Open Challenge : Who is best of India

ppl, its a worthy cause. The challenge and in fact the whole points system is for promoting competetion which only helps increase the crunching there by helping the project.

No need for some one to take offence.Its all in the name of common good :)

Funky said:
apparently some people do. it does not go in their head :p
its funny to see the replies here. I guess i just hit some nerves thats all. :p
Still cant understand why anyone needs to be offended or feel the sudden need of giving reasons for not crunching here :bleh:
btw thats only 9 line reply on my screen :bleh:
Nah, if you'd got on my nerves I'd have set up a server farm... apparently, my priorities and attitude is very different. Even if I had a bunch of quads I wouldn't go around beating a drum and challenging people... that's where my idiomatic expression comes in ;)

Are you aware of the fact that this is not a personal challenge? challenge system was added to wcg for sole purpose of friendly competition.

This goes out to all other teams on the freakin earth. its open challenge. ;)

And there are wayyyyyyyy bigger teams out there that small teams like ours. They challenge each other all the time which only results in more and more people donating their processing power for this..

Its not drum beating. Its a friendly competition that only results in processing power directed towards good cause.

This is the first challenge thats coming out of India. And already people like you are looking at it as a offense.

There is no point in saying I can do that and I can do this. Its actions that speak. And its not question of anyone's attitude. If you cant get the simple good reason behind this challenge then I have doubts about your comprehension and not attitude.

If you had a good look at WCG team pages, there are like 10s of challenges all over the world for people to participate. This is just 1 of them. sheesh..........

RiO said:
This has gotten to your head man, you need a real life ;)

Quite right, we had someone in office who used to install BOINC on eveyone's computer. annoyed the hell outta most people. But then to our defense most of us have older 256 and 512 MB systems which struggle with XP and office 2003 as it is. With a fast proccy and 1 gig of memory this shouldn't be much of an issue. But to buy a quad to crunch...jeez...donate a kidney or something :p

PS - biomed firms in the US have plenty of server farms running simulations and computations. I guess this is the new outsourcing after BPO's :p

^^Funky, I could say the same thing for you (where there is a will there's a way) to quote you when it came to actually selling the viewsonic's you put up for sale instead of making lame a$$ excuses...

Sorry to go OT here guys but after waiting for 3 months for the monitor I totally gave up...

Kumar said:
ppl, its a worthy cause. The challenge and in fact the whole points system is for promoting competetion which only helps increase the crunching there by helping the project.

No need for some one to take offence.Its all in the name of common good :)
With crunching, I think the motivation and drive is more important than the results... that's why thousands of people around the world are still folding/crunching with PII's. I doubt they did it to show they were greater than others, and I don't think Funky would have thrown this challenge out if he was still on a PII ;)

Anyway, my message is: do it for the right reasons and feel good about contributing to cancer and aids research, don't do it because some monkey challenges or provokes you.

RiO said:
Anyway, my message is: do it for the right reasons and feel good about contributing to cancer and aids research, don't do it because some monkey challenges or provokes you.

:rofl:

When two people are right...there will be an arguement and quarrel...

This is not the best time to put this Q forward...but are there any proofs that all the processing power is put to use...Is this proved...?

6pack said:
^^ someone's jealous of funky's quad ;)

Dude...i know RiO well. If you think he's jealous for one moment, well we'd better start crunching for some neuro research for you...

Don't mud sling just for the heck of it...

^^Agree with RiO 100%

Vandal said:
Dude...i know RiO well. If you think he's jealous for one moment, well we'd better start crunching for some neuro research for you...

Don't mud sling just for the heck of it...

^^Agree with RiO 100%

okk ur welcome! :hap2:

Kumar said:
like?

Anyway, whatever the reason, in this case the resuls is what counts. What say?

Who uses this....?

what results are being achieved...?

I kn the points thingy...but what exactly is achieved and are there any proofs of people making difference...I have asked this Q before and I just got "yes its a just cause"...but noone seems to give proper answers with proof...

here are the details

World Community Grid - Research

Completed projects
Human Proteome Folding Phase 1

The first project launched on World Community Grid was the Human Proteome Folding Project, or HPF1, which aims to predict the structure of human proteins. This project was unique in that computation was done in tandem with the grid.org distributed computing project. Devised by Richard Bonneau at the Institute for Systems Biology, the project used grid computing to produce the likely structures for each of the proteins using a Rosetta Score. From these predictions, researchers hope to predict the function of the myriad proteins. This increased understanding of the human proteins could prove vital in the search for cures to human diseases. Computing for this project was officially completed on July 18, 2006.Research results for the yeast portion of HPF1 have been published.
Help Defeat Cancer

The Help Defeat Cancer project ran from July 20, 2006 to April 2007. It seeks to improve the ability of medical professionals to determine the best treatment options for patients with breast, head, or neck cancer. The project worked by identifying visual patterns in large numbers of tissue microarrays taken from archived tissue samples. By correlating the pattern data with information about treatment and patient outcome, the results of this project could help provide better targeted treatment options.
Genome Comparison

The Genome Comparison project was released on November 21, 2006, from Fiocruz in Rio de Janeiro. The project seeks to compare gene sequences of different organisms against each other in order to find similarities between them. Scientists hope to discover what purpose a particular gene sequence serves in a particular function of one organism, via comparing it to a similar gene sequence of known function in another organism. Grid computing for this project was completed in July 2007.
Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy Phase 1

This newest project was released on December 19, 2006 and completed by June 11, 2007. The project was run by Décrypthon, a collaboration between French Muscular Dystrophy Association, French National Center for Scientific Research and IBM, and it investigated protein-protein interactions for 40,000 proteins whose structures are known, with particular focus on those proteins that play a role in neuromuscular diseases. The database of information produced will help researchers design molecules to inhibit or enhance binding of particular macromolecules, hopefully leading to better treatments for muscular dystrophy and other neuromuscular diseases. This project was available only to agents running the Grid MP client, making it unavailable to users running BOINC.

