Android Nexus 5 thread

N5 available in ebay for 35k
one seller from Bangalore selling it for a whopping 45k, he has the phone in hand
well this is what happens when supply doesn't meet demand, overpricing!!
shopkeepers sell unofficial iPhones for close to a lakh!! (prices only come down once they are officially released here)[DOUBLEPOST=1383544388][/DOUBLEPOST]
How the demand at US gonna affect India's supply? The model is different here.
there are only 2 models, and the only difference between the two is of some "radios" rest everything is the same
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Differences-between-the-two-Nexus-5-models-D820-and-D821_id48985

well this is what happens when supply doesn't meet demand, overpricing!!
shopkeepers sell unofficial iPhones for close to a lakh!! (prices only come down once they are officially released here)[DOUBLEPOST=1383544388][/DOUBLEPOST]
there are only 2 models, and the only difference between the two is of some "radios" rest everything is the same
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Differences-between-the-two-Nexus-5-models-D820-and-D821_id48985

yeah ridiculous to see people take advantage of the demand..
hope Google and LG dont delay Indian official release

TOI has everyone hanging off their report quoting their "source" claiming Nov 12 is the date to watch. I for one don't think it's gonna come true with the US and Australian market already running on backlogs n global demand in launch markets being high as well.

If LG plays spoilsport with Google again knowing fully well the effect it is going to have on the general smartphone market here and moreso the effect on the G2 which has already started sliding down the price scale, it's going to be a repeat of the past.
haha, i hope we dont see the similar delay as the N4, or else imo the G2 would be a better proposition
P.S updates would still be a matter of huge concern[DOUBLEPOST=1383544842][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whether we like it or no, I reckon we have no other option but to be patient:banghead::rage:
or else will have to move towards other devices, or import it from elsewhere :(

Last edited:
That's what I meant dude.

Simple, production priority will shift from one version to the other to cater to the demand. Google and Apple have traditionally never prioritised the Indian market, though of late, Apple has made steady progress to address that weakness by changing their distribution model. However, the same can't be said with Google. The fact that LG is caught in a race to catch up with Samsung or at least just below Samsung's premium offerings with their own flagship range and upper mid range positioning mean's that Google is carrying a very big monkey on it's back with regards the Nexus brand and market strategy including timing to the market.

In all likelihood it is bound to affect their production pipeline priorities..

They aren't the only ones doing it. I read somewhere that US Retailer Best Buy was selling the 16GB for $799 right after it was sold out in the Play Store. They eventually lowered the price though.

They aren't the only ones doing it. I read somewhere that US Retailer Best Buy was selling the 16GB for $799 right after it was sold out in the Play Store. They eventually lowered the price though.
that's crazy!!
there must be a body that intervenes between all this with regards to fairpricing and false practices
i know you cant keep it hooked on to every one, but I'm hell bent that it should be levied on retailers and companies
Consumer Protection Act where are you!!!

I have a nasty feeling judging by how Google has once again chosen not to learn from the past with the Nexus availability, that we're gonna see the "Coming Soon" tag in India for a long long time... just like before.

I fail to understand if Google does this deliberately or if they've genuinely not learn't a thing from their own brilliant Google analytic's tools! lol

They perfectly understand how this works. Google's primary goal with Nexus devices isn't to make a profit from handset sales. It is to sway more people, specifically iPhone users (in the US and other countries with carrier contracts) over to the Android platform to generate more ad revenue for them. They're saying "Hey, for a little more than the price of an iPhone on contract, we're giving you a high end phone which you can freely use with any carrier of your choice." This makes the American consumer think twice before signing an iPhone contract. If Samsung or another major Android OEM sold unlocked phones at Nexus prices (thereby still getting people to use Android / Play Store), Google may not be making devices at all, except for developers.

India is a completely different market. We do have quick iPhone access from carriers like Airtel and Reliance but these schemes haven't seen much success. Our people like to play it safe and whip out their calculators for everything before making a big purchase. In general, we aren't as easily enticed by monthly payment plans and we think hard about how much these phones will cost us in the long run. Outright purchase after finding a good deal is the norm here. So coming to Nexus availability, it doesn't really matter too much for Google. A guy who is unable to buy a Nexus phone here due to insufficient supply will NOT spend 15k more to pick up an iPhone. Instead, he will most likely look for another device in the same price range from an Android OEM like LG, or Samsung, or Sony, or whatever, which still results in ad revenue. Google has their work cut out for them. They don't lose much at all from being late with their supply here. In fact, their analytic tools have given them exactly what they need to know.

Last edited:
that's crazy!!
there must be a body that intervenes between all this with regards to fairpricing and false practices
i know you cant keep it hooked on to every one, but I'm hell bent that it should be levied on retailers and companies
Consumer Protection Act where are you!!!

The important difference here though is that Best Buy did this to deter people from buying the phone since they make more money from selling contracts and accessories to people, not to "make a quick buck" per se. The goal is still to make a profit, but the approach is slightly different. A Best Buy employee was explaining this on Reddit, but I didn't read too much into it.

Additionally, I don't think "fair pricing" and "false practices" works in this scenario because it is actually Google and LG who sell their phone at low prices, not the other way around. Almost everyone else outside the Play Store sells the N5 at a higher markup, bring it closer to $500 or $550 (I think, don't remember correctly) if you bought it off contract from a carrier like T-Mobile. Of course, this is in the US though. I don't know how MRP is set here.

