New phone in a budget of 25-30k

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of buying a new phone. My only requirement is that I should be able to use Chat, Email, Text, Browse on phone easily. Multimedia Capabilities are not that much important :hap5: However I would love to have a Good primary cam and a secondary cam for video calling if possible. Battery life should also be good.

I am considering following phone in that order:

1. Blackberry Bold 3 9780 - Loved the QWERTY key board of my present BB Curve. Now real-time Facebook/Twitter updates in BB OS 6 is just awesome. Battery is very good. Goes 2 days in single charge. But absence of front camera and small screen is a deal breaker for me.

2. Sony Xperia Arc: Loved the sexy sleek design. Big screen, and a f/2.4 primary camera would be awesome (I guess). Only thing I'm worried about this phone is battery life and absence of physical keyboard.

3. HTC Incredible S: Well Sense UI is just awesome. Front camera is a plus. Although I've heard that primary cam is not good. I saw Desire HD and I observed too much sharpness in photos and colors were not reproduced correctly. Again battery life is a concern.

4. HTC Desire Z: Only good thing about this phone is QWERTY keyboard and Sense UI. Everything else is just so so. :huh:

Below is the template filled:

1. Q: Budget?
A: 25 to 30k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: No preference

3. Q: Preferred display type?

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Nokia and Samsung

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: QWERTY

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Require a descent camera with flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Blackberry 9780, SE Xperia Arc, Incredible S, Desire Z

So guys, pour in your suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

went to the SE flagship store at South Ex yesterday and saw the arc and incredible s...the arc was a huge disappointment...looks beautiful from far but when u hold it, it seems plasticky..also the screen looked pathetic in front of my CBD, totally washed-out..that Bravia Engine is a scam...

Also, the HD video playback over HDMI was laggy

Incredible S was much much better...better screen, smoother UI, SENSE!!!

The Samsung guys there told me that the S2 is coming next month...so it makes sense to wait..and save up a little more

Konquerror said:
Well one more point to consider is that what would be the price when these dual core processor equipped phones are launched? If it's out of my budget then there is no point in waiting. Ahh...buying new phone sucks :(
This phone will be above 35k,out of your budget no use waiting for it,but im not sure ,im predicting from the features,the phone has 1080p video recording ,this is the king of all phones man.

From all the early indications, SII would be well above 30k, so think about it....but then, you're not losing anything by waiting for a month...wait for a month, if it's less than 30k go for it, else Incredible S would be a great choice(battery issues not withstanding)

@unreal_ishan How did you get an Incredible S in an SE flagship store? And i guess people would trust gsmarena,what mobile, pocketnow,phonearena and other notable review sites that the opinion of a symbian user.

1. FYI even a Nokia Priority Dealer stocks HTC phones in todays date...

2. The store i went to inspite of being a Sony flagship store, had Moto,Nokia,BB,Samsung and HTC phones...

3. I agree that Nokia is lagging in the SW front with Symbian..but it is still the best hardware maker out there...

4. Please go and read the reviews again...or rather, go and experience the mobile for itself...the SLCD is washed out and has really poor viewing angles...

5. The CBD is touted to be one of the best displays out there...its been compared to the 'legendary' Retina Display, if not better...

FYI its not an SLCD. Its LED Backlit and all reviewers have praised the display. Will be getting my Arc in a couple of days and will post pics here to clear the confusion. Best hardware? You mean except the internals right?(includes proccy,RAM,etc) :p

Well, Symbian is a pretty frugal OS..it doesnt need a GHz proccy and a ton of RAM to make things work...i've never faced any lag/memory low errors on my phone...even while multitasking heavily..

and by hardware, i mean the make and finish of the entire phone..and its internals..if check the actual specs, u'll realise the advantages...

anyway...best of luck for ur Arc purchase...a friend of mine is buying it next week too :)

Ok guys...here I what I have decided...I am getting Samsung Vibrant for 15k from this forum it self...will use it for 2-3 months...and then will sell it off...and get a dual core phone when prices settle down...that's the best plan IMO...what do you think?

^bad idea. On the long run you will be spending more. Get a single core phone now and sell it off after 6-9 months when the dual core phones are actually utilized. Unless dual core phones become mainstream no developer would spend money on developing apps or games that cater to such a sparse market. And trust me, you wont be missing anything. If at all, the dual cores will be replaced by quad cores and the prices of these phones will come down. :)

catcherintherye said:
^bad idea. On the long run you will be spending more. Get a single core phone now and sell it off after 6-9 months when the dual core phones are actually utilized. Unless dual core phones become mainstream no developer would spend money on developing apps or games that cater to such a sparse market. And trust me, you wont be missing anything. If at all, the dual cores will be replaced by quad cores and the prices of these phones will come down. :)

Ok...instead of 2-3 months...I'll use it for 6-9 months...will buy a dual core phone then...I needed phone urgently as my present phone looses signal every now and then and callers hear the message of "Phone not reachable". Thanks a lot guys for suggestions :)

aercy said:
Samsung Vibrant & Galaxy S are equivalent, right?
Yup almost same,the Vibrant lacks front cam i think.and of course, the warranty. :) Its a good decision since the new gen is being released, so not much point in shelling out anything in the 30k range for current gen.

Yes, I am getting a Samsung Vibrant which has same hardware as Samsung Galaxy S sans front camera...which I'm not going to use anyway. I liked the looks of Vibrant more than Galaxy S. The button at the bottom of Galaxy S looks ugly. Otherwise I would have gone for New Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 for 20k which is also same as Galaxy S except having Super LCD screen instead of AMOLED screen. Will upgrade in near future to a better dual core phone. Till then Vibrant will work for me :)

Konquerror said:
Yes, I am getting a Samsung Vibrant which has same hardware as Samsung Galaxy S sans front camera...which I'm not going to use anyway. I liked the looks of Vibrant more than Galaxy S. The button at the bottom of Galaxy S looks ugly. Otherwise I would have gone for New Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 for 20k which is also same as Galaxy S except having Super LCD screen instead of AMOLED screen. Will upgrade in near future to a better dual core phone. Till then Vibrant will work for me :)
They are not the same. i9000 has a superior SGX540 GPU whereas the i9003 has dated SGX530 GPU. (Even Moto Charam that costs 11k has the same GPU)

Ok... here is some dough. Optimus X2 will be available in third week of April. Optimus Black in May 15. MRP is Rs 30,000 and Rs 27,000...street price could be 2 to 3K less.

Xperia arc and Play are already available. And Samsung is going to have a blast this April 13... can't give details but flagship is buzzword. So I believe people planning to buy high-end Android will do well to wait for a week or two.

DarkAngel said:
They are not the same. i9000 has a superior SGX540 GPU whereas the i9003 has dated SGX530 GPU. (Even Moto Charam that costs 11k has the same GPU)
now the good part, no game still uses that horsepower(on android), soo the games will run fine.

And the future hardware intensive games will either be to stress the new dual-core chipsets or tegra 2(since there is no other practical use on a mobile phone currently for such powerful chips)

Back