Pc vs workstation cost for animation and video rendering

BTW I got two cds in windows 7 ultimate one for 64 bit one for 32 bit, can I install and update both versions or only one of them?

I wish to install both of them in separate partitions.

Well, I'm afraid to say that you didn't choose your configuration properly. I'd recommend you this, very recently built 3-Workstation class PCs based on Sandy Bridge processors:

Processor: Core i7-2600K (great OCing, no Vt-d) or 2600 (decent OC, with Vt-d). Both are quad-core, HT with 8 threads, more than enough for 99.9% of today's *enterprise* needs, let alone gaming, encoding blah blah.

Motherboards: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution (2600K), Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 (2600K) and Intel DP67BG Extreme series (2600; most importantly for Vt-d).

RAM: 16GB for each Workstation - 2 x 8GB kits each. 8GB kit - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8.

Graphics cards: Sapphire 5870 DDR5 2GB Eyefinity 6 ed. (1 No) and Sapphire 5850 DDR5 2GB Toxic (2 Nos)

LCD: 12 Nos (6 + 3 + 3; Eyefinity config) - all 27", ViewSonic X Series VX2739WM (obviously, costs a lot but I need them).

PSU:Corsair CMPSU-750HX series, more than sufficient.

SSD: Sata-III based Crucial RealSSD C300 series - 128GB (1 No each for 3 machines)

HDD: WD Black, Sata 6Gb/s with 64MB cache, 2TB (6 Nos; 2 per machine).

Case: NZXT Phantom (1 White and 2 Black); rock solid product.

OSes: Linux (couple of distros) and Windows 7 Professional x64 ed. on Parallels 4.0 Desktop (Virtualization mode).

Those machines are running damn good in my business environment. Rock solid performance, superb Eyefinity experience (eliminates buying lot of PCs!) and best value for money compared to X58/Bloomfield platform for sure.

Note: Most of the Hardware bought from the US, baring components like LCDs, Cases etc. Point is, I don't know the prices in India for my config.

Based on my experience with Design, Modeling and Simulating (Pharma/Bio/IT industries), you don't need Qaudro 4000 cards (overkill) and Xeon Workstation. Well, instead of Dell Xeon Workstations, we use the latest Mac Pros (12 cores; for those expensive highly customized workstations, we chose 2xATI 5770 config per each WS. That's a lot!). My Research staff are very happy working with them, in fact they were shocked to see performance of the latest Hardware.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sumeet a.k.a NEO said:
BTW I got two cds in windows 7 ultimate one for 64 bit one for 32 bit, can I install and update both versions or only one of them?

I wish to install both of them in separate partitions.

You get 2 CDs, choose whatever you want. Only one.

Anyway, I would recommend you to go this way:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

That solution would be more useful, backward compatible too (legacy apps, if any).

BTW, how much memory installed on that machine?

K guys I am having one problem.

My graphic card has one DVIi slot and 2 HDMI slot for connecting the monitors.

It came with a dvi to vga adapter which i used to connect to my one monitor's VGA.

Now there is another wire, which fits the hdmi slot of graphic card but has a female DVI output.

Now I probably require a DVI male connector wire (with pins on both side) to connect to this wire and my second monitor.

I am uploading the photo of the wire, please let me know if I am correct and where will I find the connecting wire. Cannot find it in Kol.

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/1000604q.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/1000606dp.jpg

1000604q.jpg

1000606dp.jpg

linux said:
Well, I'm afraid to say that you didn't choose your configuration properly. I'd recommend you this, very recently built 3-Workstation class PCs based on Sandy Bridge processors:

Processor: Core i7-2600K (great OCing, no Vt-d) or 2600 (decent OC, with Vt-d). Both are quad-core, HT with 8 threads, more than enough for 99.9% of today's *enterprise* needs, let alone gaming, encoding blah blah.

Motherboards: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution (2600K), Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 (2600K) and Intel DP67BG Extreme series (2600; most importantly for Vt-d).

RAM: 16GB for each Workstation - 2 x 8GB kits each. 8GB kit - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8.

Graphics cards: Sapphire 5870 DDR5 2GB Eyefinity 6 ed. (1 No) and Sapphire 5850 DDR5 2GB Toxic (2 Nos)

LCD: 12 Nos (6 + 3 + 3; Eyefinity config) - all 27", ViewSonic X Series VX2739WM (obviously, costs a lot but I need them).

PSU:Corsair CMPSU-750HX series, more than sufficient.

SSD: Sata-III based Crucial RealSSD C300 series - 128GB (1 No each for 3 machines)

HDD: WD Black, Sata 6Gb/s with 64MB cache, 2TB (6 Nos; 2 per machine).

Case: NZXT Phantom (1 White and 2 Black); rock solid product.

OSes: Linux (couple of distros) and Windows 7 Professional x64 ed. on Parallels 4.0 Desktop (Virtualization mode).

Those machines are running damn good in my business environment. Rock solid performance, superb Eyefinity experience (eliminates buying lot of PCs!) and best value for money compared to X58/Bloomfield platform for sure.

Note: Most of the Hardware bought from the US, baring components like LCDs, Cases etc. Point is, I don't know the prices in India for my config.

Based on my experience with Design, Modeling and Simulating (Pharma/Bio/IT industries), you don't need Qaudro 4000 cards (overkill) and Xeon Workstation. Well, instead of Dell Xeon Workstations, we use the latest Mac Pros (12 cores; for those expensive highly customized workstations, we chose 2xATI 5770 config per each WS. That's a lot!). My Research staff are very happy working with them, in fact they were shocked to see performance of the latest Hardware.

You get 2 CDs, choose whatever you want. Only one.

Anyway, I would recommend you to go this way:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

That solution would be more useful, backward compatible too (legacy apps, if any).

BTW, how much memory installed on that machine?
Well Linux I doubt I will find the config you mentioned so easily in Kol.

I know quadro is an over kill, but it makes my life easier for long run.

Cinebench benchmarking used to take 1 1/2 hrs on my laptop, with the new machine it takes 1 1/2 minutes. With quadro and 12 GB ram I can start rendering, go get some coffee and by the time I am back its ready. :)

Will soon post different benchmark results here.

Bump

Guys can any one help me with the nvidia quadro display ports to dvi or vga cable for my second monitor?

I cannot find any shop in Kolkata with a display port cable.

I have even tried putting a dvi to vga adapter and its not working. Both my monitor goes blank.

Any suggestions?

Back