Netflix launches in India, Starts at 500/mo

I have a 2mbps plan (switched to ssv from tikona) and when I start a video on Netflix, I get normal 200kb/s speed, but after the video plays, speed goes up to 800-900kb/s. But still the quality of the video is crap.
Tried going to acc settings and changing quality to high and also that Ctrl+shify+alt+s thing, but still its bad

Post #1
Internet Connection Speed Recommendations
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

The most strangest thing was my SBI Debit card getting accepted. I have not created 3D secure password for my card though![DOUBLEPOST=1452168170][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's your internet speed? ISP?

Actually, Netflix will be charging you in USD, so it wont ask for 3D secure/2FA password.

I asked for ISP name and you are..

I was able to load 1080P videos at 4Mbps? How? ISP has cache of youtube or probably peers with Google. With the same speed i cannot watch FULL HD videos on vimeo or any other site for that matter.
What you get is Shared Bandwdith. Also there is thing called Domestic bandwidth and International bandwidth. Say, YouTube has peering agreement with your ISP then the bandwidth is domestic, Which is dirt cheap and that's why you see 100mbps youtube speed promise by Few. Here Netflix is serving data from Singapore which is international. Let me know about Your ISP so that i can comment more.

There's is no guarantee that you're getting even 5mbps properly. Using Youtube for comparison is not proper as most of the ISP's peer or Cache Google stuff.

Here's the thing.

I get full b/w while using Steam (Sing server) so Singapore is a non-issue. Ditto for Origin, GOG & GG (USA & UK) and downloads from pretty much anywhere (C-net etc.).

My b/w rarely (and this is VERY RARELY say once a month for 10-15 minutes) drops to 4 MBps. Usually its always maxed out.

My ISP is a local ISP although it supports FTH which is what I have -

http://tripleplay.in/tariff.php

As I said earlier, the Netflix content Streams just fine in terms of -SPEED-, meaning it runs smoothly without any buffering or interruption. If it was a b/w issue, I would see buffering/stalling.

There is absolutely none.

It plays back just continuously and without interruption.

However its the QUALITY of the video that's very poor which is what I found extremely disappointing.

Lets wait for more users to post their feedback...

Here's the thing.

I get full b/w while using Steam (Sing server) so Singapore is a non-issue. Ditto for Origin, GOG & GG (USA & UK) and downloads from pretty much anywhere (C-net etc.).

My b/w rarely (and this is VERY RARELY say once a month for 10-15 minutes) drops to 4 MBps. Usually its always maxed out.

My ISP is a local ISP although it supports FTH which is what I have -

http://tripleplay.in/tariff.php

As I said earlier, the Netflix content Streams just fine in terms of -SPEED-, meaning it runs smoothly without any buffering or interruption. If it was a b/w issue, I would see buffering/stalling.

There is absolutely none.

It plays back just continuously and without interruption.

However its the QUALITY of the video that's very poor which is what I found extremely disappointing.

Lets wait for more users to post their feedback...
Have you ever noticed a video call having bad images on mobile (pixcelated) when on 3g while the connection is poor? The video only drops when the connection is extremely poor but otherwise it continues seamlessly with pixcelated images :)

PS: Not sure this example is relevant enough but am just trying to explain in whichever way I can :p

Hey guys now you can watch the entire catalogue of content Netflix has to offer in every Country from an app called Smartflix.
icon_biggrin.gif

https://www.smartflix.io/

It has all the options you normally have.

Give it a shot, very legit and lightweight app that runs like the windows 10 Netflix app.

Spoke to the guy on his website, he'll be charging a one time $8 fee after the initial 1st free month.

smartflix.jpg

Also

Netlfix in Google Chrome and Firefox only play in 720p

Safari and Microsoft Edge can go upto 1080p (So can the Windows Netflix app)

Here are some shortcuts to override Netflix's default video quality and content server settings

Once you start playing a Movie or TV Show

Press -

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S = Video bitrate, Audio Bitrate and Content Server Override Toggles, (5800 being the highest video bitrate which is 1080p)

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D = overlay Info about the same stuff above and more, you can see the various bitrates corresponding to the resolutions.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Its working pretty okay for me via the windows app. Here's the quality

Hmm looks 480p'ish could be 720p

Check on top for overriding the default quality settings I posted. They dramatically improve the quality once you go from 480p to 720p

1080p looks as good as any pure blu ray rip.

