Nvidia 4000 series cards

@buBleZ I don't know where he(JonnyGuru) is going with it, but there are few fundamental principles that no one can ignore, the MAX rated capacity of the pin on ATX 3.0 12VHPWR Auxiliary Power Connector is 9.2A @ 30 degrees and if the power draw is uneven(as shown in the article and even JonnyGuru acknowledges that) and if one of the sockets gets past the 9.2A rating then there will be pin melting problems. And this is not an isolated case of socket melting, you can search the internet for pcie socket melting and you will find many such examples(6 pin socket, 8pin sockets). If what he(JonnyGuru) is saying(Rated capacity being higher than what is required) then those should not have happened but it does happen due to various factors that includes uneven power draw, temperate effects, wire and crimp quality, among others.

Manufactures do cut corners and with power draw nearing 600w it is in our best interest to make sure the cables and sockets are up-to standards and it can do what it was supposed to do, dismissing valid points as fear-mongering is not a good approach I would say.

P.S: Just to be clear there are two ratings in everthing, max rating and continious rating, the specification gvies out max rating in Amps and continious rating in Watts. That is why we get 9.2A per pin but only 600W in total power draw. 9.2A x 6 pins = 55.2A x 12v = 662.4W

They even say that the new connector is designed for 30 connections and disconnections :D

Edit: people have instructions online how not to #uck it.

Last edited:
I have just this offer as of now and yes its a zotac card. He has got all the warranty and suport papers with him and an email from zotac confirming the 5 yr warranty. Can't go below 30k as i have done the deal. Hope its a good deal.
Sometimes Zotac asks to initiate the RMA process by sending an email from the original registered email account if the RMA is being done in extended warranty period. Although I have never done I'm not 100% sure about it, I have read about it on forums. If someone did it, please do comment here.

1666765128806.png

View attachment 149773
Something is odd.

4080/4070/4060ti and 4060 cant all use the same GPU AD104. :rolleyes:
Sometimes Zotac asks to initiate the RMA process by sending an email from the original registered email account if the RMA is being done in extended warranty period. Although I have never done I'm not 100% sure about it, I have read about it on forums. If someone did it, please do comment here.

Not true. Zotac honors email from other accounts too.

I have personally RMAed one card. The registered email and RMA email were totally different.

Something is odd.

4080/4070/4060ti and 4060 cant all use the same GPU AD104. :rolleyes:
Why not? It has happened in the past as well...

This is the whole reason people said 4080 12GB is not a XX80 class GPU but a XX60/XX70 class. The reason why nvidia had to "unlaunch" it.

Well thank god i didnt get a 4090. Hope my 3090ti wont have the same problem lmao, as imported cards wont have any warranty
It's why I have been advocating to junk the old computer standards from 90s. At 12v, the card needs to eat 30-40 amps from smps. How stupid and ridiculous is that! For comparison, all wiring in your house never carries this much current combined together, because they work at higher voltage.

It's why I have been advocating to junk the old computer standards from 90s. At 12v, the card needs to eat 30-40 amps from smps. How stupid and ridiculous is that! For comparison, all wiring in your house never carries this much current combined together, because they work at higher voltage.
does this also effect 3090ti? i've googled but didnt find any one complaining this happening to their 3090ti. mine has 3cables connected to 1. but looks so similar. i have a evga 1200W

Nvidia messedUp big one :p
It was bound to happen, such small connectors and increasing power limits.
Yeah and their reason to shift to such small connectors is the power sense pins for ATX 3.0 PSUs so the card can know what the PSU can deliver + to "save space" on PCB and look "less ugly". The latter part is which is so stupid. Funny thing, Intel helped design this connector and themselves aren't using it for Arc GPUs. They probably knew and decided to wait for the issues to resolve while Nvidia obviously doesn't care.
does this also effect 3090ti? i've googled but didnt find any one complaining this happening to their 3090ti. mine has 3cables connected to 1. but looks so similar. i have a evga 1200W
Not to my knowledge, the TDP limits are lower on 3090ti by about 100W (~500W) while 4090 can go upto ~600+W.

Last edited:
The connector is the same as the RTX 4090 except that the sense pins are not used. The max power draws for both cards at stock settings are also similar. However, there do not seem to be any complaints about it melting like the 4090. I'm guessing that since the air-cooled 4090s are wider than the air-cooled RTX 3090Ti models, the power cable is more likely to be squished by the side panel causing it to bend too much. This should be a non-issue for the LC models which are relatively compact.

igor has done analysis on the nvidia 12VHPWR connector. Seems like the problem is in the quality of soldering of wires inside the connector
I dont know which part of "Dont solder wires if there is going to be mechanical stress" nvidia/its supplier didn't understand. I guess they took the easy way out, instead of doing proper crimping.

I dont know which part of "Dont solder wires if there is going to be mechanical stress" nvidia/its supplier didn't understand. I guess they took the easy way out, instead of doing proper crimping.
Always something with Nvidia. Was cheap thermal pads with 3xxx now this. Hopefully i dont face this issue.

Back