Netflix crackdown is coming

The article is talking about US & Canada only. No mention of India at all.

Microsoft took it easy in the past with all the piracy and the result is they own the Indian market and have an endless pool of talent to develop their software because that's what people know in this country ;)

You can connect the dots and speculate but let's wait and see.

Who else can credibly compete with Netflix right now. Any takers ?
The article does not mention India because the CEO did not mention India. He only did so in the past in terms of growth because the subscriber base is quite small which you can imagine at their asking price in India.

As far as competing with Netflix goes, it depends on your taste I suppose. A lot of people are only interested in some big budget releases on Netflix. For every watchable show, there are 10 unwatchable ones on Netflix. People kept auto-renewing it because it was cheap in the developed countries and it also had a lot of third-party content earlier.

With streaming services becoming like channels and with the high inflation, people are making choices about what they need and it seems Netflix is definitely not one of the essentials anymore. Disney+, HBO Max are better propositions for most people in those countries at a lesser price and most are inclined to pay for live sports at a minimum, as rest can still be obtained from alternate channels.

I hardly watch Netflix for single digit hours in a week, so it has never been worthwhile but for the fact that I use it for free because of this specific loophole.

there was an update lately, it seems they are happy with Indian userbase and its growing as per their latest statement.
This crackdown is likely to be in US region only.
Vague statements like nice uptick are generally not very assuring, as otherwise companies like to boast in an earnings call. They still need the subscriber count from somewhere, so they will indeed not be that aggressive in APAC markets. But they only earn 1/5th from APAC as a whole compared to US & Canada, so the subscriber drop over there is more dangerous for the company, as revenue from elsewhere will not be enough for the company to sustain itself. Less earnings means lesser investments in original content, and then it becomes a vicious circle.

netflix poor dude.png
This poor dude lol

Surprised it took this long, their content has been crap for years now.
Underrated comment. With the amount of salaries they pay their popular actors and still crappy shows I don't know how they can remain profitable and sustainable for long.

After I picked up the 14 services bundle on JIO TV, I realized that I actually do not need Netflix. I was part of a shared pool--which we are dissolving due to members moving to other parts of the World. Netflix was all the hype when they came in (maybe) due to the over priced subscription. I can hardly remember any great content, well maybe Mosul.

Even though I'm paying to share Ultra netflix pack, the Netflix app doesn't work in full quality on any of our smart phones and it doesn't work at all on our smart TVs.

Only my computer can play the Netflix in its full glory only because I'm using a chrome extension. I don't like Netflix windows store app because it has very bad quality audio.

By my estimate, about 70-80% android devices in this world are banned from using Netflix by Netflix itself.

Even though I'm paying to share Ultra netflix pack, the Netflix app doesn't work in full quality on any of our smart phones and it doesn't work at all on our smart TVs.

Only my computer can play the Netflix in its full glory only because I'm using a chrome extension. I don't like Netflix windows store app because it has very bad quality audio.

By my estimate, about 70-80% android devices in this world are banned from using Netflix by Netflix itself.

What phone do you have? I am sure if you have L1 DRM then you should be able to play upto 1080p even on phone. About TV, if you have some random brand TV then it may also not have L1 DRM and that would have prevented any sort of HD playback.

What phone do you have? I am sure if you have L1 DRM then you should be able to play upto 1080p even on phone. About TV, if you have some random brand TV then it may also not have L1 DRM and that would have prevented any sort of HD playback.
Mobile : poco f1. It has L1 but Netflix is limited to SD.
TV: MITV 4A. It has L1 but Netflix doesn't open.

Other devices are older.

Mobile : poco f1. It has L1 but Netflix is limited to SD.
TV: MITV 4A. It has L1 but Netflix doesn't open.

Other devices are older.
Did a little search on internet and seems apps like DRM info will tell it is L1 but Netflix app under playback specifications will show L3. I guess there is no fix.
I used to have MITv 4A pro and Netflix used to work but since I don't like android TVs and prefer amazon fire os based TVs, I sold it and bought Amazon Basics Fire OS Based tv. That plays everything on Netflix in HD / Full HD.

I used to have MITv 4A pro and Netflix used to work
Yeah. Pro came later and had sorted the software.

Netflix doesn't run on my non-pro MITV 4A because the Xiaomi didn't pay the Netflix. Most people aren't aware that like how customers pay for Netflix subscription, the manufacturers need to pay Netflix to certify their devices regularly. And if they don't pay regularly, the certification will expire which will make Netflix ban the device. We had a community of some programmers who would hack into the Netflix app to make it run on these devices but none of the hacks last more than a month as Netflix keeps banning the workarounds. Now, we have accepted the defeat and stopped bothering. Amnis is a really awesome app for the TV.

