Car & Bike Planning to buy Automatic hatchback with safety features

@edge111hussain

In new I have considered then Grand i10 (Sportz or Asta). I know they lack ABS and airbags but since my family liked the Xcent I think grand i10 is a logical choice.

But sometimes I see that buying second hand gives me opportunity to buy a good car (with dealership warranty) for lesser price.

Also above i20 Asta option I mentioned, at the listed price is still 2.5 lakh less than a new grand i10 but a bigger and more spacious car.

Also at mileage of 37K Kms, would you buy the exact same car if it would have been a manual ?
Any specific reason why same car in Auto is a bad deal ?[DOUBLEPOST=1408421066][/DOUBLEPOST]@edge111hussain

Sorry, quoting you again to draw your attention. How does this look ? I have no idea how much they bargain (the broker dalal dealer).

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-mumbai/hyundai-i10-D612913/

Last edited:
@edge111hussain

In new I have considered then Grand i10 (Sportz or Asta). I know they lack ABS and airbags but since my family liked the Xcent I think grand i10 is a logical choice.

But sometimes I see that buying second hand gives me opportunity to buy a good car (with dealership warranty) for lesser price.

Also above i20 Asta option I mentioned, at the listed price is still 2.5 lakh less than a new grand i10 but a bigger and more spacious car.

Also at mileage of 37K Kms, would you buy the exact same car if it would have been a manual ?
Any specific reason why same car in Auto is a bad deal ?[DOUBLEPOST=1408421066][/DOUBLEPOST]@edge111hussain

Sorry, quoting you again to draw your attention. How does this look ? I have no idea how much they bargain (the broker dalal dealer).

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-mumbai/hyundai-i10-D612913/
Personally if i have to go AT, i wouldnt buy second hand period. If thats my only option, then i wouldnt buy a car, manual or AT beyond 15k-20k and 3-4 yrs. Personally since we have owned a few cars, all the maintenance issues start after the 4th yr.
If you intend to buy a car today. keep it for a yr or 2 and then sell it off, then maybe one can push the kms or time frame. But if this is it, be patient and look out for a good deal.
Also if online is what your looking, you are bound to pay a premium. Check with local mechanics. You will shell out a good 20% or so less. i.e- 20% for 4 L is 80k less. Thats a big less and a lot more options.

The only problem here is that cause you only want an AT, your options in second hand will really narrow down. They anyway sell less and will have even lesser nos in the second hand mkt.

Abt ur last link, check with local mechanic what should be the price of a second hand and make him a reduced offer. Bargain like crazy. Remember, this is an individual and not hyundai India ur buying from, he needs the money too :)

@edge111hussain

The last one 2011 is from a dealer and not an individual. Also yes with an automatic, I am limited by choices and options. But the i10 looks to be fairly new with 18K on ODO.
It looks good but still thoroughly check the car. Check for basic wear and tear and tyres.
Engine sound and sound in cabin when car is in neutral. accident record (for this u will need a mechanic to check the body from the inside.)
Most importantly check for rust. If there is any present, stay away.

Do Bargain...

It looks good but still thoroughly check the car. Check for basic wear and tear and tyres.
Engine sound and sound in cabin when car is in neutral. accident record (for this u will need a mechanic to check the body from the inside.)
Most importantly check for rust. If there is any present, stay away.

Do Bargain...

Thanks for the inputs.
When you say rust, what all sections of the car i should check for rust ?

Also I know you do not prefer cars with high mileage. But what do you think of the maroon i20 Asta from 2010 with 38K on ODO ? I am asking because it is from Mahindra First Choice with 1 year warranty (no idea what it covers and how good these warranties are) and RSA.
I know 20K difference (mileage) is pretty high between the i10 and i20.
I am not too much concerned about FE since I know with my limited running I can live with it.

Also what is a good price for both the cars you think ? I mean after bargain price ?

Btw the white i10 listing seems having errors.
Under standard features, I see "fog lights" but from the picture I can clearly see no fog lights are there. Also it mentions ABS/Airbags, did sportz version of 2011 i10 AT have these 2 ?

Last edited:
The under body and open the hood and check there too. Also check the alloys. A friends 3 yr old i20 alloy is completely worn off. I wouldnt pay more than 3.5 maxx for the car. That too considering its an AT.

A friend last yr got a 4 yr old SX4 from Sai Service. He gave his 10 yr old hyundai ascent and paid 3.25l over and above. Its a vxi variant. The original listing without exchange was 5.25. Assuming the mkt value of ascent is 1L, the balance is what he reduced.

Last edited:
Yeah I understand what you are saying. It is like I am going nowhere. :(
Just that i am considering options. But yes Sedans is something I cannot buy due to city usage and parking issues. Hatchback it has to be.
That is why i listed the above. Ignore the City CVT listing.
And this is the one I plan to see this coming weekend, if it is still unsold.

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-mumbai/hyundai-i20-2008-2010-d607637/

Does this look any good ?
the hyundai steering rattle is an achilles heel in all their Is prio to the i20elite & the grand. do a proper TD before signing the dotted line.

the hyundai steering rattle is an achilles heel in all their Is prio to the i20elite & the grand. do a proper TD before signing the dotted line.

