Budget 15-20K Phone Purchase in a few days! EDIT: Bought LG Optimus L9

shanx

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 15-20k(may go up by 1k-1.5k)
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT/LCD/AMOLED
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Indian or Chinese local brands!
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Anything with more than 5MP and need a secondary camera
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows ( Open to both)
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G(NFC would also be appreciated!)
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Internet/Messaging/Camera/Lots of whatsapp and skype/Calling
10. Any other requirements?
A: I don't want a dual sim phone!
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lumia 720
Xperia ION

Galaxy Note

I have considered the other three but am also willing to look around for more! Please suggest some good phones in this price bracket!
Thanks a ton guys!

Like Brendon said i own an android tablet ( A 32GB HP Touchpad with CM10.1 and its overclocked) which plays all games smoothly and the only logical upgrade i see is a nexus 7 or 10. Had i not had this i would not even consider WP8. Yes i need a phone to make calls and text, but once in a while i find myself needing some games. My cousin owns a lumia 520 and the WP app store is way too immature still. It will take a lot of time before the apps mature, but we should look down on it. One needs to remember that Android and iOS both went through this once upon a time(but they had less pressure) and WP8 must go through it too. Please guys lets not make this a DROID vs IOS vs WP three way match. I appreciate the valuable input and i thank you all for taking your time to pen down your thoughts. For now i will be getting the Lumia 720 only.

Cheers mateys! :)

Hey Guys i have a question for all of you!
Of late i was reading a few reviews for the Lumia 720 and i came across this in the comments section of most reviews - the Lumia 720 has random screen freeze issues! Many people have had to take it back to a Nokia Store to get it fixed!
Also how would you rate buying an Optimus L9 now? Will it be better than the Lumia 720?

The L9 is not 'better' than the Lumia as they are two different phones. The Lumia has a better camera and a different OS. T

The L9 has a larger screen though which should come in handy while gaming and video playback but the screen size differences isn't that large between the Lumia and Nokia. Both are IPS displays so colours and visibility should be good. However the L9 has slightly higher PPI than the Nokia.

No idea on the random freeze issues though.

It is pertinent to note that LG is launching a L9 II version which should be out anytime now. However given the specs of the LG I would wager it would cost significantly more than the current price of the current LG L9.

Finally if you are fine with grey market devices the HTC One X is now selling for around 17-18k. That has a much better screen than either the LG or the Lumia.

@Brendon thank you so much for your quick reply! I have seen that the LG Optimus L9 2 will be out soon but i am pretty sure that it will come out at the 23k price spot! Frankly speaking to use a phone for a year i dont want to shell out so much now.
I want to know if the Optimus L9 will give me a day of battery life on just whatsapping and a few calls for say 2 hours at max.

Also i am really drawn to the One X but sadly in Kolkata i have not been able to locate any dealer who is offering so much for so little! Most shops here told me the One X is out of the market!!!! I know that's not true but they are adamant and they want to push the One X+ @29k.

And you can google the lumia 720 problem every 5 out of 10 guys will say its happening ![DOUBLEPOST=1373831476][/DOUBLEPOST]Also if any fellow TE member is from Kolkata can you please point out some shop where i can get the One X for around 17k?

Last edited by a moderator:
its a dual core one x :O
I never knew it ever existed in the global variant! This must be a carrier locked device from abroad which after being unlocked is being sold here!
I want to avoid such phones!

If you do go for the L9 then yes it will easily last a day of even heavy usage. It has the same capacity battery of their old flagship the 4X so its decent. No comparison to the Lumia but still will easily last a day.

@Brendon i was about to get the Lumia 720 but the large number of defective pieces is causing me to think twice! I really like that phone but i don want to run to the Nokia Center every now and then to start a phone!
So just whatsapping and texting will get me through a day if not more right??

l9 on ics has great battery life. will get through the day easily even with heavy usage , wifi on all the time.
not sure what went wrong with their jelly bean update, the phone on idle drops 20 to 30 % in a span of 14 hrs

^^ Yup, out of the box you will get ICS. If you find the battery life good for your usage then you can try the JB update.

If you are fine with tinkering and stuff you can even install custom ROMs on the L9 as its relatively easy to root it and install ROMs. Using custom ROMs can help you tweak the processor usage and stuff to help you get more battery life.

For instance on my current custom ROM I can choose the processor profile I want. So I can set it for performance or set it to conservative which will use lower clock speeds by default and increase my battery life.

@shanx if its from the latest batch , you'll get jelly bean out of the box. if you can find a jan-feb manufactured piece, it will be ics
that said, jelly bean has its own advantages and brings a lot of ui improvements .
a)you get the pop up video player like on samsung devices . the video player pops-out and can be moved around whilst doing other things simulataneously
b) lg has its own multi-window where -in you can have two apps open at a time , which can be minimised and moved around on the sccreen. max 2 apps at a time
c) the overall experience is much much more fluid. absolutely lag free . ram usage is better optimised
d)apps can be moved to the sd card. this feature was missing on ics. (note- sd data for heavy games still gets downloaded on internal)
e) some of the games like beach buggy blitz that used to lag on ics, are totally lag-free now

Ok @Brendon what phone are you currently using??[DOUBLEPOST=1373877756][/DOUBLEPOST]@sandeepsachin can you give me a rough estimate of how long the L9 would last on the JB update?? My primary usage is whatsapping and texting and some calls. I hardly watch videos on my driver phone and on rare occasions do i use the camera! Also how well is GPS on this?

@shanx . i can give you an estimate in terms of screen on time .that's the best way to measure a phone's battery life since the screen is the major battery drainer. on an average, you will get 3 hours and fifteen minutes screen on time on your new phone with say an hour of voice calls . in laymans terms- it will last you an entire day very easily
now , a few things to keep in mind. on ics, when i used to check the battery usage, the screen used to be the major battery drainer. now with jelly bean , its phone idle and cell standby . just for a test, i charged the phone to full 100% i left the phone idle for 14 hrs. wi-fi, data everything off.....when i came back to check it , it was 71 % . that's a 30 percent drain. on ics, it used to be only half of this

@shanx - I was also planning to get Lumia 720 for my dad. He is primary going to use to check e-mails on exchange but reading above issues it seems that won't be wise decision. Please let me know your inputs on LG Optimus L9. Also, update on price if you get one.

i am still scouting. Couldn't go today.
Tomorrow morning will check the L9 and the 720 one more time. I am now leaning towards the L9.
The person who i buy from had told me he to take that when i was getting my Xperia P but at that time i got the Xperia P.

Back