Package Holidays....where to look forward to ??

raksrules said:
^^ So you converted the USD TCs to INR right?
Yep

raksrules said:
My requirement is to get USD cash in lieu of the TCs ? Is that possible ?
I do not folow what you mean, if you have TC's then the idea is to redeem them for dollars abroad and then have them converted to the local currency at whatever rate the guy that changes them for you offers.

TC's are safer than carrying $$ with you from here and can only be redeemed by you.

blr_p said:
TC's are safer than carrying $$ with you from here and can only be redeemed by you.

Not entirely true. TCs are basically bearer checks so if you lose them to some resourceful people, they can very well encash them at a "friendly" forex dealer. The only advantage to travelers cheques is that they are replaced when reported stolen unlike paper money. Regardless of the instrument you carry, you can never be too careful with money.

Sorry to jump in...
Can some one please suggest me some good package tour in India. budget around 25-30k. time period - not more then 3 days. month - any time after March 2011. Non veg food pref. Even considering places like Matheran / Mahabaleshwar.
Air route prefered due time constrain.

please advise..

^ I think you should create a separate thread for a better response. You haven't specified how many people are travelling since with an air travel, your 30K budget might be consumed just on travel.

thedeadghost said:
Sorry to jump in...
Can some one please suggest me some good package tour in India. budget around 25-30k. time period - not more then 3 days. month - any time after March 2011. Non veg food pref. Even considering places like Matheran / Mahabaleshwar.
Air route prefered due time constrain.

please advise..
For 30k you can only get to stay in a small city like Agra or smaller in a good hotel (for a couple) for 2 nights and just spend time over there and locally. Forget about air tickets, shopping, exploring around etc.

If you want to rough it out, then in a cheap town in a cheap hotel you can perhaps visit by train or car travel. Not recommended for a honey moon, or even for a decent vacation, imo.

rite said:
For 30k you can only get to stay in a small city like Agra or smaller in a good hotel (for a couple) for 2 nights and just spend time over there and locally. Forget about air tickets, shopping, exploring around etc.
I would differ. Agra stay for 2 nights in a 4 star would cost around 6 - 9 K based on the time of the year. It can be even lesser. Be on the lookout for offers and am sure you will find something. I was surprised when I got a 25% off using IRCTC for my hotel booking. Hassle free and smooth experience. Flight tickets between metros cost between 3.5 - 4.5 K at most one side, and so for a couple return tickets would come to another 15 - 17K at most. Again, do some searching and apply the right discounts, your costs come down.

As a rule of thumb, I usually get the best discounts for hotels at travelguru or ezeego, and for flights on ezeego or cleartrip.

PS: I still suggest @thedeadghost creates a separate thread for his request without hijacking @raksrules thread :)

When I said a good hotel I meant a decent five start hotel. You will be hard pressed to find it for less than 5-7k per night per couple and each meal would be at least 2-3k+ for a couple.

I have really never found anything alarmingly different between the service levels of 4 and 5 star hotels. The prices are a different story though.

I don't think so.

The difference in price is hardly anything whereas there is a huge difference in the quality.

(I am just talking of the lowest starting prices)

Take Agra for example:

Four Star 3500-4000/night

Five Star 4000-5500/night

Delhi

Four Star : About 6-8k

Five Star : Around 10k

And the difference in the quality of the rooms is decent, difference in the quality of food and variety is there. Difference in the ambience and customer service as well as amenties is huge and the difference in the hotel itself is huge

Most of the five stars in Delhi cost 10-12k per night for their simple rooms, at least during off season or if you book well in advance including Maurya Sheraton, Imperial, ITC Sherton Saket, Taj etc.

The most expensive hotels are around 15k or so and even during a relatively heavy season, not more than 15-20k (for the most expensive hotels, that is)

Of course, suits costs upwards of 25-35k to as much as 1-2 lacs per night if not more.

Just a headsup for anyone planning to get a Thai tourist Visa in Mumbai. Although you may get this information online but since i had this done just this week, thought of sharing the information.

1. Get two 4.5mm X 3.5mm pics with usual white background, 70% of pic should have your face.

2. Download the Visa application from THIS URL

3. Stick one pic on the Left side Box and another just besides that (yes thats the way it is to be done), you can also staple the pics.

4. Fill the form completely and also for local guarantor mention the hotel where you gonna stay.

5. Take your return flight ticket along with you.

6. For monetary guarantee, you can either purchase FOREX from an authorized exchange and get it written officially on the passport or show TCs if you have any or show foreign currency if you have it (already). Remember to take a photocopy of the currency / TCs. Amount per person to be shown is 500 USD Min. I had shown then 500 USD in TCs and for my fiancee i took about 400 Euros and took its photocopy.

PS: It is not necessary for the person who needs to take the visa to be present at the consulate (or whatever it is called)

No charges for Tourist Visa :)

Visa application accepted between 9 to 11:30 AM

Passport you get back next day between 2 to 4.30 PM

Dont believe the consulate website which says that agents are allowed to submit forms only after 10:30 AM, agents are there standing right from 8:45 and they can very well submit their applications before that, thats what i saw. Better reach there early.

Is there anyone here who is planning to go to Thailand in near future (next 1 month or so) and have plans to get a local SIM there. If yes then will it possible for you to give the SIM to me for my use when i visit.

Just want to avoid hassles of getting a new SIM if someone already has it.

raksrules said:
5. Take your return flight ticket along with you.

6. For monetary guarantee, you can either purchase FOREX from an authorized exchange and get it written officially on the passport or show TCs if you have any or show foreign currency if you have it (already). Remember to take a photocopy of the currency / TCs. Amount per person to be shown is 500 USD Min. I had shown then 500 USD in TCs and for my fiancee i took about 400 Euros and took its photocopy.

Will the webmail printout do for the return ticket?

Photocopy of the currency notes? :O Whats the guarantee its actually yours.

Whats a TC?

Renegade said:
Will the webmail printout do for the return ticket?
Photocopy of the currency notes? :O Whats the guarantee its actually yours.
Whats a TC?
Yes i had the e-ticket sent out by cleartrip and i just took its printout.

Yes photocopy of currency notes. They dont care where you get that from, you just need to show 500 USD (or equivalent). Also you need to take the originals (currency or TC)

TC - Travelers Cheques, AMEX TCs never expire. Very useful and safe form of currency. You do a single sign on it when receiving from bank etc and when you actually want to use it, you do another sign in front of merchant and then it is a valid TC. It is also replaceable in any country if it is lost.

Ok and would it be better to buy the currency from a bank or from some other source? What is usually the difference in the exchange rates offered.

Renegade said:
Ok and would it be better to buy the currency from a bank or from some other source? What is usually the difference in the exchange rates offered.
Get the rates from different banks / Forex agencies and OTHER sources and buy from where you get best rates. The OTHER sources may not give you any official receipt per se which means you can actually get better rates from them.

Back