Oneplus 9 pro. Would you pay more for Hasselblad branding?

I think the youtuber MKBHD did mention the shifting in target demographic by oneplus. Carve out a name in niche, then go to wider market to make money.

IMO the phone looks very, very lazy. No innovation apart from 2 company names on the admittedly reflective back panel. It looks like yet another high end phone, nothing to separate it from others.

Then again I'm not its target market any more, but would've loved to rock a OnePlus 3T back if my budget allowed it during its release lol.

Oneplus 9 Pro is launched at what is essentially an IPhone/S series price.
They will ofcourse ultimately get the users to pay for the 150m that they forked out to Hasselblad.

Would have mattered far less had the cameras actually been as good as the iphone. But from many reviews it is clear that it is not. Most are a bit muted in their criticism so that they keep getting review units. But at least everyone simply says it's nothing special. Essentially you are paying for that branding rather than great camera quality.

Was eagerly waiting for this phone. But there is no way I am spending 60k for a phone whose update support after 1 year matches a Samsung 15k m series phone. Especially when the cameras are just average too.

Was waiting to see the OP9 launch as I plan to replace my XS due to battery concerns. I think I will spend 25k odd on the A52 instead. Will get monthly update support for the next 2-3 years. Camera and screen are decent too. Spending around 35k more should give us the same level of support and extraordinary cameras. Otherwise can buy a 55 inch TV in that 35k price these days.
I would not pay 25k for A52. If 5G is not a priority, and if you can live with average cameras, why dont you go ahead and buy iQoo 3 (non 5G variant) for 24k or 25k on Flipkart. This is one solid phone that is under rated. The only serious negative for this phone is 60Hz refresh rate.

Sticking a BWM logo on a Mitsubishi Lancer doesn't make it a BMW.
Calling the OPPO 9 and OPPO 9 Pro an OnePlus isn't helping either.
Arun (MrWhoseTheBoss) opined the cameras were moderately inferior to the S21 Ultra, considering the S21 retails for about 85K and the 9Pro at 60 there would be some buyers I guess.

Seriously thinking to stop using smartphones completely for next couple of years.
Rarely take photographs ( always carry a bulky DSLR to interesting places...and not really going anywhere remotely interesting anytime soon, will be living in hotels for at least next 18 months)
Got a cheap small DAP for music. Almost always carry a laptop or two. GPS won't be needed for next 18 months. My only smart phone use is practically restricted to random surfing / chess.com and an iPad ( even the regular one) should be much better than any phone.
No sir! You're smarter.
Taking that back...you're an audiophile!!

Sticking a BWM logo on a Mitsubishi Lancer doesn't make it a BMW.
Calling the OPPO 9 and OPPO 9 Pro an OnePlus isn't helping either.
Arun (MrWhoseTheBoss) opined the cameras were moderately inferior to the S21 Ultra, considering the S21 retails for about 85K and the 9Pro at 60 there would be some buyers I guess.
S21 plus offers an almost free 20k watch at that price too and also gives security updates on the same day as Google phones.

There would definitely be buyers but I think a lot of buyers would back off as well. Iphone 12 would be only 10k higher at around 73k. At that price range people typically have a more fluid budget range in mind.
I would not pay 25k for A52. If 5G is not a priority, and if you can live with average cameras, why dont you go ahead and buy iQoo 3 (non 5G variant) for 24k or 25k on Flipkart. This is one solid phone that is under rated. The only serious negative for this phone is 60Hz refresh rate.
Yes, it is incredible value at that price. It is one year old though so will probably only be supported for one more year like most vivo phones. Also I am enamoured by the idea of not carrying my cards and using Samsung Pay instead :D

Anyway don't care for 5G. It's not as if I have to wait for completing tasks because of slow 4G speeds. 4G is plenty good enough for me.

S21 plus offers an almost free 20k watch at that price too and also gives security updates on the same day as Google phones.

There would definitely be buyers but I think a lot of buyers would back off as well. Iphone 12 would be only 10k higher at around 73k. At that price range people typically have a more fluid budget range in mind.

Yes, it is incredible value at that price. It is one year old though so will probably only be supported for one more year like most vivo phones. Also I am enamoured by the idea of not carrying my cards and using Samsung Pay instead :D

Anyway don't care for 5G. It's not as if I have to wait for completing tasks because of slow 4G speeds. 4G is plenty good enough for me.
Then check the note 10 Lite as well. It was selling for 27k something earlier today. Not sure if it has NFC for Samsung Pay.

No longer is OnePlus an economical brand. Every version they have been jacking up the price by 3k to 4k. I would pay more and rather buy a Samsung Galaxy S series or an iphone, then a OnePlus.

I had purchased the OnePlus One at launch and even sold a coupon to purchase it back in the day on eBay at a profit due to the overwhelming craze for buying a flagship killer. Tried again with the 7T and the camera processing was plain horrible, combined with a buggy, inconsistently updated OOS that aspired to be a One UI clone.

Done with OnePlus as a brand and I suppose Carl Pei saw it too by jumping ship at the right time.

The only good thing about oneplus was OOS but recently that too has taken a hit, I had been using oneplus since OP5t and gave up on oneplus the moment they had a UI change. I went for Samsung S20 plus and surprisingly One UI has improved miles from the touchwizz era.

I had bought my OnePlus 5 8/128gb in 2017 for 38k, OnePlus 8T on the other hand for 8/128gb has been available for sale for around 43k. I gave my OP5 to my 1-year-old son for Youtube Kids and bought an OP8T for myself, since OnePlus launched their phones I have not used any other brand of phones. I only changed out of OP5 because the camera system felt outdated there was no performance loss (I am looking at you Apple) but basically, I was bored with the phone. OP8T has a much better camera in comparison seems to do the job quite well for my needs, All I need it for is to capture the moments in our lives and for that, it's good enough. I was looking at replacing my wife's Samsung S9 Plus with OP9 but the pricing is what is pushing me from it, the co-branding from Hasselblad has only increased the pricing of the device from 43k base price to 49k for the base model. at that price, I might look into getting a sparingly used Samsun S21 plus.

I think Oneplus is out of ideas, to be honest, their phones off late have been boring and plain dull, no longer seem worth the price they are charging. before there used to be a huge difference in a flagship and a "flagship killer" phone from OnePlus now that difference is merely a few thousands of rupees, and the trades off between them are still there.

No way. This is pure marketing hype, at least for the time-being till their camera performance gains tangibly from this partnership.

OPO started so well. Unfortunately, they are now just turning into another money minting business like some overpriced android and non-android phones.

Good for them but I will be damned if I pay them the premium for their marketing.

The phones aren't bad, in absolute terms. It's just that the price is becoming increasingly hard to justify. If OnePlus wants to compete in the big leagues, they need to level up in terms of hardware and support (software updates, after sales support etc)

Back