Thanks for this info. I am not in any hurry so I am absorbing all the information all of you are putting here. Many things are alien to me w.r.t. cars and this and such threads help me understand some of the things.

Btw i read on Team Bhp, one member mentioned that the Grand i10 AT may be discontinued. This sucks. Not sure what may be the reason. Also this is just a post made by a member and not from some website or something.

145988d1409796718t-next-trend-automatic-gearbox-car.jpg

I wish automatics pick up because only them the monopoly will break and prices will come down. On top of that, we need local manufacturing of AT Gearboxes for lowering the final cost.
And last but not least, manufacturers should not skimp on safety features when it comes to automatics.

I wish automatics pick up because only them the monopoly will break and prices will come down. On top of that, we need local manufacturing of AT Gearboxes for lowering the final cost.
And last but not least, manufacturers should not skimp on safety features when it comes to automatics.

I guess they will pick up considering how the traffic situation is going in most metros. Personally, I wouldn't prefer an automatic as it takes away the feeling of driving away :p

Personally, I wouldn't prefer an automatic as it takes away the feeling of driving away :p
Can you describe this "feeling of driving" in stop-go traffic where your car moves one meter every minute?

Also is there any point in F1 racing since they do not have a clutch and hence aren't feeling anything? Do you avoid driving go-karts? I have a lot of fun in them, but I worry you might not feel anything since there are no gears.
This guy looks like he's enjoying his driving. Can you guess what transmission is being used? :

Can you describe this "feeling of driving" in stop-go traffic where your car moves one meter every minute?

Also is there any point in F1 racing since they do not have a clutch and hence aren't feeling anything? Do you avoid driving go-karts? I have a lot of fun in them, but I worry you might not feel anything since there are no gears.
This guy looks like he's enjoying his driving. Can you guess what transmission is being used? :

Like in the sentence that you quoted, I said personally I would prefer manual and that is just my opinion. Yes you are correct that many times the traffic is pretty much stop and go and an automatic would be so much better. But there are times when the fun of manually moving from first to second to third to fourth on a highway just has a great feeling. I don't think it is a feeling I can put in words. Again, I did not say that automatics are crap or anything so I am not sure why you sound defensive.

The decisions taken while building F1 cars cannot be compared to decisions taken while building consumer cars. I know squat about F1 cars but a Google search shows that since 2014, F1 cars are required to use a sequential manual gearbox similar in function of a motorbike gearbox. This is taken directly from the F1 site - http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_f1_racing/5280.html

"Despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill."

Maybe I am not understanding the the F1 point correctly but then I have already admitted, I don't know squat about F1.

Also for the video you linked, I never mentioned that automatics are boring to drive; I simply said to me manual transmission is a lot more enjoyable even though it has downsides in heavy traffic. Yes that guy seems to be enjoying driving a buggy, there is no doubt about it. I am not sure how you compare the experience of driving a buggy or a go-kart to driving a 6-speed manual transmission on a highway.

But there are times when the fun of manually moving from first to second to third to fourth on a highway just has a great feeling.
I am not sure how you compare the experience of driving a buggy or a go-kart to driving a 6-speed manual transmission on a highway.
>>
I want car for commuting in city of Mumbai. I may never take the car out of city I think since I personally prefer to do highway journeys and such in volvo and such buses.

Edited

Last edited:
Bhai Log Jhagda mat karo :p

So for now I am not sure if and when I will buy the car but considerations were these...

1. Hyundai Grand i10 - No safeTy features and last week when I visited a dealer, he says sportz AT is discontinued and only Asta AT is available - OTR 7.2 Lakh Mumbai.
2. Honda Brio VX AT - Has safety features but car looks mini and boot is very less. Family did not like it. OTR 7.6 Lakh Mumbai
3. Maruti Celerio AMT - Did not bother to check yet. Not sure if I should, may be once.
4. Hyundai Xcent S(O) AT - Grand i10 AT plus Boot minus keyless start minus some other grand i10 feature plus ABS. - 7.6 Lakh OTR Mumbai
5. Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT - Same as S(AT) + 2 airbags + ACC + bells and whistles of the grand i10. - 8.6 Lakh OTR
6. Nissan Micra CVT - Have unpredictable future of this company and car in India. But car was good.

Its been 3 months.
Updates?

Now dont tell me you're gonna wait till october next year when the government makes the ABS and Airbags mandatory.

Its been 3 months.
Updates?

Now dont tell me you're gonna wait till october next year when the government makes the ABS and Airbags mandatory.

Hatchbacks are out. It has to be a small sedan or proper sedan now. Also not sure when I will buy as something else is going on in life.

raks, I would like to know whether you're interested in Tata Nano.

You see even today that car feels relatively easy to drive in stop start traffic.

If you are purchasing a vehicle for only city commute. I would request you to not waste money on automatics.

Please don't take my suggestion otherwise.

Back