Storage Solutions Need some idea about NAS

sTALKEr said:
scratch that.. they DONT have it in stock :mad:

wht abt 750 giga i had that in mind..but most probably will settle for cheap option(waitin for review one)...as i need to divert my fund for new comp table

Guys,

Yesterday afternoon I received my "Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + UPNP USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer Sharing Network LAN Server" from www.Dealextreme.com.. I must say that I am quite impressed with the device. It took precise 16 days to deliver the device from the day it was ordered and no shipping charges !!!! or taxes anything, I just had to pay the price that was listed on the website (total Amount = Rs.2,314.73 INR). I wanted a device which had Bittorrent and NAS capabilty, and this device does. As I already explained to "MAGNeT" I tried downloading a 12 MB Torrent on a 256Kb Airtel line, the average download is around 31 to 32 KB/s which is what I am suppose to get. Do not forget to change the port forwarding settings else you might face download speed issues. Later tried Sharing a folder on the N/W, it works :hap2: even though the transfer speed were around 4.5 to 5.0 MB/s which is not so great as compred to 12MB/s that I get between 2 computers on LAN. But i can live with it as you can always unplug the drive and connect it directly to comp from a USB transfer. You can even put user share access with Ready/Modify restriction. Guess what you also have DDNS feature in this device which enables you to access or use the device from any remote computer with internet access, even upload a torrent and start the download from the remote computer. Today, I was able to successfully login to my NAS from my office. You would require "DMZ" in your router to use this function. You do not need any software for this device, every setting is done through a simple Web GUI. All the these steps are clearly mentioned in the Manual except for port forwarding. I have coupled this device with a 160GB Transcend 2.5” drive. As per the feature mentioned outside the box, this device has BT download, LAN server, Print server, Media server, FTP server, I’ll try rest of the features in weekend, would also post the pics for this device in the “Showoff” section. I believe that it is a great purchase when compared to the features offered against the price. Overall great purchase.......:clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

^^ congrats on your purchase :)

Which BT client do they use? is it a custom client or a popular client? have you used it on any private trackers as of yet?

stalker said:
^^ congrats on your purchase :)

Which BT client do they use? is it a custom client or a popular client? have you used it on any private trackers as of yet?

Thanks...

I got this info from the site forum about this device.

Processor: 200mhz ARM (FA526id(wb) rev 1 (v4l))

Memory: 30mb

Linux: 2.6.16

BtClient: Transmission

It is not a popular client, but works great for me !!!.

Yes I have used it with a private tracker "desitorrents" and it works.

Well now i need some help in getting this device as i dont have credit card plus no pay pal account...if somebody ready to volunteer it would be really great full

?dOuBtFiRe? said:
Do check when you use a lot of private trackers,Some may ban your id when you use clients which are not recommended by them

AFAIK , transmission is allowed by almost all private trackers since its a popular linux / mac client

@ magnet - do you have an online bank account ? most allow you to create a virtual credit card

Sorry to barge into this thread but could anyone help me with this; currently I am using one of my P4 (1 GB) for data storage of Accounts in Tally and all computers excess from the same system. Thus using a NAS with RAID 1 will be a better option. The data of a company is around 10 to 15 mb. and not more than 5 users access it. Mostly not all access the same company at one time. Or if not NAS what config server should I choose and how much will it cost.

cooling_dexter said:
Guys,

Yesterday afternoon I received my "Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + UPNP USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer Sharing Network LAN Server" from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1).. I must say that I am quite impressed with the device. It took precise 16 days to deliver the device from the day it was ordered and no shipping charges !!!! or taxes anything, I just had to pay the price that was listed on the website (total Amount = Rs.2,314.73 INR). I wanted a device which had Bittorrent and NAS capabilty, and this device does. As I already explained to "MAGNeT" I tried downloading a 12 MB Torrent on a 256Kb Airtel line, the average download is around 31 to 32 KB/s which is what I am suppose to get. Do not forget to change the port forwarding settings else you might face download speed issues. Later tried Sharing a folder on the N/W, it works :hap2: even though the transfer speed were around 4.5 to 5.0 MB/s which is not so great as compred to 12MB/s that I get between 2 computers on LAN. But i can live with it as you can always unplug the drive and connect it directly to comp from a USB transfer. You can even put user share access with Ready/Modify restriction. Guess what you also have DDNS feature in this device which enables you to access or use the device from any remote computer with internet access, even upload a torrent and start the download from the remote computer. Today, I was able to successfully login to my NAS from my office. You would require "DMZ" in your router to use this function. You do not need any software for this device, every setting is done through a simple Web GUI. All the these steps are clearly mentioned in the Manual except for port forwarding. I have coupled this device with a 160GB Transcend 2.5†drive. As per the feature mentioned outside the box, this device has BT download, LAN server, Print server, Media server, FTP server, I’ll try rest of the features in weekend, would also post the pics for this device in the “Showoff†section. I believe that it is a great purchase when compared to the features offered against the price. Overall great purchase.......:clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congrats on your purchase. Would you consider posting some screens of the torrent related stuff? How is it at uploading/seeding torrents?

I was considering buying something similar not too long ago but decided against it mainly due to concerns over the capability of the torrent client and it's compatibility with private trackers.

