Need suggestions for buying AC

I have seen people install Lloyd split ac's so it would be fair to say they are reasonable and could get the job done if not challenged.

I can say that if they have made good split ac's, then making windows work should be a no-brainer. That is the only thing which can instill confidence in Havell window ones along with being in the industry for 7 years.

How much was the price difference between Amazon and Croma/Reliance? If it's 1-2k get it offline.

The thing with DawnTech is that it's just been in service in 1 year. And it hasn't managed to get a one star rating in the entire year is something to ponder upon. Given our vast country and variety of cartoons/customers, it seems a bit surprising that he hasn't got a 1* or even 2,3* rating till now. All are 4'5*.
Seems a bit difficult trust for someone with just one year as a seller viz a vis 5 year+ like Cloudtail.

@nRiTeCh the build quality of yesteryear products was top notch. Reliability was almost assured on all tne products. We had a godrej manual front door fridge in my village going strong. Think we got it in the 80's. Except for some manual repairs, there were no major hiccups. Finally had to sell it off due to high power consumption.

Last edited:
I have seen people install Lloyd split ac's so it would be fair to say they are reasonable and could get the job done if not challenged.

I can say that if they have made good split ac's, then making windows work should be a no-brainer. That is the only thing which can instill confidence in Havell window ones along with being in the industry for 7 years.

How much was the price difference between Amazon and Croma/Reliance? If it's 1-2k get it offline.

The thing with DawnTech is that it's just been in service in 1 year. And it hasn't managed to get a one star rating in the entire year is something to ponder upon. Given our vast country and variety of cartoons/customers, it seems a bit surprising that he hasn't got a 1* or even 2,3* rating till now. All are 4'5*.
Seems a bit difficult trust for someone with just one year as a seller viz a vis 5 year+ like Cloudtail.

@nRiTeCh the build quality of yesteryear products was top notch. Reliability was almost assured on all tne products. We had a godrej manual front door fridge in my village going strong. Think we got it in the 80's. Except for some manual repairs, there were no major hiccups. Finally had to sell it off due to high power consumption.
I had bought a 1 ton Lloyd split AC around 2019 and it is working fine without any issue with regular maintenance. A year back bought 2 Lloyd inverter Ac's which is also running without any trouble. They are however not cheaper than any other model and cost wise at par with other Ac's. I liked their service as they attend to faults within couple of hours of complaint.

Anyone know what material is generally used for boarding up the gap around the window AC? I've always seen plywood being used but I'm wondering if there's a better option? I see some MDF boards on Amazon, would that be better? And who does the boarding up, will I have to call a carpenter? Urban company states they will not do wood work for installation, but I don't know if brand installation includes that usually.

Edit: forgot to add, I'm thinking MDF+foam insulation tape might work.

I got a 2 ton 3 star izen hitachi inverter split ac for a 250 ish sq ft room like 15 days ago. Feedback that i got for service is not that great as compare to my other LG aircon, still went ahead & bought it.
One thing i make sure is perfect installation with 20 mins vaccum process.
Below comparisons based on LG 1.5 ton 5 stars & my two cents are build quality is top notch, cooling is excellent. I thinks it does consume bit higher electricity units. Cooling capacity: 7000W(Hitachi 46k from croma) vs LG 6000W for 2 ton 5 stars quoted around 58k offline. Very happy with the purchase & whole heartedly recommend hitachi provided you are in atleast 3 tier city.
Cons: No Temp display on indoor unit which i get used to it in few days :)
All thanks to techenclave, broadband forum & reddit.

Anyone know what material is generally used for boarding up the gap around the window AC? I've always seen plywood being used but I'm wondering if there's a better option? I see some MDF boards on Amazon, would that be better? And who does the boarding up, will I have to call a carpenter? Urban company states they will not do wood work for installation, but I don't know if brand installation includes that usually.

Edit: forgot to add, I'm thinking MDF+foam insulation tape might work.
How much gap you are talking about?? I had to take carpenters help to the build frame around sliding window to fix the AC. After installation i remember there was only space of 1mm thick sunmica to push through the gaps . The material used was wood. The other time it was through a builder provided cut out in wall, plywood was used here & there was hardly any gap left to fill.

