Netflix crackdown is coming

Highly unlikely it wil happen in India.

Even if that happen - I don't really care. it will save my 163/- per month.
They are projected to lose 2 million subscribers in Q2, so it is inevitable that it will happen in India where I assume a large proportion of their subscribers share accounts.

I suppose they will just force different profiles to have their own account for the equivalent of $3 that they are trialing in Latin America. Basically, get more money out from 4 people than a single shared subscription.

The thing is, this will set precedence for the long term. If today it's Netflix, tomorrow it will be Hotstar, Prime.
Hotstar already has the worst implementation in terms of limiting logins rather than simultaneous viewing. To be fair, that will work better for Netflix by making sharing difficult.

If today it's Netflix, tomorrow it will be Hotstar, Prime.
the pricing difference between NF & other are exponential.
We shouldn't be comparing them, at all. a typical Indian middle class wont think for paying 12-1500/- per year, nf costs ~8k/yr and its not laying any golden eggs.. all the interested series i care will be in India at least 6-8 month post US/EU release .

They are projected to lose 2 million subscribers in Q2, so it is inevitable that it will happen in India where I assume a large proportion of their subscribers share accounts.
The article is talking about US & Canada only. No mention of India at all.

Microsoft took it easy in the past with all the piracy and the result is they own the Indian market and have an endless pool of talent to develop their software because that's what people know in this country ;)
I suppose they will just force different profiles to have their own account for the equivalent of $3 that they are trialing in Latin America. Basically, get more money out from 4 people than a single shared subscription.
You can connect the dots and speculate but let's wait and see.

Who else can credibly compete with Netflix right now. Any takers ?

The startup economy has been working on one philosophy for over a decade, get people hooked to a service and eliminate competition by offering low prices, then increase prices.

Except, they are never able to increase prices because there are always more companies with oodles of money waiting to do the same thing.

This is the reason why Ola and Uber seemed so promising initially, but now their service has gone to hell and we also don't have the local taxi services we used to have.

As long as startups keep starting businesses without a proper business plan, promising astronomical growth to their angel investors with no clear path to profit, we'll keep seeing anti-consumer behaviour of this sort. Hope sometime in the future we'll move back to a world where you needed to have a sustainable business plan before starting a business.

The industry pretty much saw that the convenience of having everything available on a single platform, Netflix, greatly reduced piracy. And yet they went ahead and fragmented the market once more with multitude of streaming services, when they could have just worked out a system of addon channels, like Prime does.

Or they can make programmes available on multiple platforms, just like most music is available on multiple platforms.

But everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too. If the entertainment industry as a whole is so intent on self-sabotage, who are we, as consumers, to say no to it.

The startup economy has been working on one philosophy for over a decade, get people hooked to a service and eliminate competition by offering low prices, then increase prices.

Except, they are never able to increase prices because there are always more companies with oodles of money waiting to do the same thing.

This is the reason why Ola and Uber seemed so promising initially, but now their service has gone to hell and we also don't have the local taxi services we used to have.

As long as startups keep starting businesses without a proper business plan, promising astronomical growth to their angel investors with no clear path to profit, we'll keep seeing anti-consumer behaviour of this sort. Hope sometime in the future we'll move back to a world where you needed to have a sustainable business plan before starting a business.
Had bad experience at mumbai airport after a long time. Almost every driver wanted the booking through app, but travel and payment outside it.

But still a lot better than the pre ola, meru days. Then you used to get the feeling of landing in sub saharan region. They didn't even have a pre paid counter.

The local taxi guy still exists. We are the ones unable to break the habit.

Old but relevant once again.
P.S. I've somehow never paid for any OTT service ever except for Amazon Prime, that too just for the e-com benefits.

d3423w2g5ur21.jpg

Looks like it's time to fallback to popcorntime app cuz **** them I ain't paying without sharing. It's too costly for what it offers and for what little I consume.

I am happy I took efforts to setup my RPi 4 with qbittorrent, sonarr and all which has made automatic downloading of stuff a breeze. I do share a netflix sub but many things I still download even if it is from Netflix as I like to have speed control.
Netflix app does have speed control but it is only 1.25 and 1.5 while I like more granular control.

This is ages old practice, being done by oil barons of 1800s and even before.
Competition is good. But common public is too naive/ shortsighted to see these things for what they are.
Old but relevant once again.
P.S. I've somehow never paid for any OTT service ever except for Amazon Prime, that too just for the e-com benefits.

d3423w2g5ur21.jpg
I have paid for hotstar for guess what, the final season of GoT

Back