Yeah. Pro came later and had sorted the software.

Netflix doesn't run on my non-pro MITV 4A because the Xiaomi didn't pay the Netflix. Most people aren't aware that like how customers pay for Netflix subscription, the manufacturers need to pay Netflix to certify their devices regularly. And if they don't pay regularly, the certification will expire which will make Netflix ban the device. We had a community of some programmers who would hack into the Netflix app to make it run on these devices but none of the hacks last more than a month as Netflix keeps banning the workarounds. Now, we have accepted the defeat and stopped bothering. Amnis is a really awesome app for the TV.
From what I had read in the past, manufacturers need to apply to Netflix for certification and provide a device. They don't specifically charge for it but they have a requirement that the remote should have a dedicated Netflix button (if it is a TV). Netflix usually doesn't bother with devices that have a limited reach or in some cases manufacturers don't bother shipping devices not sold in the US and that is the reason that products from some Chinese OEM devices don't work at 1080p, even with Widevine L1 DRM.

the irony of netflix is if they make profit so does AWS ,Netflix runs on AWS .Same with Hotstar until amazon or another deep pocketed player tries to march their content . i dont know what special rates does amazon give to netflix but it would be so difficult to make profits when the passwords are shared and netflix would be charged for each each gb being egressed from AWS

Microsoft will swoop it up or google could do a double with youtube.

the irony of netflix is if they make profit so does AWS ,Netflix runs on AWS .Same with Hotstar until amazon or another deep pocketed player tries to march their content . i dont know what special rates does amazon give to netflix but it would be so difficult to make profits when the passwords are shared and netflix would be charged for each each gb being egressed from AWS

Microsoft will swoop it up or google could do a double with youtube.
Netflix doesn't use AWS for streaming/delivery of the actual content itself, that is handled by Netflix directly along with their CDN nodes they deploy at most ISPs network, further reducing the cost

From what I had read in the past, manufacturers need to apply to Netflix for certification and provide a device. They don't specifically charge for it but they have a requirement that the remote should have a dedicated Netflix button (if it is a TV). Netflix usually doesn't bother with devices that have a limited reach or in some cases manufacturers don't bother shipping devices not sold in the US and that is the reason that products from some Chinese OEM devices don't work at 1080p, even with Widevine L1 DRM.
The TVs I have mentioned mentioned are some of the most sold TV in India. There are lacs of reviews if not 10s of lacs reviews for 4A models. There were developer communities dedicated to this lineup. Many youtube reviewers grew their channels by reviewing these TVs. So no limited reach.

Netflix does charge for the certification off course and it also expires if the manufacturer doesn't keep paying. Your device could be certified today but can become non-certified tomorrow. Happened with my mobile.

About TVs not working at native resolution, you will find some Sony, samsung do that as well. It's not worth it to run UI at native resolution so many TVs drop resolution when they are not playing the video.
the irony of netflix is if they make profit so does AWS ,Netflix runs on AWS .
Netflix started off AWS but like Rahan said, Netflix has moved away from AWS and now they use their own network to deliver the content. Fraction of it still uses AWS, I heard.

The TVs I have mentioned mentioned are some of the most sold TV in India. There are lacs of reviews if not 10s of lacs reviews for 4A models. There were developer communities dedicated to this lineup. Many youtube reviewers grew their channels by reviewing these TVs. So no limited reach.

Netflix does charge for the certification off course and it also expires if the manufacturer doesn't keep paying. Your device could be certified today but can become non-certified tomorrow. Happened with my mobile.
You get a glimpse of the certification process below. Netflix does the certification for devices submitted by partners and also purchases it off the shelf when needed, doing regular audits after firmware/software updates. The Mi TVs are not sold in North America and they don't care about how many Mi TVs are in use in the developing countries. In this case, the onus would be on Xiaomi to get the device certified and probably they didn't bother because of the expenses involved. That is also the reason that a large number of L1 certified Chinese Android STBs don't support Netflix at 1080p because Netflix does not bother responding to them even when they share the sales figures, which is what I read one Chinese manufacturer mention in a forum.

You get a glimpse of the certification process below. Netflix does the certification for devices submitted by partners and also purchases it off the shelf when needed. The Mi TVs are not sold in North America and they don't care about how many Mi TVs are in use in the developing countries. In this case, the onus would be on Xiaomi to get the device certified and probably they didn't bother because of the expenses involved. That is also the reason that a large number of L1 certified Chinese Android STBs don't support Netflix at 1080p because Netflix does not bother responding to them even when they share the sales figures, which is what I read one Chinese manufacturer mention in a forum.

cant people simply cast netflix from phone ? does netflix not work that way on 1080p ?

Back