Nokia N8 Thread

I am not so familiar with this QT. Seems that this is some framework used to develop apps for Symbian?
Do I need to install this on my N8? If I do how will it benefit my phone?
A few apps installed from OviStore (on my N8) did not work. Is it due to this QT stuff?

RS4 said:

AFAIK, they sold only the licensing part of Qt to Digia...Dhruv will explain details.

onlyravi said:
I am not so familiar with this QT. Seems that this is some framework used to develop apps for Symbian?
A few apps installed from OviStore (on my N8) did not work. Is it due to this QT stuff?

Which apps didn't work?
Anyways, if you want to install Qt, install using this link
Twitter

RS4 said:

Not at all.. with over 150 Million Symbian devices out there and a 100 mill expected sales this year... Qt plays a very important role in Nokia's strategy..

Nokia has sold the LICENSING division to Digia... this gives them more resources to concentrate on the actual development of the framework.

webserver2009 said:
how can i buy this app? i have debit card no cc :)

TIA :)
Operator billing is active in India afaik... check on that ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

onlyravi said:

Qt is preinstalled on your phone.. which apps didnt work ? Some of them require a beta version of the framework which will come to your phones in the next update. Use the link below to get the beta version but be careful as it MIGHT break your Ovi Store.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Operator billing is active in India afaik... check on that ?
Qt is preinstalled on your phone.. which apps didnt work ? Some of them require a beta version of the framework which will come to your phones in the next update. Use the link below to get the beta version but be careful as it MIGHT break your Ovi Store.
Operator billing on OVI store is active only for Reliance GSM customers as per the mail from Nokia.
I had installed few utilities from APP store ... dont remember their names but one was the famous battery monitor app. Had to delete them right away coz they were not working.
Also my Angry Birds game gets bit funky and the graphics get scrambled and cant see the text properly. This has started after I installed the PR1.1 and the bubblez beta app...

Delete Bubbles... it is using specialized Qt api's which are causing problems with other apps.. they're already working on it.

And okay... yea.. i haven't used it so forgot about the Reliance exclusivity for now.

^^ I even recd a mail from Nokia on how to uninstall the Bubblez app but sadly that link did not work the other day. Will try again...
I like the bubblez app. Though I think they have come up with a more stable version now.

Thanks Dhruv :)

guys one quick question

sorry too tired to google

does n8 play x264 encoded mp4 files?

i mean m720p mkv rips(scorp 500-700mb ones) can be remuxed to mp4 will this play on n8

^^ Yes it does. I downloaded few mkv 720p from the net and directly transferred to my N8. It plays them smoothly and also the seek time is fast...
Try hooking it to a HDTV and u can enjoy the Dolby sound also(The vdo shd have dolby soundtrack :) )
Watched Resident Evil 720 with Dolby sound... played flawlessly...

v.Na5h said:
guys one quick question

sorry too tired to google

does n8 play x264 encoded mp4 files?

i mean m720p mkv rips(scorp 500-700mb ones) can be remuxed to mp4 will this play on n8

Yes it does... it plays mkv rips as well but is a bit unreliable with those.

^^ Thanks @ WebServer2009
Uninstalled it and many other apps which I was not using recently....

Earlier I had my Nokia N73 which would run much faster after I did such a cleaning exercise. Like removing unwanted apps cleaning logs and temp files.
But with Nokia N8. It ran fast with / without all these stuff loaded. This is a practical proof that the CPU in N8 is really very capable.

guys!

i know its a bit late in this thread to be asking this but....
what is the best price of N8 in mumbai and where.

Got the Wave thanks to TE, LOVING IT!!! but it failed to impress my dad..
hence the N8.

thanks in advance!

(any other suggestions in 20K range?)

Back