Android Nexus 5 thread

Hi guys ,
Now that I have bought the N5 , I need some help in doing a couple of things . I come from a basic phone and this is my 1st android device , so please bare with me :)
1. How do I transfer videos from my PC ? I tried rightclick -> send to N5 and it said "this video may not play in ur deivce ,etc" ? I tried .avi and mp4 and got the same message for both . Suggest me the best player to play 1080p videos and lower.
2. How do I read ebooks and store them in a place only I have access to ? Do I need an app to read pdf files ?
3. How do I buy apps without a credit card when my axis bank debit card is not accepted ?

Thanks in advance

1) You can copy the data to your phone even if it says that your phone might not be able to play it. Then download MX Player from Play Store and run any format you want to.
2) For locking or hiding folders on you device memory you can search for apps on play store there are many. Try and check which suits you best. And for reading PDF files use Adobe reader.
3) You can't without an ICICI debit card or some credit card because of 3D secure restrictions.

Hi guys ,
Now that I have bought the N5 , I need some help in doing a couple of things . I come from a basic phone and this is my 1st android device , so please bare with me :)
1. How do I transfer videos from my PC ? I tried rightclick -> send to N5 and it said "this video may not play in ur deivce ,etc" ? I tried .avi and mp4 and got the same message for both . Suggest me the best player to play 1080p videos and lower.
2. How do I read ebooks and store them in a place only I have access to ? Do I need an app to read pdf files ?
3. How do I buy apps without a credit card when my axis bank debit card is not accepted ?

Thanks in advance
You can also use Airdroid app for transferring wirelessly.

Hey everyone...... congrats to everyone buying this phone..... am also looking to buying the N5...... I am new to Android so asking a question......
Is there an app like Samsung AllShare on it pre-installed??....... Coz I frequently watch content stored on PC thru Media Servers on my current phone(3yr old Samsung Wave)........
I found out on the net tht app named "Bubbleupnp" will do the same job as "Allshare"....... along with MX player....... will tht work on the N5???

Hey everyone...... congrats to everyone buying this phone..... am also looking to buying the N5...... I am new to Android so asking a question......
Is there an app like Samsung AllShare on it pre-installed??....... Coz I frequently watch content stored on PC thru Media Servers on my current phone(3yr old Samsung Wave)........
I found out on the net tht app named "Bubbleupnp" will do the same job as "Allshare"....... along with MX player....... will tht work on the N5???

It will sure work why doubts

I just learned how to create folder in android. But they are all in my home screen . I just made a folder for the apps I'll least be using and I don't want it in my homescreen .
How do I move it to the last page of apps ? I don't want to uninstall those apps.

Simply the best phone ever tbh. If someone get's me note 3, z1 , 1020, g2, will keep g2 and sell others and keep the money or will buy another nexus 5 but this time with white color :p (I love black btw, just that white will be cool too )

Simply the best phone ever tbh. If someone get's me note 3, z1 , 1020, g2, will keep g2 and sell others and keep the money or will buy another nexus 5 but this time with white color :p (I love black btw, just that white will be cool too )
you want people to gift you
NOTE 3
SONY Z1
NOKIA 1020
LG G2

then you will keep G2 then you will sell the rest?
then again from the money you will buy a WHITE NEXUS 5!!

i mean what kind of imagination is all that??
did you get a orgasm with that?? lol
just kidding

but keep it up someday you can be a writer ;)

No , when I create a folder , it shows in the home screen . I want it to show with the apps as another app (folder app). I don't want it cluttering my home screen.
You mean you want to create folder inside app drawer? If yes, you can't do it with stock launcher. You will need to buy a launcher like Nova Prime. Paid version allows you to create folders as well as pages/groups inside app drawer. You could also try apex launcher and see if it's free version allows you to create folders inside app drawer.

Yeah if you want to make a folder inside app drawer then it is not possible with the stock launcher as the guy above said. But try with go launcher pro from play store, it's free. It might enable you to do that.

you want people to gift you
NOTE 3
SONY Z1
NOKIA 1020
LG G2

then you will keep G2 then you will sell the rest?
then again from the money you will buy a WHITE NEXUS 5!!

i mean what kind of imagination is all that??
did you get a orgasm with that?? lol
just kidding

but keep it up someday you can be a writer ;)

You kinda didn't get me or probably I didn't write it well.. Anyways, mail point, nexus 5 rocks.

Help me here guys, planning to go nexus way this time around. Have few reservations.

1. I'll be jumping from iPhone 4. What all things will I be forgoing and what all things I would be getting. (Battery, Performance, Camera)
2. Does Google have something like iCloud where the phone gets backed up every charge if connected to WiFi. If not then whats the best way to backup the phone.
3. If compared to a S4 whats better other then the latest stock android. Not considering the price here.
4. If one has the money then whats the best smartphone to buy amongst these S4, 5S, N5, HTC One, G2

Do I have to send everything without a folder to my N5 from my PC ? I want to have TV shows , podcasts , music , short clips ,etc and I don't want them all mixed up inside my phone .
What do you guys do ?