They perfectly understand how this works. Google's primary goal with Nexus devices isn't to make a profit from handset sales. It is to sway more people, specifically iPhone users (in the US and other countries with carrier contracts) over to the Android platform to generate more ad revenue for them. They're saying "Hey, for a little more than the price of an iPhone on contract, we're giving you a high end phone which you can freely use with any carrier of your choice." This makes the American consumer think twice before signing an iPhone contract. If Samsung or another major Android OEM sold unlocked phones at Nexus prices (thereby still getting people to use Android / Play Store), Google may not be making devices at all, except for developers.

India is a completely different market. We do have quick iPhone access from carriers like Airtel and Reliance but these schemes haven't seen much success. Our people like to play it safe and whip out their calculators for everything before making a big purchase. In general, we aren't as easily enticed by monthly payment plans and we think hard about how much these phones will cost us in the long run. Outright purchase after finding a good deal is the norm here. So coming to Nexus availability, it doesn't really matter too much for Google. A guy who is unable to buy a Nexus phone here due to insufficient supply will NOT spend 15k more to pick up an iPhone. Instead, he will most likely look for another device in the same price range from an Android OEM like LG, or Samsung, or Sony, or whatever, which still results in ad revenue. Google has their work cut out for them. They don't lose much at all from being late with their supply here. In fact, their analytic have give

I didn mean they lose necessarily in terms of commercial benefit.. i meant overall it just isnt a happy situation for fans of the nexus experience nor is it doing any favors to google to enhance their own strategy in terms of driving platform benefits through a wider and faster adoption of the nexus platform.

The repeated stepmotherly treatment from Google when it comes to the Indian market is something that it needs to address irrespective of their commercial strategy of earning off it.. when you consider they've tapped into India to drive their business by using Indian talent in the backend.. why the shit treatment for fans or the market segment that want's to get onto their nexus platform in what is arguably the best market in the world for the price point that they envision for the Nexus brand?

I didn mean they lose necessarily in terms of commercial benefit.. i meant overall it just isnt a happy situation for fans of the nexus experience nor is it doing any favors to google to enhance their own strategy in terms of driving platform benefits through a wider and faster adoption of the nexus platform.

The repeated stepmotherly treatment from Google when it comes to the Indian market is something that it needs to address irrespective of their commercial strategy of earning off it.. when you consider they've tapped into India to drive their business by using Indian talent in the backend.. why the shit treatment for fans or the market segment that want's to get onto their nexus platform in what is arguably the best market in the world for the price point that they envision for the Nexus brand?

Because it simply isn't a high priority for them until these fans take a stand and say "You know what? Screw you Google, I'm going to buy an iPhone." Adoption of the Nexus program doesn't matter to them at all. Adoption of Android however, does. Google aren't gaining or losing customers here in any way unless these people actually switch over to a rival OS.

Doing it for their fans might be nice, but business takes priority for any company. When they have a limited supply of handsets, they will prioritize markets where sales will result in more customers for them (Android Play Store users, not Nexus).

Last edited:
Finally ordered nexus 5 from a friend coming from US.gifting my nexus 4 to my bro :p. 3weeks is the delivery time they have mentioned and costed 390$ inc all.

Ordered 32 gb white yesterday only, was looking to cancel it but could not :(
As its status changed to pending

why canceling it? if u r unable to cancel,then your phone is about to leave the ware house.you can refuse the order or return it back to them for refund.Check refunds and cancellation link on US playstore.

why canceling it? if u r unable to cancel,then your phone is about to leave the ware house.you can refuse the order or return it back to them for refund.Check refunds and cancellation link on US playstore.

I'm happy now that it changed to pending :D
Hoping to receive it asap now via ppobox

^cool then! :)

I doubt retailers are gonna have nexus 5 with them simultaneously with play store. Nexus 4 was released by LG in india and not google so it is was not available on playstore.Nexus 5 will be available thru playstore and google will release it here aswell.

Any idea on the availability in India. I do know a lot of people are eagerly waiting for it, and its gonna fill my feeds once its available etc :) Although I am not looking to change my trusty old note as yet, a lot of colleagues and friends are waiting eagerly for the release.

@ashr: You have to understand the primary motive of Google behind the Nexus project, they felt that Android was not getting its due to sub par experience of most low-mid end phones. This was translating into, if you want a better phone experience shift to Apple, if you looking for a cheaper stop gap arrangement use Android based devices. I cannot blame them, as before the Nexus project most phone manufacturers had very poor hardware and software implementation of Android, which led to the conclusion that Android as an OS was not polished. Infact even Tier 1 manufacturers like Samsung had filled their Android skins with bloatware, and infrequent updates. Google felt that, the "Google experience" was lacking in most devices and hence the introduction of "Google Android experience" phones via nexus to the mainstream markets. These devices are doing extremely well, much to the chargin of Google partners (and one of the main reasons why Nexus sale numbers are not available, I am pretty sure Nexus 4 would have "outsold" the so called blockbuster Samsung Galaxy S4.

The scene has changed somewhat now from pre Nexus 4 days, top tier Android phones from the various manufactures have improved to the point of challenging Iphone supremacy (either through price or other features), and so has the Android skins. A Samsung top end phone is easily usable out of the box, compared to say 2-3 generations back,The same holds true for SOny, LG, HTC etc. A Nexus device priced much lower will undercut the partners, and Google's royalty on ad revenues and play store apps. Hence it makes sense for Google to create a short supply, to give breathing room to its partners.

Back