Budget 0-20k Need low cost PC for torrents and HD movies (Used Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then you would have to shell out a bit more for electric bill every month than going for a energy efficient dual core like the G620.
Even considering an idle power consumption difference of 40w between the two it works out to close to ~1 unit of electricity a day.
So its about 30 units per month extra. So 30 units * Rs. 5 -> Rs.150. Which is about Rs.1800 a year!
I would suggest the G620 + Gigabyte B75 combo for ~ 8k (1st hand one) But then you can calculate the difference in the buying price, your requirement and the price you will pay extra for power and decide accordingly.

Well then you would have to shell out a bit more for electric bill every month than going for a energy efficient dual core like the G620.
Even considering an idle power consumption difference of 40w between the two it works out to close to ~1 unit of electricity a day.
So its about 30 units per month extra. So 30 units * Rs. 5 -> Rs.150. Which is about Rs.1800 a year!
I would suggest the G620 + Gigabyte B75 combo for ~ 8k (1st hand one) But then you can calculate the difference in the buying price, your requirement and the price you will pay extra for power and decide accordingly.

That is interesting DarkAngel, never thought about the electricity expenditure involved in running a computer!
Is there a way to measure how many watts of power my home computer is using? Although i am an ' Electrical Engineer ' but have no idea about how to go about this!

Actually I am to blame for this @DarkAngel, not Satish. He had PM-ed me though I had warned that the Phenom IIx4 is far from efficient.

We can do a profiling via the Catalyst Control Centre and whenever the system is just downloading [torrent] kick it into the lowest power mode, that be ~800MHz @1.0v. If the motherboard allows the processor to be further under-clocked Satish can do so and profile for situations when the above need arises. @sunny27 can shed some light as he was the Satish's benefactor.

Hope this helps, and apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not settle for G620 or i3 2100,Why PII X4 955?,Is it even available?
Actually I am to blame for this DarkAngel, not Satish. He had PM-ed me though I had warned that the Phenom IIx4 is far from efficient.

We can do a profiling via the Catalyst Control Centre and whenever the system is just downloading [torrent] kick it into the lowest power mode, that be ~800MHz @1.0v. If the motherboard allows the processor to be further under-clocked Satish can do so and profile for situations when the above need arises. sunny27 can shed some light as he was the Satish's benefactor.

Hope this helps, and apologies.

Why not settle for G620 or i3 2100,Why PII X4 955?,Is it even available?

Yes, sunny27 sold his old RIG and started a new thread today morning for a processor + motherboard combo under ~25000/- for replacing these components [that he sold].

That is interesting DarkAngel, never thought about the electricity expenditure involved in running a computer!
Is there a way to measure how many watts of power my home computer is using? Although i am an ' Electrical Engineer ' but have no idea about how to go about this!

Equipment are costly IINM. You have to go with reviews where they would have given you the setup's power consumption @ idle and at load etc... and compared different processors that are its closer rivals.
The PII X4 955BE and the G620 falls under different categories and one can say even different eras. So you wouldn't find any direct comparison.

Honestly you dont even need such power! You should also consider the h/w age when buying 2nd hand. Then you would also be subjecting a not so energy efficient processor in a 24*7 DL scenario which tends to heat up the processor a bit. Ifc you havent paid already I would suggest you apologize to the seller and go for a more energy-efficient set up.

The B75M-D3H can be bought for ~ 4.4k from ebay using the 10% ICICI debit card discount offer.
ALPHA17 - The OP says he is a newbie. Wouldnt it be a chore for him to do all that when he can go for a setup that suits his 24*7 needs in the first place?

The B75M-UD3H can be bought for ~ 4.4k from ebay using the 10% ICICI debit card discount offer.

Thanks DarkAngel, will look for reviews then.
I have a 45W Sempron in a basic jeyway board, i think my power consumption would be ~100W

Is there a difference between B75M-UD3H and B75M-D3H . The second one is available for ~4.4k. former is not listed as far as i see.
By the way, is there no solution like Asus N13U that can take care of the 24/7 torrent download.