Thought i'd post links to some i was considering:

Airlive WMU-6500FS

and

Airlive MU-7000AVs
Plus a review of Airlive WMU-6500FS here:
External Bit Torrent hard drive packs a solid punch - The Inquirer

The main advantage is that you can use any drive you have lying around and remove it easily if the device craps out.

Disadvantage is that I don't think private trackers will recognise it as a reliable client. Also, I'm not sure if it lets you selectively download files from a torrent.

cooling_dexter said:
Guys,

Yesterday afternoon I received my "Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + UPNP USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer Sharing Network LAN Server" from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1).. I must say that I am quite impressed with the device. It took precise 16 days to deliver the device from the day it was ordered and no shipping charges !!!! or taxes anything, I just had to pay the price that was listed on the website (total Amount = Rs.2,314.73 INR). I wanted a device which had Bittorrent and NAS capabilty, and this device does. As I already explained to "MAGNeT" I tried downloading a 12 MB Torrent on a 256Kb Airtel line, the average download is around 31 to 32 KB/s which is what I am suppose to get. Do not forget to change the port forwarding settings else you might face download speed issues. Later tried Sharing a folder on the N/W, it works :hap2: even though the transfer speed were around 4.5 to 5.0 MB/s which is not so great as compred to 12MB/s that I get between 2 computers on LAN. But i can live with it as you can always unplug the drive and connect it directly to comp from a USB transfer. You can even put user share access with Ready/Modify restriction. Guess what you also have DDNS feature in this device which enables you to access or use the device from any remote computer with internet access, even upload a torrent and start the download from the remote computer. Today, I was able to successfully login to my NAS from my office. You would require "DMZ" in your router to use this function. You do not need any software for this device, every setting is done through a simple Web GUI. All the these steps are clearly mentioned in the Manual except for port forwarding. I have coupled this device with a 160GB Transcend 2.5†drive. As per the feature mentioned outside the box, this device has BT download, LAN server, Print server, Media server, FTP server, I’ll try rest of the features in weekend, would also post the pics for this device in the “Showoff†section. I believe that it is a great purchase when compared to the features offered against the price. Overall great purchase.......:clap::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dexter i received the device minus the manual...hence i m totally lost any link for the guide of same?

though features mention only 2 usb device connections, a usb hub with 4 or more ports can extend the capabilities of this device...

unable to get it work.....

Vista doesnt detect it at all

Connected 120gb wd portable on usb slot...attached the power cord.....

Connected one end of usb cable on this device other to one of the remaining 3 ports of my buffalo router......still not detecting it...also the lan cable attach to the device doesnt glows......when i attached the router cable end(which was attached to the pc to the device)the lights does glow...but stilll nuthin shown on pc

now changed the cable....normal router to pc cable being used to connect the device to connect the device and router....lights glow but still no reaction from the system

MAGNeT said:
unable to get it work.....
Vista doesnt detect it at all

Connected 120gb wd portable on usb slot...attached the power cord.....

Connected one end of usb cable on this device other to one of the remaining 3 ports of my buffalo router......still not detecting it...also the lan cable attach to the device doesnt glows......when i attached the router cable end(which was attached to the pc to the device)the lights does glow...but stilll nuthin shown on pc

now changed the cable....normal router to pc cable being used to connect the device to connect the device and router....lights glow but still no reaction from the system

Sorry did not go through your latest post..
Relax, bro just follow the check list...

1. I have used this device on Vista and currently using it on Beta Windows 7 based system and have no issues.
2. For a portable drive 120Gb drive, i am sure you must have received a 2 headed cable along with it. Connect both ends of the cable to 1 port each of the NAS device. This is because portable HDD needs more power as compared to a Pen drive. That is how i have my Transcend 160Gb configured to my device.
3. Try using a different Lan cable and as mentioned ensure that there are lights blinking on NAS and Router end.
4. After all this is done power on the device, give about a minute or 2 so that router detects it and the IP address gets registered in the routing table.
5. Use "IE or Mozilla" preferably IE and trying accessing the following link "http://NAS" else try following IP "http://192.168.0.240"
6. It would prompt for a username and password.
Username: admin
Password: admin
7. Once in the NAS web based interface make all the appropriate changes.

Note:
* If there is a DHCP SERVER existed in the LAN, the LAN Server will get the IP address automatically from the DHCP SERVER when start-up;
* If there is no DHCP SERVER existed in the LAN, the LAN Server will start up with the default IP address 192.168.0.240 and provide the DHCP service with fixed IP addresses range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.239.
* In other words, you can connect the PC to LAN Server directly, and can use the default IP address 192.168.0.240 to access it.
Finally if you have tried all of the above and it is still not working, then check you have a PM, I have sent you my Phone No. Call me anytime after 4 PM.

here are 2 picts...which shows every stuff connected and working...but still not detecting

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6163/img0619w.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6898/img0620u.jpg

I m using the blue cable which came with this device to connect pc and router since when i connect it to this nas device the lights doesnt glow.....

So reversed the wire...now connected the router to pc cable to router to nas...... as seen in picture.....

Dexter if u r frm mumbai or any reputed mumbai chap ard.......i can pass on the device to the person so that he can test the stuff

Magnet I'm not able to understand what issue you're facing..

Please write precisely about the issue. Is the 652 not detecting your WD hard drive or you are unable to access the 652 thru your PC?

Back