Pogoplug Pro - $29.95 - Approx. 2.75k shipped - Low power download box etc

akshay7g said:
Use the coupon "SHOP100OFF" to get extra 100 off. BTW this is the actual quote I recieved.

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 2753

International Shipping: Rs. 408

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 601

- DISCOUNT - Rs. 100

----------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 3662

Its little more than yours. Those buggers!!

Well, i knew there was a 100 bucks off coupon, but forgot to search for it.

Also, my quote was checked by the person I spoke to on the customer care, so obviously your item cost is a bit high. Anyways, best for you is to speak to them tomorrow and ask.

vivek.krishnan said:
Well, i knew there was a 100 bucks off coupon, but forgot to search for it.

Also, my quote was checked by the person I spoke to on the customer care, so obviously your item cost is a bit high. Anyways, best for you is to speak to them tomorrow and ask.

According to Varkey, in your case NY tax wasnt added with US local shipping but it was added later with the total customs. Just the opposite in my case. They added just 3$ as customs in your case and 4$ in my case.

akshay7g said:
According to Varkey, in your case NY tax wasnt added with US local shipping but it was added later with the total customs. Just the opposite in my case. They added just 3$ as customs in your case and 4$ in my case.

Yup! Will try to see if they can adjust the 100 bucks off, but TBH, well, might let this one slide past.

Spoke to varkey aka vivek on the phone, got a bit of my doubts cleared.

sata port multiplier ~ too expensive for now, @ roughly 6K.

usb wifi ~ just needs to have it flashed in the kernel, has to be done custom, but problem is that each new version of debian means will have to do the process again.

usb hub support ~ works great, no issues

sata specs ~ 3Gbps, port multiplier support, which is great news.

gbe speed with sata ~ 30~40 MBps with laptop hdds, so expecting 70~ 80 with my desktop ones (when i get a gbe switch). ;)

vivek.krishnan said:
Yup! Will try to see if they can adjust the 100 bucks off, but TBH, well, might let this one slide past.

Spoke to varkey aka vivek on the phone, got a bit of my doubts cleared.

sata port multiplier ~ too expensive for now, @ roughly 6K.

usb wifi ~ just needs to have it flashed in the kernel, has to be done custom, but problem is that each new version of debian means will have to do the process again.

usb hub support ~ works great, no issues

sata specs ~ 3Gbps, port multiplier support, which is great news.

gbe speed with sata ~ 30~40 MBps with laptop hdds, so expecting 70~ 80 with my desktop ones (when i get a gbe switch). ;)

Im on the same boat as you. I too cleared same queries with Varkey :)

Yeah that HDD case would have been good for NAS. Its price will be back to 100$ soon making it a sweet deal. Wish i had the money to go for it.

@vivek.krishnan : SATA Port Multiplier - Not 6k, but around 4k but adding the power supply, a case etc will make it really expensive. You can get the 4 Bay Enclosure for 6.3k which includes everything.

Or Were you asking for a SATA controller which supports a Port Multiplier? I'm confused now! :S

USB Wifi : You can upgrade Debian, only if you want to change the kernel, it will be a problem. The necessary modifications for the GoFlex Net are still not accepted into the main stream kernel, if it was then you could have used the default Kernel coming with Debian.

varkey said:
@vivek.krishnan : SATA Port Multiplier - Not 6k, but around 4k but adding the power supply, a case etc will make it really expensive. You can get the 4 Bay Enclosure for 6.3k which includes everything.

Or Were you asking for a SATA controller which supports a Port Multiplier? I'm confused now! :S

USB Wifi : You can upgrade Debian, only if you want to change the kernel, it will be a problem. The necessary modifications for the GoFlex Net are still not accepted into the main stream kernel, if it was then you could have used the default Kernel coming with Debian.

6K with the whole thing, but even at 4K with a good PSU and case would still cost ~ 5K.

I was planning to connect 3xSATA Desktop drives, maybe 4 of them ( If i don't sell a 2TB to sunny27), to one of the SATA ports. The other would be converted into a eSATA port. Now, either would be good, provided it does the work that it needs to. The USB will be for the hub which will support a wifi usb dongle and maybe the usb sound card (forgot to ask you about that!), plus a usb scanner which i plan to get soon (not supported in w7 64)

On the whole, would stick to a realtek based wifi card (support from varkey on that!). For now, getting a cheap GbE switch is next on the list.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Read up on this : Addonics Technology: Port Multiplier Tutorial

I will be needing a port multiplier which can take the 1 port and branch it into 5 ports. Casing and PSU optional, can build it myself.

varkey said:
For Wifi, you can try this adapter -- ASUS USB-N10 150MBPS WI-FI ADAPTER N DONGLE | eBay

Seems to be based on the Realtek 8192 chipset which will work fine the kernel I have.

PM Controller, this one -- Amazon.com: Addonics 5X1 eSATA 5 x 7-pin Serial ATA/300 Serial ATA Port Multiplier AD5SARPM-E: Electronics ?

Thanks for the N10, was planning to get one anyways for the desktop when it goes into HTPC mode.

As far as the multipliers go, will have to wait as IMO its too expensive for me as of now. Plus coupled with the fact that a GbE switch will be needed at the very least.

dinjo said:
Thanks varkey for the answers.

I really wanted to avoid ethernet switch.

@honest1
You can use EXT3 in Windows by installing EXT2FSD on windows.

I was hoping pogo plug pro would work the same way as router so i plug my WAN cable from modem to pogo plug and connect my pc via ethernet cable plugged into pogoplug would it work ?

The price is back again to $29.95

dinjo said:
I was hoping pogo plug pro would work the same way as router so i plug my WAN cable from modem to pogo plug and connect my pc via ethernet cable plugged into pogoplug would it work ?

The price is back again to $29.95

There is only one ethernet jack. How are you going to connect both? Using a USB LAN card?

Even with a lower pricing for the plug, will let this one slide, as for 1K more the Flex will be a much better device. Now to go and find Canara bank near my location to deposit the money.

Or if you plan to use a USB connection, as varkey said for the wifi dongle, you might need to include extra customizations in the kernel.

@all

for benefit of those considering goflex as a nas solution with multiple hdds, Varkey and me have done extensive r&d and zeroed on the best vfm addition being the 4 bay enclosure branded sans digital or the like. both of us using this setup, and it works beautifully.

dheerajjotwani said:
@all

for benefit of those considering goflex as a nas solution with multiple hdds, Varkey and me have done extensive r&d and zeroed on the best vfm addition being the 4 bay enclosure branded sans digital or the like. both of us using this setup, and it works beautifully.

Do you have any links to the product page? Cost? Where did you procure it from?

Back