Video Pls suggest a 42"+ Full HD LCD TV

lol yea I had read about it being out of production before I bought it. I even checked out the prices of replacement lamp for it. It should serve the purpose till the prices of Full HD LCDs fall to reasonable levels.

espeez said:
lol yea I had read about it being out of production before I bought it. I even checked out the prices of replacement lamp for it. It should serve the purpose till the prices of Full HD LCDs fall to reasonable levels.

Congrats for your purchase! Even I got 50" Sony 3LCD for myself few months back after going through endless demos and research (check my past threads if interested). It cost me 75K with free stand. Thats a great bang for bucks!

IMHO, plasmas/LCDs still have to mature a lot before they become completely acceptable and worth their price. Till then my 3LCD will fill in nicely.

How does 3LCDs being out of production affects us? (I am still not sure whether its true). As long as replacement lamps are available or they do not go irreparably bad, this should not be a serious factor.

^ Yes, and you guys have bought Sony. Be rest assured that you will get quality service.

Congrats, do post some pics espeez, and rshri's pics are still due ;)

Hello all. This is something worth knowing guys . I found this info on Is Toshiba's Regza successor to Sharp’s famous Aquos. [Archive] - AV Forums and i thought of sharing it with you guys :) For all the LCD people out there, this is something you all ought to know. Some of you might be knowing it but still.

A little info about the LCD panels:

PVA, MVA, S-PVA and P-MVA panels are the best for compressed videos and have good black levels. S-PVA is the king of all VA panels.

IPS, S-IPS and AS-IPS causes noise /pixilation on compressed and digitally transferred videos and has inferior black levels to competitors. However, it’s excellent for gaming.

ASV used by Sharp and several high-end Philips is simply awesome, at least the ones manufactured in Japan and not in China/Taiwan.

TN are purely budget based LCDs. They have narrow viewing angles, poor color, low contrast, poor black levels, noise/pixilation on compressed and digitally transferred videos and prone mura effect. However, it’s very cheap and has very low response time.

As a generalization... for contrast ratios n black levels its S-PVA and color accuracy its S-IPS...I guess for TVs S-PVA will prob be the best....

The new Sony's are all S-PVA and the colour reproduction is fantastic to say the least.

I've seen a Philips 40" ASV panel and its really really good.

The easy way to distinguish between a ASV and non-ASV Philips is the absence of the 'Ambilight' feature in the former.

sony will be launching in 4Q of this year some new models like sony KLV-40W300A this model has a contrast ratio of 1800 or 2000 based on the samsung SPVA panel and his Full Hd other models are KLV-40X300A this model has 100hz and Full HD.another model KLV-40D300A this model is not Full HD but has 100HZ.

Sony KLV 40" = 1366x768 (1.1L)

Samsung Mosel 40" = 1920x1080 (1.4L) (Plus better IQ and black levels than the 40V)

Go figure! :p

^ Are you sure ? I guess you posted in another thread that's its an HD ready panel ;)

I'll never go for Sony blindly anyways, will have to demo the set and then comment, but the new LCD's from Sony have been very impressive!

Finally I picked up the Sony Bravia 55E200A projection TV.

Though its 720p the size and quality of the image is pretty awesome. It cost me 99k and the guy threw in a free stand with the TV. It seems a little big for a bedroom but its fun watching Jack Bauer do his stuff lifesize! The guys didnt have the 50" ones in stock(which seemed a lil better VFM)
Dear Espeez

Planning to buy this same very TV
was hoping to get some feedback from you now that you have had the tv for a while
please write back giving me your current opinion on the tv and what functions you use the tv for
will greatly appreciate your inputs
also the tv stand that the shop keeper threw in free was the original sony stand or just any other stand?

regards

Dev

@Dev Am pretty happy with the TV. The image is huge since my viewing distance is just arnd 14-15 feet. I dont watch much of cable except for the cricket matches..which looks pretty cool...makes me think like i am in one of those sports bars. I have hooked up my dvd player to its HDMI.. the pictures are pretty crisp and clear. Have also hooked up my upscaling hdd player to its component in...watching series like las vegas and csi miami is a treat on such a big screen. Played a few PS2 games on it and the racing games on it is fun. Am waiting on the DVI-HDMI cable to hook up my pc to check out 720p HD content and if it looks good might get a dedicated htpc for it. The TV's got some split screen and freeze frame functions which apart from just testing it is of hardly any use.

The depth isnt too big either..sticks out just a lil more than 2 feet from the wall. Moving the TV a lil front to add connections is the only problem I have faced till now - gotta call another person to hold it while moving it front. The remote is a thin long guy prone to falling off the sofa/table easy. And of course keeping the curtains closed during the day helps display better/brighter images too.

The Sony World guys came and hooked it up pretty fast. Its also got 3(or 4 i dont rem) free services in the first year..dunno what they will actually do but havnt got it serviced yet. And yea the TV stand is the original Sony stand @ 7990 MRP. Am sure you can get a better deal for this now from the Sony World guys - just twist thier arms a lil mo :)

Will hang onto this until a full HD 40'+ LCDs prices fall to more saner levels.

Espeez
Thanx for the quick reply
stragely enough the stand i saw the tv on in the show room (had to go to Vashi Sony World as the ones in town dont keep projection tvs anymore!) was price at a MRP of 15999 and i was offered a 1000 rs discount which i declined
Meanwhile have asked a carpenter to make me a stand in a wood finish as the room i plan to place the tv in has a lot of wood in a similar colour
My viewing distance too is approximately 12-14 feet, curtains are always drawn as it is a tv/gaming room
my viewing too is limited to cricket and races on cable, i use a divx player or a hdd player for divxs too and am glad to now its nice on it.
How ever i dont know about whether my hdd player is upscaling or not, what is the player u use?
Currently the TV is MRP of 99,990 and they are offering a discount of 7k max, I think it is value for money, what did u pay in june when u bought it?
I dont know if this sort of a tv really needs a service unless there is a problem and would also avoid getting anything done unless required
I expect the Tv to be delivered over the weekend and will give you my feedback after a few days of use
I have seen the Tv in the showrrom but seeing it there and actually using it at home is a different ballgame
talk to you on this again soon
regards

Dev

Thanx guys

It seems Sony is focusing more on selling the 55

they have dropped the price of the 55 but the price of the 50 remains the same!!!!

hey could some1 here tell me if 8-12 feet viewing distance is good enough for the 55e200a?? i mean i hope u dont see pixels and all and if it is too much strain on the eyes?

Back