Last edited:
Help me here guys, planning to go nexus way this time around. Have few reservations.

1. I'll be jumping from iPhone 4. What all things will I be forgoing and what all things I would be getting. (Battery, Performance, Camera)
2. Does Google have something like iCloud where the phone gets backed up every charge if connected to WiFi. If not then whats the best way to backup the phone.
3. If compared to a S4 whats better other then the latest stock android. Not considering the price here.
4. If one has the money then whats the best smartphone to buy amongst these S4, 5S, N5, HTC One, G2

1) Oh boy. Coming from an i4 you will definitely miss battery life. Camera will be at par or better depending on which phone you use. N5 will have a smooth buttery experience so I don't think you will miss that part of the iOs experience that much. Can't say the same about other phones with manufacturer's own skins especially TW.
2) Nothing beats a Nandroid backup, though you can use Titanium Backup as well if you just wanna backup your apps.
3) This is well documented in the Nexus 5 thread. If you don't need the latest version and could care less for Vanilla Android, the N5 is not the phone for you.
4)Vanilla Android - N5
Skins - HTC One(personal preference), G2, Z1, S4( I can't stand TW anymore and that's the only reason for rating it the last).
iOs - iPhone 5 ( not the 5s).
Windows - Lumia 1520, 1020.

Frankly Windows phones have started to interest me again. I love their UI and the same UI is common in the apps which gives a very unified feeling. Nokia build quality and battery life is superb. Cameras are world class. I am definitely gunning for either a 1520 or a 1020 as a secondary phone once prices drop under $300 in US.

Chiming in with another opinion -
1. Battery life and camera will probably be worse than the iPhone. I say probably because I used an iPhone 4 for a couple of months and wasn't extremely impressed with the photos it took. Then again I don't care for the camera on phones so I didn't do any in depth testing. The battery should easily get you through the day though, unless you game heavily for a few hours. Performance wise, there's no contest. The iPhone 4 is showing its age so the N5 would be significantly faster, with a much higher resolution to boot.

2. Google will automatically backup your contacts and app data (settings), but if you do a factory reset, it will download the apps again from the Play Store. This is usually good enough for me, but you can also look at Titanium backup as mentioned above.

3. Faster processor, better looks and build quality (IMO), first to get software updates.

4. If you don't care about looks, I'd say LG G2, else the Nexus 5. The 5S is also a good device if you like Apple's ecosystem. I don't. My personal pick out of all these phones would be the Nexus 5.

Chiming in with another opinion -
1. Battery life and camera will probably be worse than the iPhone. I say probably because I used an iPhone 4 for a couple of months and wasn't extremely impressed with the photos it took. Then again I don't care for the camera on phones so I didn't do any in depth testing. The battery should easily get you through the day though, unless you game heavily for a few hours. Performance wise, there's no contest. The iPhone 4 is showing its age so the N5 would be significantly faster, with a much higher resolution to boot.

2. Google will automatically backup your contacts and app data (settings), but if you do a factory reset, it will download the apps again from the Play Store. This is usually good enough for me, but you can also look at Titanium backup as mentioned above.

3. Faster processor, better looks and build quality (IMO), first to get software updates.

4. If you don't care about looks, I'd say LG G2, else the Nexus 5. The 5S is also a good device if you like Apple's ecosystem. I don't. My personal pick out of all these phones would be the Nexus 5.

1. You meant better then the iPhone I believe. Also I am into cameras. Not that I take a lot of pics but I keep my phone for a long time(Using iPhone 4 since last 3+ years now) and would like to keep the next phone I buy for almost this much time. Battery life of the iPhone has just started to show its age and still I can make it work for almost an entire day. Regarding the camera I really now want a much better camera then the iPhone 4. At least twice as better if not thrice. I mean it should be able to capture in low light and should be able to capture @1080p with decent frame rates and should have good burst mode capabilities. Pictures should come out sharp and should capture natural colours. I know thats asking too much but I would really appreciate a good camera.

2. I have used Titanium backup and the thing is that it works well when the phone is rooted. My main problem is backup of SMS and photos. Rest all is ok.

3. When talking about looks I really don't feel that it matters too much for me. I use my phone in a case and most of it gets covered by the case itself hence the looks part is somewhat irrelevant.

4. The thing is that I have been into the Apple ecosystem for quite sometime now. I own a iPhone, iPad and MBA apart from my dad who is also on an iPhone and there is another iPad which has be bought within couple of months down the line. The thing is though the new ad by Google (The reunion one) has totally sold me on an Andriod experience(Yup!, Call me a sucker). Off late iOS has become gimmick while Android has become simpler. Google Now is in and Siri is forgotten. Another reason for not buying an iPhone is the screen size. Rest all is good.

Any news on when google is planning to push out a camera fix for N5.

Back