Monitors OLED Monitors

As stated, all OLEDs use a non-standard sub-pixel structure.

Samsung QD OLED uses triangular RGB, this is not same as RGB sub-pixel layout & then there is RGBW of LG WOLED. This is why I just bought a TV. I just need a portable desk (something light & foldable) & a wireless KB now to play with KB + mouse on TV.

I purchased LG C3 48" for 89k, happy with the purchase. I wanted 42" but didn't get it. If 32" 1440p OLEDs were like 50k, I would have bought that but at 80k, TV enticed me more. Anyways, I use my 1440p LCD monitor for normal tasks like browsing or mouse + KB games for now (will make changes in few months).
I was in the same boat when I bought my C2X. 4K Monitors are very expensive especially OLED's. Plus having a TV with 120 Hertz served as a monitor too and 48 inch is not too big either.

Using 48inch C3 oled as my monitor. Never going back. Its amazing to use. Get so much work done. I still miss the Triple 22in monitor setup out of habit, but this with fancy zones has been phenomenal.

This one's damn costly. Where did you buy it from and at what price?
yeah, its getting cheaper though. Bought it directly from dell. I think that's the only option.
It started around 1.3L, i bought for 1.05L, couldn't wait any more. Recently on independence sale it went to 90k.
+ there are going to be options with lower refresh rates in future which will be cheaper.

Hopefully, oled options will come down to 50k or so in future.

A good mini led might be a decent option too, though they can have blooming. Some of them have much higher brightness, so in some scenes they will look better than oleds.
+ no burn in issues.
I was thinking of samsung neo g7 for a long time, but decided against it due to reported samsung qc issues + my own bad experience with samsung ( mobile is ok)

Yea, checked out all the Samsung oddysey monitors in a showroom. Apart from the QC issues i find super ultrawides like the G9 very jarring for gaming. I also dont like the lack of curve in the latest models.

About the alienware OLED. Do you spend long hours coding/browsing. I'm scared of investing so much into LED given my use case is gaming + programming. I see many good 38 inch IPS options in Rtings but none of them are available in India or are needlessly expensive.

About the alienware OLED. Do you spend long hours coding/browsing. I'm scared of investing so much into LED given my use case is gaming + programming. I see many good 38 inch IPS options in Rtings but none of them are available in India or are needlessly expensive.

1) Ideally, if you can - best option will be to have 2 monitors and use oled only for media. I do not have the space.
Miniled is the next logical choice, but when i bought we only had samsung one which i decided to skip. We have more now - some from Acer on amazon ( dunno if they are good).
Also oleds probably will get cheaper in future, its already dropping in price quickly. And we might get say models with lower but good enough refresh rates at cheaper prices which might make better sense.

2) Since they are giving 3 year burn in warranty and i was waiting for long, i decided to go for it. And made lots of changes to mitigate burn in which will hopefully help.
I use in darkish room so can manage with low brightness and also reduced blue and green color gain. etc

3) yes, i use it for coding/browsing and other work for decent amount of time.
IDEs can have stuff at fixed places which isnt good. I try to reduce how much stuff is visible. And i don't use full screen ( dont really need to) and open window in random locations ( KDE has the option) and also in general keep moving windows to different points once in a while - along with all other precautions.
Even in games i try to remove hud now - esp for long playtime games like rdr2.

All these precautions might be too much for some - i tried to simulate some of them in my old lcd monitor first and see if i can manage. I could and really wanted the monitor so went for it.

It helps that while this amount is not trivial, its still only a small portion of savings/income. This is a call one has to make. I have managed with cheaper stuff too for long time. Just went for a bit of indulgence this time. No harm in waiting for few years and see them drop in price if you feel like it.

Edit - what i got is slightly curved 32 4k. Not ultrawide.
38 sounds nice too, 42 was a bit too much for me to use as desktop based on TV experience.
I think larger monitors have higher tax in India, which might be one reason when they cost more ( i think 34 has that problem - not sure).

Last edited:
Back