WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
which color you ordered ?

Nothing specific. :p

I hope I'll have a chance to choose from a lot. I'd prefer the matte Black. The glossy finish tend to attract a lot of fingerprints but looks a lot more sexy! The cover would be over the device anyway so I suppose glossy or matte doesn't really matter now.

Let us see what the store has to offer. The guy said he's expecting the stocks on Monday. I can wait - I've waited this long any way. :p

Nothing specific. :p

I hope I'll have a chance to choose from a lot. I'd prefer the matte Black. The glossy finish tend to attract a lot of fingerprints but looks a lot more sexy! The cover would be over the device anyway so I suppose glossy or matte doesn't really matter now.

Let us see what the store has to offer. The guy said he's expecting the stocks on Monday. I can wait - I've waited this long any way. :p

waiting for a detailed review when you get it. :)

eBay.in - Buy One Get One FREE

how is this deal guys?? i will get a phone free with it

That's a fantastic deal! You will get a phone later which can always be sold in the forums or eBay for cheap. You will save that amount.

waiting for a detailed review when you get it. :)

I can't promise a detailed review. It's been ages since I've done one for a piece of hardware. But I shall always post my views after a day or so of usage. :)

Finally got to check out the Lumia 920 this morning. This thing feels awesome in hand, like a luxury product, a Rolls Royce of smartphones. I think this is the only phone on the market that gives you the confidence to throw around without a case. A lot has been said about its bulk, but the truth is it is because they included a tank like case on to your phone so it is actually more elegant than any other phone where you would surely end up strapping a case on to. Something that surprised me was the screen, it is easily the most responsive touchscreen I have used. It's a small thing, but you really notice it after going back to a normal touchscreen. The ability use it without removing your gloves is very useful too, though for us Indians only applicable for peak winters. For Canadians or Scandinavians, I can imagine this being a no-brainer. Another really big deal is the OIS, at least from my little hands on time, it doesn't have the crazy jitter that plagues every other smartphone video out there even when holding still. Still, I don't regret jumping for the 8X, the phone is beautiful, but the build of Lumia 920 is something else. I do think that there's some "wasted space" and a chassis this size could surely house a larger screen.

By the way, I know why they went glossy with the bright colours - discolouration - and it is easy to see with the 8X (soft touch matte). This is the kind of detail that Nokia always seems to get right while competitors fail even when using the same materials. Another example is the Nokia N8 which was built of anodized aluminium - the best built phone of its time. Years later iPhone 5 used the same material but unlike N8 suffers from chronic scratching / durability issues.

The Lumia 920 is selling for a premium of roughly 5K - 8K here in Raipur. Woot !! Nokia is back it seems :)

Premium as in 5k-8k more than the retail pricing of 38,200? I don't think the official channel partners can do that.

AT&T are being a**holes again. I am getting like new 920s for 350 but no unlock code in sight for at least 4 more months.:(

Premium as in 5k-8k more than the retail pricing of 38,200? I don't think the official channel partners can do that.

Everything is possible in India. The dealers are just blatantly asking customers to pay 5-8K extra for immediate delivery. And they get customers as usual. When the Iphone 5 was launched, the first few handsets sold over here for a whopping 65-70K. Mindless wastage of money by fools.

Everything is possible in India. The dealers are just blatantly asking customers to pay 5-8K extra for immediate delivery. And they get customers as usual. When the Iphone 5 was launched, the first few handsets sold over here for a whopping 65-70K. Mindless wastage of money by fools.

Quite possibly without a proper invoice/bill. The iPhone case is different because the high pricing through the black markets happen when the phones haven't started retailing officially through the retail channels. Some sold for over a lakh as well.

This is quite evident in the auto industry as well. Swift and Swift Dzire have insanely high waiting periods but the customers can get immediate delivery for a car (with a color of their choice!) by paying extra to the dealer. The dealer pockets this additional money which isn't reflected anywhere.

^^Ya. You do not get any bill for the extra amount shelled out. It goes into the dealer's pocket without any mention in the account books.

Played with this for a few seconds at Croma on Sunday. A few thoughts.

1. Feels solid and Hefty - Premium if you will.
2. That screen is pure awesome!
3. Took a few dummy photos of the sales staff as all at Croma usually do. First impressions this Camera is one of the better ones I've seen. However it is slower than the iPhone 5's camera in opening and taking a pic. Also possible as I have absolutely 0 experience with WP so maybe it seemed more like a placebo.

As mentioned I have no experience with Windows Phone so I can't comment on the UI, etc. But from an Android and brief iOS user all I can say is that it probably needs getting used to.

It was retailing at around 38K.