PS: How does one multi-quote now? i checked the multiquote but could not find a ' post reply' button like earlier.

ALPHA17, yes you have warned me about the power efficiency, but i wasn't aware that this could be a serious thing to consider. Thankyou DARKANGEL for pointing it out. will look in to the solutions dat were proposed to bring down the power consumption. Thanks again.

ALPHA17, yes you have warned me about the power efficiency, but i wasn't aware that this could be a serious thing to consider. Thankyou DARKANGEL for pointing it out. will look in to the solutions dat were proposed to bring down the power consumption. Thanks again.

I am sorry Satish, I should have brought it out more strongly. As a senior this is my mistake and I fess-up.

I am sorry Satish, I should have brought it out more strongly. As a senior this is my mistake and I fess-up.
hey no issues or regrets, i am very much satisfied with the config. just need to do some reading about it, hope u people will help me with it. and can you please suggest a budget ;-) atx or micro atx with smps, what should be the min power rating for the smps.?

Thanks DarkAngel, will look for reviews then.
I have a 45W Sempron in a basic jeyway board, i think my power consumption would be ~100W

Is there a difference between B75M-UD3H and B75M-D3H . The second one is available for ~4.4k. former is not listed as far as i see.
By the way, is there no solution like Asus N13U that can take care of the 24/7 torrent download.

PS: How does one multi-quote now? i checked the multiquote but could not find a ' post reply' button like earlier. %

Apologies, that was a typo. Post edited. Its the D3H that can be bought from ebay using 10% off for ~4.4k GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA Micro ATX Intel Motherboard | eBay

hey no issues or regrets, i am very much satisfied with the config. just need to do some reading about it, hope u people will help me with it. and can you please suggest a budget ;-) atx or micro atx with smps, what should be the min power rating for the smps.?

Just by any regular Zebronics cabinet but for the SMPS thanks to the quad-core Phenom II processor we might need a SMPS like the Corsair CX v2430W ~2700/-.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Just by any regular Zebronics cabinet but for the SMPS thanks to the quad-core Phenom II processor we might need a SMPS like the Corsair CX v2430W ~2700/-.

So is it the power rating (430 W) which is required or is it the connectivity options that need to be looked for if i go for the seconds....?

isn't there any other cheaper alternative than this, or is this the least i should spend for the PSU....?

So is it the power rating (430 W) which is required or is it the connectivity options that need to be looked for if i go for the seconds....?

isn't there any other cheaper alternative than this, or is this the least i should spend for the PSU....?

These is the baseline I recommend, irrespective of other cheaper options [which I am not aware off].

Also putting a cheap local SMPS will further dent your capabilities and see a drop in operational efficiency of this setup.

Apologies, that was a typo. Post edited. Its the D3H that can be bought from ebay using 10% off for ~4.4k GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA Micro ATX Intel Motherboard | eBay

maybe they are watching us at flipkart. today's price is Rs 4399
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

@ALPHA17 and @DarkAngel

Im sorry for thread jacking but this may be useful for @satishinti too. So want your advice on this please:
http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/s12ii-430w-vs-gx-450w-137122/

im getting the Cooler Master GX450 for 2790 after 10% ebay coupon. Power Supply GX-450W With Bill & Warranty By Cooler Master | eBay
and S12II at 3020
So S12II430 at Rs3000 or GX450 at Rs2800 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Within 2k budget i'd suggest you to get Corsair CX430V2-2.4k,Nice solid corsair psu within budget.CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Can anyone help in selecting a capable PSU and cabinet bundle for the below setup in a budget of ~2K....?

1. CPU- AMD's Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition.
2. Mother Board - GIGABYTE GA-785GMT-USB3
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-785GMT-USB3 (rev. 1.0)
3. RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
4. HDD -
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS)

I won't be adding any GPU or doing Overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back