Nvidia RTX 3XXX Series announced

Also lately there have been a lot of chatter on the NVIDIA subs on Reddit and some tech sites about improper application of thermal pads on the FE cards. Another thing for us to worry about here. A lot of people who have managed to get their hands on the 3080 and the 3090 have posted about removing the badly applied thermal pads on the FE and replacing them, giving them a drop of almost 20 degrees in temp while gaming.

With our temperatures and weather .... i foresee a few cards dying due to the heat....

Anyone else hearing about these problems with the 3000 series ?
I have also read about this. Just wanted to know is this a problem for 3070 too?

I have also read about this. Just wanted to know is this a problem for 3070 too?
Not really since 3070 & below use regular GDDR6 memory modules that do not run that hot & has been in user in RTX 2XXX series has well Navi GPUs. Also, there is now way of knowing the actual memory temps on FE cards as they do not have the required sensors which are present in 3080 & 3090 but that might just be due to them really not requiring it.

I think the most affected of the entire series is 3090 as it has many memory modules due to its 24GB frame buffer & some of them are present at the back of the PCB without any active cooling present in them, these run very hot to the tune of 105 degrees specially when under heavy loads.

Not really since 3070 & below use regular GDDR6 memory modules that do not run that hot & has been in user in RTX 2XXX series has well Navi GPUs. Also, there is now way of knowing the actual memory temps on FE cards as they do not have the required sensors which are present in 3080 & 3090 but that might just be due to them really not requiring it.
Actually I have an AIB model and not FE. This seems to be strictly a 3080+ problem for FE models and a few cheap brands right? Except Zotac and some other brand I forgot, rest void warranty if you try to mod the GPU.

As far as I know, its more or less exclusively a FE 3080, 3090 issue. And primarily because of the DDR6X memory used. Its just more vocal among the 3090 crowd because of the RAM being put on both sides of the PCB and the top portion not having proper thermal pads used.
Actually I have an AIB model and not FE. This seems to be strictly a 3080+ problem for FE models and a few cheap brands right? Except Zotac and some other brand I forgot, rest void warranty if you try to mod the GPU.

As far as i know, most places that do not have the Right to Repair Statues will probably end up voiding the warranty if you open it up. In case of countries like India, you can bet your bottom rupee that RMA process would fail if and when they see the seal on one of the screws is breached. We know just how painful the RMA process can get here and especially during the covid times

Undervolting along with an aggressive fan curve helps a lot too
I think there is no need to make changes in the GPU, its running hot give it fresh air and temp will go down. I've seen many mining setups that use this method on internet and this is a practical solution. I even saw someone using a cooler without pads and water to give fresh air to his mining rig.

I think there is no need to make changes in the GPU, its running hot give it fresh air and temp will go down. I've seen many mining setups that use this method on internet and this is a practical solution. I even saw someone using a cooler without pads and water to give fresh air to his mining rig.
It's not a major change and it also helps in giving stable and better performance. I guess for the 3080/3090 temp difference isn't much but it draws 100w less power for almost same performance.

If you are not going to overclock, you might as well underclock it. My 3060Ti FE used to run at 72 degrees 200W at around 1700-1800 fans speed now after undervolting it delivers similar performance & even more stable clocks, consumes only 170-180W, temps stay under 70 degrees & 1400-1500 RPM fan speed.

thats good, did you tried increasing fan speed manually and see if Temp goes down further though 70C at load is a sweet spot
I did try that & it did lower the temps by 3-4 degrees at around 1700-1800 RPM but it really isn't worth due to the extra fan noise. I have also tried opening up the case side panel & it did reduce the temps by a couple of degrees but again the extra dust build up is not worth it IMO. Turning on the room AC has does help significantly though.

If you are not going to overclock, you might as well underclock it. My 3060Ti FE used to run at 72 degrees 200W at around 1700-1800 fans speed now after undervolting it delivers similar performance & even more stable clocks, consumes only 170-180W, temps stay under 70 degrees & 1400-1500 RPM fan speed.
Ya that's why I suggested it. My previous card 5700xt used to hit 110c in junction temperature easily and after undervolting and adding a custom fan curve it was under 95c always. Now in my 3070 after undervolting, it never peaks above 63c at 1300-1400 rpm fan speed while gaming. It's clock speed is close to stock and very stable.

I think the most affected of the entire series is 3090 as it has many memory modules due to its 24GB frame buffer & some of them are present at the back of the PCB without any active cooling present in them, these run very hot to the tune of 105 degrees specially when under heavy loads.

I use a deepcool PCI slot fan to cool the back of the card.

Temperatures stays in the 90's even for the rear ram modules.

I use a deepcool PCI slot fan to cool the back of the card.

Temperatures stays in the 90's even for the rear ram modules.
rather than that you could make your own custom goose neck Fan

Just for the demo

rather than that you could make your own custom goose neck Fan

Just for the demo
Too much pain and ugly end result. Also this fan funnily enough is perfect size to hit the area around the gpu.

I don't know anymore. I can buy the 3060 for 40k (?) but I don't need such a powerful gpu tbh. That's the reason why I'm looking for previous or older gen models.
Also since I'm travelling regularly nowadays and will be stationed at the hills side frequently for a while I think that a laptop with a dGPU might actually be better for me right now. That way at least I'll get to play some games. I do have spent some money on desktop parts though thinking I would be able to get a used GPU with little issue lol.
I really liked that old Alienware being sold here many weeks ago but the dude had unreasonable price offers. Because it's an Alienware... :(

Last edited:
Back