Source: World Community Grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. Are you thinking this is a scam or something?

I crunch a lot you know, but the stuff I crunch happens to be crispy and spicy, and yummy too :D.Now, isnt that good??

On a serious note, people should take this as an opportunity to help out mankind, rather than competing with each other (And teams??What is the purpose of making teams and competing??That is the most ridiculous idea,ROFL) and using platforms like these to show off the 00ber hardware.

Nope, am not jealous of anyone's hardware or anything cos I know that I wont splurge insane amounts of cash for CRUNCHING, I'd rather invest that money in stocks,LOL.

Pass on the crispies, will someone??So that I can keep the crunching thing going :D.

HAPPY CRUNCHING GUYS!!PEACE :D.

vij said:
:rofl:
When two people are right...there will be an arguement and quarrel...

This is not the best time to put this Q forward...but are there any proofs that all the processing power is put to use...Is this proved...?

Well there is. There are status reports, details stats, work done, white papers available for users to see. You can go onto WCG website and navigate to research section and see the completed research materials.
Lots of info on their forums as well.

And Rio has it still not got in your head this is team challenge?

I am folding for last 8 years. Before i did it for seti, now i do it for wcg. I was crunching 24x7 even when I had cpu which was less powerful than yours, and less overclocked than yours.
This challange system was implemented few days ago on wcg.
Now I got better system and I still crunch 24x7 and in future no matter what system i will have it will still crunch 24x7.

if it was for my own glory, I would have no reason for even throwing this challenge. I am already wayy ahead of everyone from India in WCG BOINC. And I know within 2 months I will catch and pass everyone else on WCG from India. And I will still keep doing it after that happens.
Its pitty to see u guys cant even take things like WCG with open mind.

Funky said:
Its pitty to see u guys cant even take things like WCG with open mind.

The thing that I dont understand is, is there any rocket science involved in crunching or anything??If it was like gaming or anything, then making teams and challenging each other makes sense IMO, but making teams and challenging each other for crunching??:O

I can be an 00ber cruncher, if someone could supply an yearful's supply of snacks like that gamerchamp Arun is getting, I'd CRUNCH more than anyone in the WORLD you know :D.

Darthcoder said:
I crunch a lot you know, but the stuff I crunch happens to be crispy and spicy, and yummy too :D.Now, isnt that good??

On a serious note, people should take this as an opportunity to help out mankind, rather than competing with each other (And teams??What is the purpose of making teams and competing??That is the most ridiculous idea,ROFL) and using platforms like these to show off the 00ber hardware.

Nope, am not jealous of anyone's hardware or anything cos I know that I wont splurge insane amounts of cash for CRUNCHING, I'd rather invest that money in stocks,LOL.

Pass on the crispies, will someone??So that I can keep the crunching thing going :D.

HAPPY CRUNCHING GUYS!!PEACE :D.

See the idea of team is simple. Motivation.

Take example of enthusiast community like te.

Half the people are on C2D these days here.

Now do any of us really need that much processing power for daily work? No.

Do anyone of us had to upgrade? No.

Why did we upgrade? The honest answer is someone else got something: that provoked me to get something. that caused some other people to follow the path :p

Its chain reaction. Its a driving force. Its human nature. When there is competition we work harder. When there is peer pressure it results in productive efforts.

Same here. Its a good cause. You should not need any motivation to do the work. But its human tendency to ignore and go past stuff. When there are more people doing it, it gives those efforts some face. Kinda like our own community.

And teams??What is the purpose of making teams and competing??That is the most ridiculous idea,ROFL

[sarcastic]
Yeah right. As ridiculous as organizing sports meets and competetions in schools. Why don't the kids just go off and do some exercise? Why do they have to make the fuss about sports?
[/sarcastic]

Thats because competetion increases intrest, it motivates individuals to perform harder than they do if there was not any competetion.

EDIT: Funky beat me to it.

Funky said:
Why did we upgrade? The honest answer is someone else got something: that provoked me to get something. that caused some other people to follow the path :p

Is it??So people upgrade to compete??

LOL, this is something new to me.

You can compete where it makes sense, but you cant compete in everything.

And what next team $hitting competition??Competition in certain areas is great, but competing in each and every field is not required.

Secondly, I cant afford to upgrade cos someone else is upgrading cos am p00r :( and I cant afford to pay the extra power bills (am a n00b I dont even keep my PC on for 24/7, I know that that makes me an outkast :( ) so competing in this Crunching thing is not for me ofcourse when it comes to crunching crispies, I think am the world leader :D.

Anyways to each his own.All the best for your Crunching competition and keep the Indian flag flying high! :D.

@6pack: When hungry, I eat like 10 Cheese Burgers in a gulp.

And if you could have those burgers imported to India, then am surely in.

6pack said:
^^ someone's jealous of funky's quad ;)
Right, I'm jealous when I could have bought a QX6700 8 months ago instead of an X6800 heh

Funky, you need a beer man... you take this stuff way too serious :cheers:

Back