@Gannu, now that you have bought this awesome phone, it is almost a necessity that you post in this thread :p

PS: Mighty congrats! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks Sid! First off, I owe my gratitude to my 2 colleagues who own the HD7 and the Lumia 710 without whom I would have never had the chance to play around with this platform and of course you, who had (well, started this thread :p) and strengthened my chances of getting a WP device. After the announcement of the iPhone 5, I was almost certain it was between these 2 devices or rather platforms (iOS or WP). But there were no new features that the iPhone 5 offered so I was skeptical to spend as much as 45k. And then, the Lumia 920 was announced as the flagship WP 8 phone by Nokia. I was sold and knew what my next phone would be! Let me just put down some quick impressions after a few hours of usage with this amazing device - please bear the lengthy post!

Like I mentioned before, the wait was well worth it. I am beginning to discover something new each time I fiddle around with the device. And the interface is so damn slick! I just love the tile based home screen and this time with WP 8, they have introduced tiles of different sizes that can be customized by the user. Almost anything can be pinned to the home screen but I prefer to keep it simple and those tiles that I tend to use more often. Contacts were synced automatically after signing into my Facebook account so those who’ve entered their contact numbers on their FB profile, showed up automatically including their birthdays and email IDs along with some other details. Saved me some time from transferring the contacts! Of course, unnecessary contacts also show up but that’s okay.

The best part (that does not seem to be mentioned in many reviews I had read online) is the Nokia Music store with the online radio. I was able to find 99% of the tracks online and here’s the best part - for FREE! Registered on the Nokia website using the email and I was good to go. Simply searched the music using the album name or the artist or the name of the track, it shows up - preview it for a few seconds and download it by a single tap (downloads in less than 5~10 seconds using a 2 mbps WiFi connection!) and it is saved in My Music. The quality of the tracks are very much acceptable although I haven’t checked what is the bitrate of the tracks - shall connect it to the PC tonight and check them anyway. I did not bother using the bundled Nokia headset (IEM plus mic) since I own a pair of Brainwavz Pro Alpha - the SQ was decent. There is an option of setting the equalizer with various presets (including custom) and enabling Dolby Headphone (which essentially boosts the bass a bit). I prefer neutral settings anyway.

Tested Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive over WiFi. Maps can be downloaded region wise for offline support. The whole of India’s map is available for some 522 MB or so but I don’t need the entire map anyway so Gujarat and Kerala was for some 60~70 MB each. I am yet to download them (it was already 1 AM by then!). Nokia Drive prompted me to update the app to the recent beta+ version and it showed up. This is one of the best GPS apps. available for Nokia (irrespective of the OS - I’ve used them on my boss’ Symbian based E71 before) and works extremely well. I shall know more about this when I head home next weekend. I will be roaming around with my friend in our car around the coastal Kerala, so this app. should come in handy. Both the apps were able to pinpoint to my location (i.e. my home) with near perfect accuracy. Even the tiny lane (can’t even call it a road!) which leads to our apartment was indicated! Even the Google maps did not indicate this street before - I had tested it with my roomie’s Spice MI-410 Android device.

Next the camera - it is told that this is the first smartphone which has the image stabilization is built into the lens of the camera. To test how well it captures the image while reducing the jitter, I enabled the video camera while riding pillion on my friend’s bike while returning back from the store. I was shocked to see the result! There was absolutely no jitter - it was as if the video was recorded by a digital camera. It left my friends in shock as well. Amazing camera this device packs. Will click some random snaps and upload them shortly.

Well that’s about it. I shall keep updating this thread with any further findings.

TLDR (as someone asked me before): The Lumia 920 is an amazing phone. For a retail pricing of 36.5k, it is well worth the price. But it should have retailed around the 30k’ish mark which could have attracted a whole lot of customers despite a delayed launch in the country.

Congrats! I kind of assumed Nokia Music wouldn't work in India but that's a major selling point. In the US there are many streaming services, so it is not a big deal but in India it most definitely is.

As for the pricing, they simply don't have enough supply. Even at 38k it is starting to sell out, and many of the smaller shops are hiking price to 40k. I'm sure it will drop to 30k when supply stabilizes, but for now we are lucky that it is even available.

Here's another amusing torture test: Nokia Lumia Pitching Machine Challenge - YouTube.

^Thanks! :)

This device does not have a FM radio but that is very well negated by the fact that there's online radio through Nokia Music. You can also listen to podcasts. The fact that the radio was missing was highlighted as a major disadvantage (other than the bulky part) but they never mentioned the fact that there's this amazing application called Nokia Music. What a bummer! :sleep:

I just came back to my desk after going to the ship. Clicked a lot of snaps here and there. On the phone's display, it looked fantastic! I am not sure how well it pans out when I transfer it to the PC but I am hoping it would be good. Some of the dark areas were shot as if there was some light source somewhere! The snaps were that bright. In short, this is the best cam. for low-light shots, no questions asked. Will upload the snaps later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back