Pogoplug Pro - $29.95 - Approx. 2.75k shipped - Low power download box etc

Pink does not have Wifi or Sata Port.Does anyone knows whats the usual timing for shipping from ICC World ?

Date Time Location Service Area Details

November 28, 2011 0006 NEW YORK AWAITING THE ITEM FROM SELLER

November 28, 2011 0000 NEW YORK SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED

Hey guys i went through the links posted by varkey on the first page and this is what i inferred from it

1.after getting pogo plug pro i have to install arch linux on it using a usb or a Harddrive so iam assuming archlinux is a OS

2.in order to download torrents i have to install torrent clients like transmission or utorrent in pogoplug pro in Arch linux

is my understanding correct?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i have widnows 7 now do i need to install Linux in order to setup pogpoplug pro to download torrentS?

1. Arch Linux[yes its a tweaked OS] goes to Pogo plug pro memory not in USB or HDD , all plugins are installed on HDD/USB.

2. I don't think they have a built torrent client so yes you have to get Linux to download torrents.

You don't need linux on your pc you will just need putty to telnet/ssh into pogo plug.

Oh nice i have used putty before so i guess i wont be having problem with that

if there are not built torrent client how do i make my plug to download torrents? can you gimme links to any tuts for that?

^ That's why you get Arch Linux installed on Pogoplug.

PogoPlug supports NTFS , FAT32 , EXT2 and EXT3, but since everyone would be installing Arch Linux it makes sense to have ext3.

Also i need confirmation from someone on it, from FAQ it says

"You need Router to attach to Pogoplug"

Now i really want to avoid it since currently i have D-Link GLB 802C Modem which only has 1 Ethernet port and i thought Pogo Plug would act as a routing device and would eventually replace my router.So I would now gonna need a modem/router for my MTNL Connection any suggestions here which one to get.

vivek.krishnan said:
Well, was assuming that having a GbE switch was pointless then. Thanks.

BTW, what if i connect the HDD internally to the SATA port? Any idea on speeds, as that is my plan eventually.

Well, even with USB, you get double the transfer rates minimum.

I have not tried the Pogoplug Pro, but on the GoFlex Net, I get around 30-40 MB/s with a SATA HDD over Samba. Locally if you try a dd command you can get the almost the full speed of the hard disk. But using it over Samba or NFS it gets slower. Maybe due to the additional processor or controller overhead.
Kevin Lane said:
Between Asus n13u and pogoplug, which is a better option for torrents?

IMO, that would be the Pogoplug! :p
dinjo said:
Pink does not have Wifi or Sata Port.Does anyone knows whats the usual timing for shipping from ICC World ?

Date Time Location Service Area Details
November 28, 2011 0006 NEW YORK AWAITING THE ITEM FROM SELLER
November 28, 2011 0000 NEW YORK SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED
The ICC takes around 2-3 days for the product to reach Mumbai from the US. After that its usually shipped by BlueDart and in most cases reaches the next day. The major delay here is for the seller to ship the item and for it to be delivered at their US location.

honest1 said:
I would be connecting one USB HDD to the Pogo, so it has to be as per Linux partition?
An ext3 partition would be better if you are planning to access the HDD contents only over the network as it would give much better network transfer rates. If you plan to cycle the hard disk between your Windows PC and others, then go for NTFS.

dinjo said:
Now i really want to avoid it since currently i have D-Link GLB 802C Modem which only has 1 Ethernet port and i thought Pogo Plug would act as a routing device and would eventually replace my router.So I would now gonna need a modem/router for my MTNL Connection any suggestions here which one to get.

Well, the GLB-802C is a Modem + Router, just attach a switch to the ethernet port and you are good to go.

^ No. From what I've read till now, the SATA port on the Pro doesn't support Port Multiplying which is necessary for that enclosure to work. It works on the Seagate GoFlex Net though.

Thanks varkey for the answers.

I really wanted to avoid ethernet switch.

@honest1

You can use EXT3 in Windows by installing EXT2FSD on windows.

Guys, spoke to honest1 today afternoon, and he said that the prices for the pogoplug have gone back to the old amount ~ 50USD.

So will have to get the go flex net, can anyone help out on this? Have no netbanking option, neither do i have a CC to buy this specifically. honest1 cannot buy this on my behalf.

Getting a quote of 3411 for this from http://www.shopabroadonline.com.

Item price + local shipping + taxes RS. 2,625.97

International Shipping RS. 408.00

Duty, Taxes & fees RS. 377.34

Update: Spoke to the CC @ shopabroad, they said i can use banktransfer to pay them! yipee! :hap2:

kanishk619 said:
hmm, also there is seagate goflex net available directly from seagate @ 49.99$.

File Sharing | Hard drive sharing | Share files | FreeAgent | GoFlex Net | Seagate

@Varkey

Can you please share any info on this product if you have.

GoFlex Net is way better than the Pogoplug Pro except the inbuilt Wifi. But comes with two easily accessible SATA Ports. I had written a small comparison between the two in one of my previous posts.

Considering that the price for the Pro and GoFlex Net is the same, go for the GoFlex Net :)

Sorry for the delay, its a live quote. They had mailed me back with an updated quote:

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 2549

International Shipping: Rs. 408

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 753

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 3710

Will be doing a bank deposit tomorrow first thing in the morning.

BTW varkey, is it possible to get a USB Wifi Adapter and run this on wifi?

^ Yep. Have done the same myself. Just get a cheap adapter, but depending on the adapter you may need to compile a custom kernel with the drivers embedded to make it work.

Check my site for few GoFlex Net specific guides. :)

vivek.krishnan said:
Sorry for the delay, its a live quote. They had mailed me back with an updated quote:

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 2549

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 753

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 3710

Use the coupon "SHOP100OFF" to get extra 100 off. BTW this is the actual quote I recieved.
Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 2753
Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 601
- DISCOUNT - Rs. 100
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL Rs. 3662

Its little more than yours. Those buggers!!

Back