire to pop up officially in India, and totally disappointed with HTC's lies (they kept changing their claims - from may end to july end, and now mid-august):mad:, I am looking for alternatives in the android phone market. Budget is not a big issue and I am comfortable in the 25-30K range (maximum!)

The following things are important to me:
  • 1 GHz processor
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (pinch and zoom)
  • A good chance of being upgraded to froyo and beyond.

The only phone I could think of with all this was the Samsung Galaxy S. I tried it out in a couple of stores but didn't like it too much (i.e. the physical build). The screen and all is good - but physically it did not feel solid to me and reminded me too much of an iPod.

Are there any other options?

Hellwrath said:
Any reason you guys don't want to order off flipkart? It's just a couple of hundred bucks more than your budget and it's free shipping. Give it a thought.

1. Never heard of flipkart before
  2. Don't know if the product is the officially launched Desire or grey market one
  3. Don't know if they actually have it in stock or would charge your credit card first and then say, "oh we don't have stock - we'll deliver it to you as soon as possible"
  4. There's always a risk buying something that has to be shipped (especially considering point #1). Would rather physically buy a phone whose box etc. I can physically inspect beforehand to ensure there was no damage during transit.

vebk said:
  1. Never heard of it before
  2. Don't know if the product is the officially launched Desire or grey market one
  3. Don't know if they actually have it in stock or would charge your credit card first and then say, "oh we don't have stock - we'll deliver it to you as soon as possible"
  4. There's always a risk buying something that has to be shipped (especially considering point #1). Would rather physically buy a phone whose box etc. I can physically inspect beforehand to ensure there was no damage during transit.

Flipkart is one of the most famous online shops AFAIK. It started off with books and now has added mobiles too. A LOT of my friends use it as they give very good prices and usually ship in a day, most of them have rated it 10/10.

Somebody on thinkdigit has opted for COD for it and has received confirmation about them delivering the set with bill and warranty in a week's time. Last point is something I agree to as well, and hence I didn't buy it off ebay. But, I trust flipkar a 10000 times more than powersellers of ebay. Somehow, I have heard a lot of horror stories of buyers being mistreated by sellers from ebay for positive rating.

^ Another thing is that they are advertising the black version, which is not very common and only available in the UK AFAIK, which makes me think it's a grey piece. Also, they themselves state that it would only ship 7 - 9 days afterwards. Hopefully that means by that time it would anyway be available in the market.

khanvis2009 said:
wait for the htc desire hd launch on sept 15th ..

The amazon link does not work anymore. Besides what does a launch date of 15th Sept translate into in terms of the actual retail launch in the market? And when would the phone actually be available in India? HTC India doesn't have a very good track record!

^ don't think that the Desire will be available in the market. So far there are no reports of actual retail units available at dealer. If you are in a hurry, then it looks like Galaxy S for you!

btw there are some decent cases for it called zenus cases or something like that - apparently made out of leather and has some metal built into it - useful if you want to give the Galaxy S some weight! (This case is the one I have in mind as a backup in the event that the Desire does not surface soon. If I have to buy a Galaxy S I would definitely want it to feel heavier and look a little different).

Back