How much energy consumption difference is there in 1.5 ton window inverter vs non-inverter ac.
Been thinking of getting a window inverter one. How is the LG inver window ac if anyone having any experience with window inverter ac do chime in. Need to get one in a week or so.

How much energy consumption difference is there in 1.5 ton window inverter vs non-inverter ac.
Been thinking of getting a window inverter one. How is the LG inver window ac if anyone having any experience with window inverter ac do chime in. Need to get one in a week or so.
Not my personal experience, but what I've read is that the failure rate of inverter acs and the repair cost of their PCB etc. makes it not a worthy investment over the non inverter ones. I'm pretty much in the same boat rn, buying a 1.5 ton window, and I've pretty much settled on a Carrier 1.5 t non inverter.

Not my personal experience, but what I've read is that the failure rate of inverter acs and the repair cost of their PCB etc. makes it not a worthy investment over the non inverter ones. I'm pretty much in the same boat rn, buying a 1.5 ton window, and I've pretty much settled on a Carrier 1.5 t non inverter.
eh, is that anecdotal evidence? because we have been using inverter ACs since 2015 and aside from our Daikin's (bought in 2015) fan unit's PCB getting ****ed up, there has been no issues whatsoever, in fact non-inverter ACs are pretty much useless here, granted we have exclusively used Mitsubishi and Daikin and they both are on the higher end

i am pretty much in the inverter ac boat. Already have 2 split 1.5ton AC's and very happy. But got no idea about the inverter window AC's. How they perform, there wattage use. that's what i want to know? My split ac go lowest to 400watts

I still got a window ac loyally serving us since last 22 yrs and must say its cooling starts the moment its powered-on unlike the slow split ones.
eh? this is just a placebo, compressors always take 4-5 minutes to spin up to prevent short cycling, if it really were spinning up as soon as it got electricity, the ac would have crapped the bed years ago but yeah older ACs are built like a tank, we used to have an O'General bought in 2002, and we sold that in 2014 to a hotel, and that piece of shit is still working in that hotel lol

eh, is that anecdotal evidence?
stuff i've read, so anecdotal, yes.

in fact non-inverter ACs are pretty much useless here
i've got no strong feelings one way or another, but i'm curious as to how you define useless? what criteria are you using? to my understanding, the only difference is power usage and how efficient they are in regulating compressor power draw.
Side note: It's "general" and not "o-general" right? According to the website it seems to be just "General" or "Fujitsu General"
1716918419029.png

i've got no strong feelings one way or another, but i'm curious as to how you define useless? what criteria are you using? to my understanding, the only difference is power usage and how efficient they are in regulating compressor power draw.
ok, so useless came out a bit strong but in my case it really was but then I'm a weirdo who can't sleep at night with ac running at lower temps without getting sick in the morning, non inverter ACs run at fixed speeds it's either on or off and once the compressor turns off, it'll easily take 4-5 minutes to spin back up while for inverter ACs, it just reduces the speed, so in summers if you set a higher temp, the kon inverter ones would quickly hit those temps and spin down which was a huge PITA because the room used to get hot before the compressor came back on and God forbid if you had electricity cuts. you were guaranteed to not get a good sleep those nights, so basically inverter ACs shine in maintaining temps which is particularly useful for weirdos like me
Side note: It's "general" and not "o-general" right? According to the website it seems to be just "General" or "Fujitsu General"
View attachment 198048
yeah you are right, it's Fujitsu General but it's always been called O'General and I'm not sure why

so basically inverter ACs shine in maintaining temps which is particularly useful for weirdos like me
Exactly right. This is the biggest advantage of inverter models along with the lower power draw over the fixed speed ones. Regarding the PCB failure, yes, failures are there of course, and company official service will cost a bomb too, but I'm told that third party pcb replacement parts are quite cheap and they work fine.
Someone must confirm this though. I haven't bothered to enquire from my ac mechanic who seems hellbent to favour a fixed speed over inverter. Every time I wanted to upgrade ours to inverter he said NO NO like angry annoyed no.