I started OITNB is streamed in 5.1 pretty well on my 8 Mbps connection on both PC and PS4 Netflix app. As far as content goes I meant library though it's good to see that Netflix has said that they would broadcast US censored version.

It's a good start. Will try to post some screenshots. Haven't browsed through the entire library yet. I already have 3-4 1 TB HDDs. Atleast I can limit my HDD collection to selective Movies, Music.

Netlfix in Google Chrome and Firefox only play in 720p

Thanks for that info as I wasn't aware of this. I was watching via Chrome.
In any case, the content I watched didn't look anywhere near 720p - more like poorly up-scaled 480p.

Here are some shortcuts to override Netflix's default video quality and content server settings

Will try those options tomorrow and post back here with any new info.
Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1452196704][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its working pretty okay for me via the windows app.

Are you referring to this app or some other -
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/netflix/9wzdncrfj3tj

If so, I'm not sure it will work on Win 7 (which is my current OS) as the store page states -
"To use this app on your PC, upgrade to Windows 10."

Last edited:
Hey guys now you can watch the entire catalogue of content Netflix has to offer in every Country from an app called Smartflix.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know how "legit" that app is.
Although Smatflix states "Smartflix does not host or stream any movies or TV shows" it does go on to state it uses a "optimized proxy service" along with "a chromeless web browser that embeds the Netflix web player"

Considering Netflix apparently doesn't like people using VPN's (and I assume Proxies as well) to circumvent Geo restrictions -
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42429/netflix-waging-war-against-vpn-users/index.html

Netflix has gone on record to state -
"Netflix simply uses industry standard methods to prevent illegal VPN use,” the company said."

If using a VPN to access content is in violation of Netflix's TOS then I somehow doubt they will be thrilled by users using "3rd party apps" like Smartflix that appear to utilize Proxies to get around Geo restrictions either. Or am I missing something here?

Also, there's this bit that's hardly very encouraging although it is a US ruling and possibly invalid in India -
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/08/21/proxies-illegal/1

Then again I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with video streaming services...

Last edited:
Guys,

Can someone who is using Netflix on Win 7 help me out a bit?

I tried what zibalingz posted above. For some reason, my "default" bitrate was set to absolute crap despite having set "Playback settings to HIGH" in Netflix.

Now that issue is addressed (Thanks @zibalingz) however I'm having another issue that also appears to be affecting quality that I would appreciate someone checking up on.

No matter what I do, the Res of the video refuses to shift from 640x480!

No wonder its looking bad as my monitor is Full HD and its having to stretch the image in full screen mode.

I seriously doubt this is "NORMAL" and its probably the reason why I have been saying the video quality is looking so bad.

I would assume the steam should be at least 1280x720 (HD) (or higher, depending on the source content of course) but it isn't. See screen-cap below -
AHCc3vU.jpg

Note that I am on Win 7-64 and using Chrome to view Netflix.

Going to try out Firefox in a bit and see if that helps.

Any advice appreciated.[DOUBLEPOST=1452242021][/DOUBLEPOST]

Tried FF - and managed to get 480p though in a very strange way!

When I use "Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S" to change servers while watching a stream, the Res changes as well. So for one server I get 512x while for another I get 640x480 and on a 3rd I managed to finally get 480p but never beyond that as it seems to be a FF/Chrome limitation. :(

Currently downloading IE 11 & Silverlight to test that out...[DOUBLEPOST=1452247525][/DOUBLEPOST]Installed IE 11 & Silverlight.

Now its allowing 720p streams and setting of higher bit rates as well providing more info than while using FF/Chrome.

Quality has improved several times over and looks decent now.

Last edited:
FYI, use Netflix Brazil to signup Basic Pack costs only ₹330(R$19.9),standard - ₹378(R$22.9),Premium - ₹494(R$29.99)

TIP: You can share the Premium pack with 4 persons so the premium costs only ₹123.5(per person) which is equal/lower to the price of cable tv in India

Back