PlayStation 4 - News, Rumors & Speculations

dragon_unleashed

I KNOW NOTHING
Adept
ps4-corel.jpg

Ah, PS4. Talk has been raging on for years now, actually many thought Sony would abandon PS3 because of what they perceived to be its many failings and rush unto the next. Well that’s not the case, but that doesn’t mean the hardware giant isn’t already thinking of its next-gen system. Surely you’ve heard of the many rumors claiming that Sony has already settled on the specs of PS4?

Well we don’t have nothing concrete yet, but speaking to PlayStation: The Official Magazine, Sony fan and freelance designer Tai Chiem, who’s drawn some awesome looking prototypes of what PS4 could look like, including some of the specs, divulged his reasons for doing so.

“[I wanted] to challenge myself to design something based on a current company while keeping their design language,†he told the mag, “but also taking it further.â€

“I wanted it to look like something Sony would design.â€

His prototype design is far reaching and extremely technical, so can these lofty visions be realized? Chiem thinks it’s not even a question of if, but rather when.

“Flexible touchscreen technology is currently being developed, so it’s definitely a possibility,†he continued. “I have seen companies such as Samsung developing transparent screens. While it’s costs prohibitive to have these features at the moment, I think it would be feasible in the next five to ten years.â€

The pics are below and I’m sure you’ve seen them before, so what ya think?

ps4-nice-man.jpg

ps4-nice-again-man.jpg

ps4-nice-again-again-man1.jpg

Article Source:- Games Thirst

PlayStation 4 in production by end of year?

Sony is planning to launch a follow-up to the PlayStation 3 next year, DigiTimes is reporting. Citing "Taiwan-based component makers," DigiTimes says production on the console will start at the end of this year. However, the component makers did not say exactly when next year the device might launch.

Though DigiTimes' sources call Sony's next console the PlayStation 4, it's important to note that the company has yet to even announce its next console, let alone name it.

DigiTimes didn't report on the device's graphical capabilities, but the publication's sources said the console will boast a Kinect-like feature, allowing users to play games with only the movement of their bodies.

The DigiTimes report comes just a few months after game blog Kotaku cited its own sources saying that neither Sony nor Microsoft were planning to launch follow-ups to their current consoles until 2014. So far, however, neither company has said for sure when they might release new hardware.

If Sony does release a new console next year, it won't be alone. Earlier this year, Nintendo unveiled plans to release its follow-up to the Wii, called Wii U. The device promises better graphical capabilities and a new controller that boasts a 6.2-inch touch screen. Nintendo hasn't said exactly when the Wii U will hit store shelves next year or how much it will cost.

If DigiTimes' sources are correct, Sony has high hopes for its next console. In 2012 alone, according to the publication's sources, Sony expects to ship 20 million units.

Source: Report: PlayStation 3 successor launching in 2012 | The Digital Home - CNET News

Re: PlayStation 4 in production by end of year?

Its a bit funny about the part where they say they are unsure on what the name will be.

First gen- Playstation

Second gen- Playstation 2

Third gen - Playstation 3

Fourth gen - Playstation 4 !!! :p

Oh! then in future it maybe XBox720 series VS PS4.

I'll wait further more for Xbox 1440 vs PS5 :p

No next-gen PlayStation for 'quite some time,' says Tretton

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) boss Jack Tretton has indicated that a successor to the PlayStation 3 won’t see the light of day anytime soon.

Chatting with Forbes, Tretton said PS3 is only just ‘hitting its stride,’ and insisted that Sony is fully focused on supporting its flagship console as well as the upcoming PlayStation Vita for quite some time.

"PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride," said Tretton. "And technologically, I don't think it's possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have."

"What we've seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3," he said.

"We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we've got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn't look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time."

Elsewhere, the executive also touched on the announcement of Nintendo’s Wii U console, saying he didn’t see anything about the new hardware that would encourage Sony to get a new platform out the door.

"I think there's ground to be carved out for everybody. But I didn't see anything about Nintendo's announcement that said 'Oh, we'd better get working on rolling out a new PlayStation here pretty soon.'

"Our attitude is kind of 'welcome to the party.' If you're looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you're looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us,” he added.

PSU

"And technologically, I don't think it's possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have."

I beg to differ!

The CPU is based on an ancient architecture for heaven's sake!

^Maybe he meant w.r.t features. When Sony launched the PS3, it was a major improvement over PS2 not just in terms of graphics but also as a multimedia system. It introduced the blu-ray which at that time was a big thing. And with the recent launch of the move controller, it has introduced motion gaming to PS3 as well. They are not entirely wrong when they say - "It only does everything". I don't see how PS4 can significantly improve over the PS3 if its launched in the next couple of years. The only thing it can improve upon are the graphics and that too not by a great margin as PS3 is already more than capable of delivering respectable graphics. For PS4 to truly succeed it has to introduce to the gaming world the next big thing which in my humble opinion will be 3D Gaming. But given with the current ridiculous pricing of 3D TVs, it can be a while before 3D technology goes mainstream. Motion gaming too can become the next big thing but the technology currently available is average at best, it may take several years for them to master the art of motion gaming and deliver some truly spectacular games for us to warrant getting a new console.

Oh yes, for 2006, it was 3-4 years ahead easily, true (the graphics chip wasnt, and I wonder why they chose 256MB system ram when they could have easily gone for 512MB and that would have helped out a lot. It may be because they chose the XDR ram that noone else uses in commercial products)

Learning from the past, sony has a habit of letting it's platforms mature over a long period of time. PS3 is only getting mature, not every game has yet unlocked it's full potential, there is still a long way to go for the PS3. I would say atleast another 3 Yrs.

comp@ddict said:
I beg to differ!

The CPU is based on an ancient architecture for heaven's sake!
I think you're confusing the PS3 with the 360. PS3's CPU ain't half bad, though the GPU is.

PS3's CPU ain't half bad, though the GPU is.

Well, 8 cores okay, but they are severly weak cores.

Compare them to a core from today's desktop processors and, well they aren't comparable with C2D cores too, they are weak.

Since Sony only just released the ps move, it will only release the ps4 after making the maximum profit from ps move.

Since Sony only just released the ps move, it will only release the ps4 after making the maximum profit from ps move.

or make PS Move compatible with PS4

We are not going to see ps4 very soon....

There is long way to go for ps3

There not much game that have used 90% of ps3 till now

Back