Ok so I just had another look, and now I'm leaning towards inverters. The Carrier inverter is 2k more than non inverter, and has a 5 yr PCB warranty plus a 10 yr compressor warranty, vs a 5 yr compressor warranty on the non-inverter. For 2k an extra 5 on the compressor is something I'm willing to go for. About the variable speed or power usage etc. I don't really care all that much. I usually just take a sheet on me at night and keep the ac at around 25-26.
Regarding the PCB failure, yes, failures are there of course, and company official service will cost a bomb too, but I'm told that third party pcb replacement parts are quite cheap and they work fine.
This does give me pause, but honestly I'm not expecting this thing to last me a long time. ACs are just built for planned obsolescence, like most other things. If I can get a warranty on the PCB for 5 years, and an extra 5 on the much more expensive compressor, I think I'm ok with the possibility of eating the cost of a replacement PCB in that +5yr to +10yr gap.
Someone must confirm this though. I haven't bothered to enquire from my ac mechanic who seems hellbent to favour a fixed speed over inverter.
I would like to know the reasoning though, if you can find out and if he's willing to say.

For some, it might just be that he's not experienced with those and may not be comfortable working on them; stuck in the old ways so to speak. Or,
a. there might be more failures in inverter types - this goes to warranty and not to him
b. there might be less failures in inverter types - again, less work for him

For both scenarios mechanics have a vested interest in not driving inverter type uptake.

How much gap you are talking about?? I had to take carpenters help to the build frame around sliding window to fix the AC. After installation i remember there was only space of 1mm thick sunmica to push through the gaps . The material used was wood. The other time it was through a builder provided cut out in wall, plywood was used here & there was hardly any gap left to fill.
Sorry I had missed this. Currently there's a 1.5T installed in there; it's a 32in x 24in opening, and there's about 5-6 inches of space on the top and right side of the AC. the AC is pretty much aligned with the lower left corner of the space.

Last edited:
So again, if anyone has any idea about 1.5ton window inverter AC's. How good are they wrt split inverters as i see that a 3star window inverter takes around 1200-1260 units a year vs a split 1.5 ton inverter which takes 920-960units a year as per ratings.

Non-inverter AC is old tech at this point, anyone who is looking to buy AC right now, just get the inverter AC, it's superior, the smooth non oscillating cooling is worth it, and make sure to get at least 1.5 ton AC, even if you get the bigger one, it will not run at higher wattage most of the time.

Massive energy savings with inverter AC as compared to non-inverter.

If you can and have time, learn to do your AC service by yourself, it's easier than it looks like, if you have the DIY instinct.

Number one cause of inverter AC failure is the inexperienced service guys, pressure washing the outdoor unit and spinning the Fan at higher RPM using the water stream, the fan generates high reverse voltage inside the board and fries it.

Exactly right. This is the biggest advantage of inverter models along with the lower power draw over the fixed speed ones. Regarding the PCB failure, yes, failures are there of course, and company official service will cost a bomb too, but I'm told that third party pcb replacement parts are quite cheap and they work fine.
eh? most PCB failures occur because peeps dont have proper stabilizers etc for their ACs, only time our Daikin's external fan assembly's PCB failed was when we ran it on a faulty stabilizer and a huge surge occurred, if you live in an apartment then you are mostly covered anyways and can just make do a with a stabiliser, but in a home, get at least a servo stabilizer for your mains and a separate one for your AC, thats what we've done and that servo has been a godsent, even aside from ACs, our other electronics like Bulbs etc have had their lifespan increased by a lot and if you are really paranoid, get a relay for your AC too, thats how its done at our home. I dont know much about it, my father handles that but most failures occur when peeps fail to properly protect their electronics from surges/fluctuations etc.
Someone must confirm this though. I haven't bothered to enquire from my ac mechanic who seems hellbent to favour a fixed speed over inverter. Every time I wanted to upgrade ours to inverter he said NO NO like angry annoyed no.
Probably a shitty experience with one :D
So again, if anyone has any idea about 1.5ton window inverter AC's. How good are they wrt split inverters as i see that a 3star window inverter takes around 1200-1260 units a year vs a split 1.5 ton inverter which takes 920-960units a year as per ratings.
depends on how hot it is and the temps which you will run it at, ratings come into play when the AC is not struggling to maintain temps, but if its really hot and you have set low temps, there wont be much power savings if any

Back